Jeans on a cruise

I hear so much conflicting information and I'm confused.

We are taking our first cruise out of Galveston to the Caribbean on Carnival Conquest.

Is it acceptable in the dining room on casual nights for my 19 yr old son to wear jeans, a collared shirt and nice shoes? I'm not worried about formal night because he's bringing a suit but he doesn't have Docker type casual pants and I don't really want to buy something he's going to wear only one week. Carnival's website says shorts and tshirts are forbidden but doesn't mention jeans.

Also is the only option for girls (13) in the same dining area to wear capris or skirts?

Thanks for your help.

We are taking our first cruise out of Galveston to the Caribbean on Carnival Conquest.

Is it acceptable in the dining room on casual nights for my 19 yr old son to wear jeans, a collared shirt and nice shoes? I'm not worried about formal night because he's bringing a suit but he doesn't have Docker type casual pants and I don't really want to buy something he's going to wear only one week. Carnival's website says shorts and tshirts are forbidden but doesn't mention jeans.

Also is the only option for girls (13) in the same dining area to wear capris or skirts?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, it is acceptable to the ship's staff. Girls are the same (slacks, jeans, skorts, no shorts). They provide you with a guideline, but they will not stop them from coming into the dining room :). I did buy my teenage son some slacks and he did wear them to dinner, then jeans right after dinner. During the day, no swim suits, etc. At night, no tank tops, flip flops, shorts. Use good judgement and you will be fine :). I always found some decent slacks at a discount store on clearance ($7-10) or you can always find a thrift shop. He will always have an occasion to wear slacks again at some point! Happy cruising!

You'll get a thousand opinions for sure.

Buy him a pair of khaki colored "big boy" pants and a cool looking tropical print shirt. Simple outfit with style. At 19 years old he needs to learn to wear big boy clothes because life isn't all about jeans. I think even if he wears nice shoes and a shirt with jeans it's going to look out of synch.

The other poster made a good point, you camalways buy a pair at a thrift store. Who knows, if he does it for one night he might like the look and you can always tell him he'll be a chick magnet :)

Thanks for your help.

I like your screen name Kalamari! I have a son, he is 19 also. When we sail in November, he knows I will not want to see him in jeans, in the dining room, other than the first night. He will wear what I buy for him (I know I can get him 3-4 shirts for about $5 ea and a few pairs of slacks for less than $10 each). There will always be a wedding, funeral or some other occasion where he cannot wear those awful hip hugger jeans! (yes, he likes hip huggers, girls jeans....Oh Lord!). Everyone has an opinion, but on the following: Carnival, NCL, RCI and Celebrity, I have seen jeans, blue, black or otherwise. They are heavy, they are hot and I do not find them comfortable, but the children do! So, to answer the question: yes, they can wear them! ;) But, I would also tell him to put on some big boy pants for the 2 hours at dinner! LOL! Have a great cruise!

You will see plenty of jeans, especially in that age group on Carnival...just not on formal night.

I'm not passing judgement on whether he should wear them or not...just telling you he will not be out of place.

The nice shirt and shoes will help! I can understand not wanting to buy special clothes he'll only wear once. I'm always hearing advice on here about finding things at a thrift shop, but I've personally never seen anything I'd wear anywear in a thrift shop. BUT, maybe I've just not been to a good one!

When I was on Conquest in October, jeans were somewhat common in the dining room on the casual nights, but mainly the first and last ones. However, I agree with the above posters who suggest getting one or two pair of twill pants for your son to wear instead. Denim is hot in the Caribbean. But more importantly, our children need to learn that there is a time for certain attire and that is the well-mannered thing to do (abide by the posted dress codes), so this will not be so much of a shock as they get older.

Your daughter can wear slacks or the capris and skirts you mentioned for casual nights and will be fine.

I've noticed that sometimes older teens will balk at a change in their clothing routine, and they haven't even "tried" it before. There are some neat outfits out there that look quite comfortable and cool.

The other thing is he seems to not mind having to wear a suit for the formal night, and my guess is a suit will get a lot less wear in the future than a pair of khakis. If he interviews for college or a job one day, he'll be expected to wear regular clothes and not jeans.

I'd let him pick out the clothes with your assistance of course, and he might get into it a little more. I've seen some really neat tropical shirts, and the guyabanas that the cubans wear (I think I spelled it wrong) can look smashing and they are so lightweight.

And like I said before, he'll really stand out like a "chick magnet" because he'll be one of the few not dressed in jeans and even young women like a sharp looking guy!

When I was on Conquest in October, jeans were somewhat common in the dining room on the casual nights, but mainly the first and last ones. However, I agree with the above posters who suggest getting one or two pair of twill pants for your son to wear instead. Denim is hot in the Caribbean. But more importantly, our children need to learn that there is a time for certain attire and that is the well-mannered thing to do (abide by the posted dress codes), so this will not be so much of a shock as they get older.

Your daughter can wear slacks or the capris and skirts you mentioned for casual nights and will be fine.

I have a 20 year old nephew whom I have taken with me on 3 cruises at ages 13, 17, 19. For dinner, he wears pants, not jeans and a collared shirt. On formal night, jacket and tie or suit. Before and after dinner, he can wear what he wants, normally baggies as often as possible along with surf shirts.

Same goes for the friend he brings along.

He knows that if he wants me to continue to take him on cruises, he has to dress appropriately for dinner and has never complained. Often, he will dress even better than I expect and I am sure it is for the girls onboard who do seem to notice:).

My son was 11 on his first cruise. I talked to him about the attire, and by the time we left for the trip, he was very much into dressing "appropriately". We ate in the dining room every night, and frankly, he got so many compliments on his attire and manners that since that trip he is mister "GQ". He was nominated "best dressed" at school this year...and I never ever have to ask him to dress up. He looks for every opportunity. I think it's cool, especially now that his buddies have started mimicking him! ;)

Thanks for your help.

This has nothing to do with age. You will see that there will be people of all ages wearing jeans on the Conquest on non formal night.

Relax and have fun!

She was asking about attire for her son who happens to be 19 years old, and her daughter who happens to be 13.

This has nothing to do with age. You will see that there will be people of all ages wearing jeans on the Conquest on non formal night.

Relax and have fun!

My son was 11 on his first cruise. I talked to him about the attire, and by the time we left for the trip, he was very much into dressing "appropriately". We ate in the dining room every night, and frankly, he got so many compliments on his attire and manners that since that trip he is mister "GQ". He was nominated "best dressed" at school this year...and I never ever have to ask him to dress up. He looks for every opportunity. I think it's cool, especially now that his buddies have started mimicking him! ;)

I love your post. The same thing happened with me and my son. My daughter (now 15) was also receptive to wearing nice clothes to dinner on cruise ships, I didn't give them a choice about it years ago. Although, years ago neither did the cruise lines :)

When my son was 13, I bought him a black sports coat, dark tan slacks, a white dress shirt and a tie. The sportscoat actually got fairly worn out he has used it so much. His collection of dress shirts and ties is probably a lot more than many adult men (he's 18 now). He knows how to tie a tie (learned it himself on youtube :) ). He owns his own tuxedo (rentals cost too much!) along with 3 different vest/tie combinations. I never in a million years would have thought this would happen with a young man, I always felt like many people who post here saying they didn't want to buy clothes their kids would only wear once.

Kids can surprise you in very pleasant ways.

I can tell your a good mom..you started teaching your son at a young age to be a GENTLEMAN. He's going to make a great husband one day!

Besides, who created the rule that children are in charge anyway? The way I remember it the adults were in charge!

I love your post. The same thing happened with me and my son. My daughter (now 15) was also receptive to wearing nice clothes to dinner on cruise ships, I didn't give them a choice about it years ago. Although, years ago neither did the cruise lines :)

When my son was 13, I bought him a black sports coat, dark tan slacks, a white dress shirt and a tie. The sportscoat actually got fairly worn out he has used it so much. His collection of dress shirts and ties is probably a lot more than many adult men (he's 18 now). He knows how to tie a tie (learned it himself on youtube :) ). He owns his own tuxedo (rentals cost too much!) along with 3 different vest/tie combinations. I never in a million years would have thought this would happen with a young man, I always felt like many people who post here saying they didn't want to buy clothes their kids would only wear once.

They sure can. My son, at 14, can tie a perfect tie, and yep - he taught himself from the internet. :p He too has quite a collection of nice shirts & ties...and is looking forward to the day I finally agree to buy him a tux! :D It's amazing what kids these days really ARE capable of...you see so many that manage to create so much havoc, it's good to know that it doesn't have to be that way. And yeah, it does have a lot to do with them knowing who the adults are. ;)

I really don't understand this. People pay a couple of thousand dollars to go on a cruise with a family. Possibly airfare also. Then there are suggestions to buy a pair of pants at a thrift shop. I don't get it. In a worst case why not go to a Walmart and buy a $10.00 pair of pants and no one will care or notice the difference.

I don't understand what this could possibly mean about a 19-year old young man--

"...only going to wear one week." What, is he joining a monastery or a nudist colony once he's off the ship? It would seem high time a young man of 19 had some dress clothes, as he will be needing and wearing them lots of other times and for the rest of his life, if he does it right.

We have 4 young men, aged 17-23. They find the notion of wearing jeans in such a situation head-scratching. And our youngest just went to his Senior prom wearing his very own dinner suit/tuxedo. Compared to the others in his group he cut a form so swell (:p ) that the other young men, once they saw the pictures, likely wished they'd made the decision to look that handsome and well put-together.

Yes, I know jeans will be allowed on Carnival, but I just wanted to put in my checkmark in the 2 cents category under "Dress clothes=Good" and put in a plug for my handsome Prom-going boy. :)

Our boys are 8 and 10, they will be wearing slacks and probably be giving me dirty looks when they go to the dining room and see the other kids wearing jeans and shorts :rolleyes: Oh well... at least the girls won't mind dressing up, of course girls are easy since any dress will pass for little kids, even on formal night.

It's like what I said before...since when are the children in charge?

I don't think this is the case of the gal who originally posted..but it goes back to point of learning that life isn't all about jeans..and clothes do make the man (or the woman). Judgemental or not, it's true.

I don't understand what this could possibly mean about a 19-year old young man--

"...only going to wear one week." What, is he joining a monastery or a nudist colony once he's off the ship? It would seem high time a young man of 19 had some dress clothes, as he will be needing and wearing them lots of other times and for the rest of his life, if he does it right.

We have 4 young men, aged 17-23. They find the notion of wearing jeans in such a situation head-scratching. And our youngest just went to his Senior prom wearing his very own dinner suit/tuxedo. Compared to the others in his group he cut a form so swell (:p ) that the other young men, once they saw the pictures, likely wished they'd made the decision to look that handsome and well put-together.

Yes, I know jeans will be allowed on Carnival, but I just wanted to put in my checkmark in the 2 cents category under "Dress clothes=Good" and put in a plug for my handsome Prom-going boy. :)

Our boys are 8 and 10, they will be wearing slacks and probably be giving me dirty looks when they go to the dining room and see the other kids wearing jeans and shorts :rolleyes: Oh well... at least the girls won't mind dressing up, of course girls are easy since any dress will pass for little kids, even on formal night.

Or, they can surprise you and feel a lot of pride in their "grown up" clothes :)

When my children were 12 and 8 I became a single parent. I knew I had to teach them about something more elegant than crock pot dinners when I got home from work so I instituted the dress up dinner night. About one night every 2 weeks or so I dubbed "dress up" night and posted it on the calendar in advance. Usually a weekend night and something a tiny bit fancier cooked than a casserole.

They balked at first, but when it became clear that the only way to get dinner on that night was to put on something nice and make sure they were groomed, they fell in line. Within a year or so they started inviting friends over for the special dinner. When they started dating, they seldom missed dress up night, making their plans around dinner or inviting their dates to dinner first.

My kids are in their 30s now but they remember these nights as very special and pseudo-complain about their wacky mom making them dress up to eat meatloaf LOL. Dressing for dinner used to be considered just an upper class thing to do and they did it every night. All of our kids are high class and they will get into it if we set the guidelines and proper example.

OP: sorry I got off track but I think that jeans in the dining room are not appropriate for anybody on any night unless you are doing a super casual cruise that doesn't advocate dressing for dinner. My opinion only of course :rolleyes:

What a great mom you are..what a wonderful memory and principle you taught your kids.

I've worked with many,many, young patients throughout the years and unfortunatley some from single parent homes..but it really says something to how a man treats his wife one day according to how he learned from his mother. How nice for their "dates" to see what great men and women their mom had raised!

It's true..if you teach a child in the way he should go he really won't depart from it!

When my children were 12 and 8 I became a single parent. I knew I had to teach them about something more elegant than crock pot dinners when I got home from work so I instituted the dress up dinner night. About one night every 2 weeks or so I dubbed "dress up" night and posted it on the calendar in advance. Usually a weekend night and something a tiny bit fancier cooked than a casserole.

They balked at first, but when it became clear that the only way to get dinner on that night was to put on something nice and make sure they were groomed, they fell in line. Within a year or so they started inviting friends over for the special dinner. When they started dating, they seldom missed dress up night, making their plans around dinner or inviting their dates to dinner first.

My kids are in their 30s now but they remember these nights as very special and pseudo-complain about their wacky mom making them dress up to eat meatloaf LOL. Dressing for dinner used to be considered just an upper class thing to do and they did it every night. All of our kids are high class and they will get into it if we set the guidelines and proper example.

OP: sorry I got off track but I think that jeans in the dining room are not appropriate for anybody on any night unless you are doing a super casual cruise that doesn't advocate dressing for dinner. My opinion only of course :rolleyes:

My two sons hated dressing up for our yearly cruise until they saw some young men in the black on black look . Black pants, black shirts and ties. Now at ages 16 and 18 they still love it and wear their clothes for many other events through out the year. I mostly love shopping thrift stores. Could well afford to do otherwise, but love the thrill of the hunt and the great bargins.

It's like what I said before...since when are the children in charge?

I don't think this is the case of the gal who originally posted..but it goes back to point of learning that life isn't all about jeans..and clothes do make the man (or the woman). Judgemental or not, it's true.

This is a very good point, but one I didn't think of. It's really quite simple to say, "This is what you're going to wear", matter-of-factly and as the parent. If there are moans and complaints, they can take them to their friends, and say what a mean old parent! you are. ;) Later on, when they realise you are right, resist the urge to say I Told You So! Just smile in your wise, parent-y way.

Archived