camera users, add your thoughts!

qiangf2

I love it!!! I have a Panasonic FZ20 I paid about $300 for a year and a half ago. It's a real workhorse and takes amazing pictures. I've actually done comparisons with a friend who has the $$$$ camera. Mine was just as good, and better in some areas.

One of the most asked questions I get from people who have looked at my galleries is "What kind of camera and lens do you use?" It doesn't HAVE to be expensive or complicated to get fabulous results.

With digital and all the software out there, a photogs basic skill level is more important than the equipment. Buying the most expensive thing out there won't get you the best shot.

It's really more about do you need those extra features that the expensive cameras have. For regular people, picture quality isn't an issue cuz the human eye isn't really going to notice any difference.

Same goes for megapixels. 6 is more than enough for about 90% of the people out there, including many pros. Some people have taken a 6 MP camera and blown up huge images that look spectacular.

I absolutely love my Panasonic DMC-FZ5 digital. It has a 12X Zoom and worked great for my over 2000 pics from our Alaskan cruise last year! My daughter has a newer version 10X Zoom Panasonic which she loves as well. My husband has a fancy Nikon with an extra lens that I don't even want to know how much it cost. He get's good pics, but to be honest all those bells and whistles would be a waste for me.

By the way, I used the sports setting on my camara on flightseeing excursions, and on the train as well, with great results.

As Codex57 mentioned software is so important. I was introduced to Adobe Photoshop Elements when we sailed the Celebrity Summit. Elements is a fantastic editing program. I used to use Photoshop5 then upgraded to 7. Great programs, but so more for the professionals who have mastered the bells and whistles. Elements has the power of the version for professionals, but is user friendly for people like me! I see so many pics taken in Alaska which only need a couple clicks to really bring out the beauty of the picture. This is especially true in any picture that includes water and sky, and especially true for pics taken on flightseeing excursions. I call my editing 'playing' with my pictures. It has become a hobby.

Ummm, now I need to go on another cruise so I have more pictures to keep me playing!

Reading thru this and other photo oriented threads, I see comments on basic photography skills, so here's a suggestion...

Most local community colleges offer basic photography courses. Many of them are evening courses and relatively inexpensive. Our local CC offers both a digital course and a course that includes some "old school" film and darkroom work. Some run a full semester while some run for a few weeks.

Regardless of whether you use $ equipment or $$$$$ stuff, nothing will improve your picture-taking like learning and practicing basic skills with (usually) a professional instructor and sharing with your fellow students.

There nothing like hearing your family and friends ask, "Gee, how do take such great pictures?" :)

Archived