New Passport Info Clarification Please?

LHARTWICK

Okay - I have read and re-read the new passport information re: having a proof of application to RE-ENTER the US BY AIR. What about ENTERING Canada BY AIR and re-entering the US BY SEA? What is required to board the plane and fly into Vancouver if you do not have a passport? Will a birth certificate work? And, if so, is a certified copy of the birth certificate sufficient?

We are scheduled to sail on the Mercury on 9/14/07. We will be flying into Vancouver for embarkation and debarkating in Seattle. My dad applied for his passport on 4/3/07 but it has not come in yet. The online system just says "currently being processed". This is week 10, but we want to be prepared in case it doesn't arrive in time. Since he had to send off his birth certificate with his application, will our records office issue him another certified copy of his birth certificate if his passport does not arrive in time? He seems to be under the impression that he can fly into Vancouver with nothing more than proof that he has applied for his passport, but I don't think that is correct. Plus I think the cruise line requires a passport, too. Need to double check that.

Under the CruiseCritic News area, the following is posted:

"U.S. citizens heading to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean who have applied for -- but not yet received -- passports can re-enter the country by air as long as they have a government-issued photo identification card and a Department of State official proof of application for a passport. This of course doesn't impact people who are on cruises that return to the U.S. from places named above because passport requirements for cruise-based travel haven't yet gone into effect. Where it would affect a cruise traveler whose passport request was still unfilled would be folks heading to (or home from) embarkation ports outside U.S. boundaries. Vancouver, a prime turn-around point for Alaska cruises, is one such port. Montreal, which often serves as a start or end call for Canada/New England itineraries, is another."

Now my head hurts!

Your records office should be able to supply you with as many certified copies of your birth certificate as you need (usually at a fee).

It might be wise for those that sent their birth certificate with their passport application to get another certified copy just in case they don't receive their passport by travel date (for travel to Caribbean, Bermuda, Canada, and Mexico). What'sis a few dollars for peace of mind?

You do not need a passport to fly into Canada from the USA.

Most airlines want you to have them of course cause they want you to come back with them in the AIR. Since you are not it should not be an issue.

Here's all Canada wants.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/visitors-e.html

Your USA "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative" is all you should have to deal with when you get on the ship in Vancouver as there will be USA Border Agents there at the Pier.

Archived