Pompeii & Capri - doable in July??

Our family group is cruising the Mediterranean in July. We are being advised by a number of private guides not to try to do Pompeii and Capri the same day, but we would really like to. If we leave for a four hour tour of Pompeii at 8:00am, will we still have time to go to Capri an dget back by 5:00? Is it difficult to get from the Hydrofoil back to the ship?

Our family group is cruising the Mediterranean in July. We are being advised by a number of private guides not to try to do Pompeii and Capri the same day, but we would really like to. If we leave for a four hour tour of Pompeii at 8:00am, will we still have time to go to Capri an dget back by 5:00? Is it difficult to get from the Hydrofoil back to the ship?

Anything is doable,but I will let other's reply to your question...IMHO it is a lot to try and do in one day but,you really could breeze through Pompeii in less than 3 hours and go on to Capri.My point of my post is just to say it will be HOT,and crowded at this time so factor this into what you plan.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. Some will tell you that they've done it but I think you are trying to do too much in one day. July is a very peak time in these areas and there is the unknown about getting back precisely at the hour you need to.

Keith

How concerned are you about missing the ship? If your next stop is Rome (Civatavecchia), it might not be the end of the world since you could take a train and catch up with it the next day. If you are heading to Greece and the next day is at sea, it would be very bad to miss it.

If you insist on doing both, you should probably go to Capri first because it is the farthest from the ship and it would be much easier to get back from Pompeii. It will be very hot in Pompeii in the afternoon at that time of year though.

I have done them both but in two separate days. I also suggest you do Capri first. If you miss the first hydrofoil, you can take a later one. Personally I think it's rushing it. And it will be very hot in both places.

I heard that dome ships offer both in one combined tour. Have you checked this it?

I agree with nomars girl. If you aren't worried about missing the ship, it can be done. Because of the time constraints, we did a ship's tour for that one and we were really glad we did. There was an accident on the highway from Pompeii to Naples and we were late getting back to the ship. If we had been on our own we would have had to find our own way to Sardinia. We did Capri, lunch and sightseeing in Sorrento and then Pompeii. It was a very long day, but well worth it!!

We were in Naples last summer, and the hydrofoil schedule wasn't particularly accomodating. We left Capri around 2:30 (after getting soaked in a HUGE rainstorm) because the next time was cutting it too close to missing the ship. I've been to both, like others--on different days, and would recommend you pick one or the other. While you can see all of Pompeii in an hour, we spent almost three. IMHO you will enjoy either more if you are not stressed about maintaining a schedule. Enjoy yourself!

We were just in Naples on May 26th. We took the train very early to Pompei and joined a tour there. After the tour we continued touring there in our own with a booklet as it is much larger than we had ever imagined and there is so much to see! It did become quite hot there in the afternoon. Our ship (HAL's Veendam) was in port from before 8 AM until 8:30 PM. After we got back to Naples we went and inquired as to a hydrofoil to and from Capri, but they were all booked that late in the afternoon. If Capri is most important to you then you should book that in the morning. We were most interested in Pompei for this our first trip to Italy and could have spent even more hours there at the ruins or at the Museo Archeologico ****onale in Naples which house many of the finest treasures found at Pompei, Herculaneum and surrounding places. Also, being right there at Pompei with Mount Vesuvius looming in the background was really awesome.

Archived