Is the Newark area safe?

PrettyLA

Is the Newark area a generally safe place to stay for one night regarding hotels? We are cruising out of Cape Liberty and need to find a pretty close hotel to stay in. Any help would be very appreciated.

I stayed in the Newark Airport area this past April, and I didn't feel unsafe. But travelled mostly with the Airport Shuttle. Don't know if I would walk the area by myself though.

Joanne

Is the Newark area a generally safe place to stay for one night regarding hotels? We are cruising out of Cape Liberty and need to find a pretty close hotel to stay in. Any help would be very appreciated.

i guess it all depends on when you arrive into Newark. are you driving? or flying? because no matter what happens you are more than likely going to have to drive to eat your meals and entertain yourself.

if you are just going to sleep overnight before the cruise and will be taking a shuttle to the pier...then it's definitely safe.

i'm just not sure of what your situation will be when arriving in Newark. i posted in another thread in this forum. another person is asking if the Newark hotels are safe. read my comments in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572574

Thanks for your responses so far. We will be driving in the night before the cruise and are looking at maybe the Courtyard. We plan to get there before 8 pm at night but due to driving that may take longer, depending on the circumstances. I'm sure if we got there before 8 we would probably want to find someplace to eat. We will also be driving to the port the next morning.

Thanks for your responses so far. We will be driving in the night before the cruise and are looking at maybe the Courtyard. We plan to get there before 8 pm at night but due to driving that may take longer, depending on the circumstances. I'm sure if we got there before 8 we would probably want to find someplace to eat. We will also be driving to the port the next morning.

If you are driving stay further out and drive to the port the next morning. If you are coming across route 80 there are nice hotels in parsippiny, Nj that are less than two hours from the port and are much nicer and probably less expensive too....IMO

We don't want to stay two hours outside of the port. We will be coming from I 78, which I think is the turnpike, but I'm not sure.

I 76 is the Penn Turnpike I 78 is a free most of the way interstate(except for the section you will take after Newark airport to the Bayonne exit on the NJ Turnpike extension). The Jersey turnpike isn't an interstate. If safety is a concern staying two hours from the port and not in Newark will ease your mind. Even if you leave by 10 you will still be there by noon. Actually its only about an hour from Parissipany but that's not the way you are going anyway but I wanted to give you an different idea. I am sure people who travel 78 a lot will give you a better idea of where to stay. If you are going to be late Newark is not the place in my opinion.

I 76 is the Penn Turnpike I 78 is a free most of the way interstate(except for the section you will take after Newark airport to the Bayonne exit on the NJ Turnpike extension). The Jersey turnpike isn't an interstate. If safety is a concern staying two hours from the port and not in Newark will ease your mind. Even if you leave by 10 you will still be there by noon. Actually its only about an hour from Parissipany but that's not the way you are going anyway but I wanted to give you an different idea. I am sure people who travel 78 a lot will give you a better idea of where to stay. If you are going to be late Newark is not the place in my opinion.

as long as I78 is on the wknd. Parsippany is an hour away from bayonne...give or take.

hotel/motel rates will definitely be cheaper...and as i have been mentioning all along...you'll have more freedom to dine. WHICH REMINDS ME...i can't believe all of us from the area forgot the ever popular NJ DINERS! pick one...you almost always can't go wrong. especially along the highways (not so much the interstates).

visit the famous TICK TOCK DINER on RT 3 Clifton, NJ - westbound. that's only 30min from bayonne.

Try staying in Secaucus. Then the drive from Secaucus to Pier will only be 20 minutes! Secaucus has a couple nice hotels...plus outlet shopping...movies...restaurants etc.

if you like seafood Bonefish Grill in Secaucus is the jewel of that shopping area.

if you like seafood Bonefish Grill in Secaucus is the jewel of that shopping area.
Sounds like my kinda' place, but I always get out-voted...:( ;)

Any info on the Holiday Inn Harmon Meadow in Secaucus? Cheeseburger in Paradise is 'just around the corner'..:D

Rates aren't bad, looks like its been recently renovated.. Only drawback is lack of an airport shuttle (complimentary), but they will shuttle us to the train station..:p

I'll check the Holiday Inn out. We usually stay at a Holiday Inn anyway.

We actually live outside of Cincinnati, a suburb about 30 minutes from downtown. But there are a lot of nice things to do a short distance from home in downtown Cincinnati.

I'll check the Holiday Inn out. We usually stay at a Holiday Inn anyway.

We actually live outside of Cincinnati, a suburb about 30 minutes from downtown. But there are a lot of nice things to do a short distance from home in downtown Cincinnati.

i think that holiday inn in secaucus is pretty decent...i mean...based on the area that it's in. the area that covers the hotels/restaurants/shopping is actually mixed in with a couple office buildings...a blend of an office park and retail...not bad at all.

and now that i think of it. people should really choose to stay here. especially for last minute items...there is a walmart right there!!!

You will find lovely hotels off most of the western NJ exits for Route 78. They will vary in price & quality.

Once you cross the Garden State Parkway where is bisects 78, you start getting to more urban areas. If you want to be on the East side of the Parkway, I'd stay in the cluster of hotels by Jersey Gardens Mall in Elizabeth. That's about 1/2 hour from the pier in bad traffic.

But even for the most western parts of NJ along that route, you will be within 2 hours of the port, barring a horriffic accident. If there is one, just take Route 22. They run parellel. There will be lights but you'll get there.

You will find lovely hotels off most of the western NJ exits for Route 78. They will vary in price & quality.

Once you cross the Garden State Parkway where is bisects 78, you start getting to more urban areas. If you want to be on the East side of the Parkway, I'd stay in the cluster of hotels by Jersey Gardens Mall in Elizabeth. That's about 1/2 hour from the pier in bad traffic.

But even for the most western parts of NJ along that route, you will be within 2 hours of the port, barring a horriffic accident. If there is one, just take Route 22. They run parellel. There will be lights but you'll get there.

i'll agree on every letter of this post right up until Rt 22...it's just not a traveler's delight...but then i suppose it all depends on the time of day. even in the best of traffic i've never been a fan...sorry trish1c. *hug*

No it is not. If you stay by the airport the prison is right off of the highway.

Stay in Parsippany. There are plenty of Hotels right off Rt 80,and plenty of places to eat.My guess is if your comming in from Ohio you'll be on Rt 80. The port is only 30 minutes away in traffic it's about an hour on Saturday you won't hit traffic.

No it is not. If you stay by the airport the prison is right off of the highway.

Stay in Parsippany. There are plenty of Hotels right off Rt 80,and plenty of places to eat.My guess is if your comming in from Ohio you'll be on Rt 80. The port is only 30 minutes away in traffic it's about an hour on Saturday you won't hit traffic.

sadly, there are those that feel newark is just not a place to be hanging around. as numerous people have stated in similar threads...the immdiate area around newark airport is safe. street smart are needed, however. and yes...there are some undesireable locations in newark...but i think many have already stated that fact.

no offense zippy, but while i agree about parsippany being a good spot to over night...if i was driving from OH...i'd want to be fairly close to the port. i'd want to see the NYC skyline and know that "i'm there".

that's why i've been selling clifton, rutherford (and east rutherford), and secaucus...safe/lots to do/close to both NJ ports and NYC...(and i guess Brooklyn also).

and who says they won't choose to drive the PA Tpk across? all depends on where in OH they live...which i don't think has been established. and it really doesn't matter.

once they get this close...the NYC skyline is their marker of having "arrived".

It shows a Doubletree in Jersey City do you have any thoughts on this hotel? I will be staying two nights and want to be close enough to go into NYC and see the sights. I am currently booked at the Courtyard at the Newark airport but what I am hearing it will be easier for me to get around in Jersey City. I called and the hotel told me it will be $40 to get a cab from their hotel to the port which is only 7.8 miles away. WOW that is a lot!:eek:

Archived