Is the Newark area safe?

PrettyLA

It shows a Doubletree in Jersey City do you have any thoughts on this hotel? I will be staying two nights and want to be close enough to go into NYC and see the sights. I am currently booked at the Courtyard at the Newark airport but what I am hearing it will be easier for me to get around in Jersey City. I called and the hotel told me it will be $40 to get a cab from their hotel to the port which is only 7.8 miles away. WOW that is a lot!:eek:

I always recommend checking tripadvisor.com when researching hotels. It's an invaluable resource.

It shows a Doubletree in Jersey City do you have any thoughts on this hotel? I will be staying two nights and want to be close enough to go into NYC and see the sights. I am currently booked at the Courtyard at the Newark airport but what I am hearing it will be easier for me to get around in Jersey City. I called and the hotel told me it will be $40 to get a cab from their hotel to the port which is only 7.8 miles away. WOW that is a lot!:eek:

I don't believe the Doubletree in Jersey City has a complimentary airport shuttle. It will cost about $40+ tip for a taxi from EWR to Jersey City. Taxi rates in NJ are VERY high. http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/hotels/maps_directions.jhtml?ctyhocn=EWRWTDT

cam6959,

if i can speak for GREATAM. we both understand that people want to balance the best of all worlds...reasonable accomodations, access to NYC, dining choices...etc. i really like the advice he gives...as well as SHOREGUY and SMEYER418.

now...as a lifelong resident (and proudly from Passaic County), there are many locations that are safe.

for 2 days, it would be of my opinion to be close to the PATH train. if you google "washington blvd jersey city nj"...then search for hotels...you'll see the icon for the PATH train and it's relationship to these hotels. what you'll pay in hotel room you'll save in going to NYC. and as for access to the ports...it's not a problem really.

PATH rail = $1.50 each way...but last train runs about 11:45pm. IMO this is the most reasonable way to get in and out of NYC.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

There are 3 reasons I would drive 22 instead of 78:

1. 78 was closed. It happens. I lived in Somerset County & worked in Essex & Hudson in the early 90s when it was closed after the garbage fire melted the roadway. :eek:

2. I needed gas / was hungry for fast food. That happens too. :o

3. There's an ice storm. I won't even attempt the hills through Watchung in the freezing rain / sleet b/c those big rigs go too fast for my comfort. On those rare days I prefer flat 22 with its stop lights b/c the other drivers can't go too fast, lose control & slam into me.

No it is not. If you stay by the airport the prison is right off of the highway.

Stay in Parsippany. There are plenty of Hotels right off Rt 80,and plenty of places to eat.My guess is if your comming in from Ohio you'll be on Rt 80. The port is only 30 minutes away in traffic it's about an hour on Saturday you won't hit traffic.

The area by the prison & the AP are in Elizabeth not Newark. Since they developed the NJPAC, downtown Newark has cleaned up considerably & the ironbound section is quite neighborly & safe. Thus, the Newark Hilton is not a terrible choice & it's right above the path station / Newark Penn Station. You don't even have to go outside. I'd stay there before I'd stay anywhere on 1-9, 21, or 22 near EWR & the prison.

I have stayed at the AP hotels by Jersey Gardens mall & thought they were fine: clean, safe, reasonably priced etc.

Thank you all for your advice and the great information. I did not realize I was going to have such trouble deciding where to stay. I usually make a decision and stick with it but this time I can't seem to do it. Where is Jersey Garden Mall? Is that the mall in Elizabeth? Another option I had was the Courtyard in Elizabeth.

There are 3 reasons I would drive 22 instead of 78:

1. 78 was closed. It happens. I lived in Somerset County & worked in Essex & Hudson in the early 90s when it was closed after the garbage fire melted the roadway. :eek:

2. I needed gas / was hungry for fast food. That happens too. :o

3. There's an ice storm. I won't even attempt the hills through Watchung in the freezing rain / sleet b/c those big rigs go too fast for my comfort. On those rare days I prefer flat 22 with its stop lights b/c the other drivers can't go too fast, lose control & slam into me.

well damn...i'd have to agree on all points. especially the white castle on 22...mmmmmmmmmm

Thank you all for your advice and the great information. I did not realize I was going to have such trouble deciding where to stay. I usually make a decision and stick with it but this time I can't seem to do it. Where is Jersey Garden Mall? Is that the mall in Elizabeth? Another option I had was the Courtyard in Elizabeth.

Its in Elizabeth btw I always have felt very safe near a prison...if anyone escapes they don't stay in the neighborhood and when was the last escape from any of them(PS I live five blocks from the Brooklyn House of Detention..)

Its in Elizabeth btw I always have felt very safe near a prison...if anyone escapes they don't stay in the neighborhood and when was the last escape from any of them(PS I live five blocks from the Brooklyn House of Detention..)

It's not the escapees that worry me about the prison -- it's the friends who come to visit. :eek: More importantly the whole area of 1&9 right there is very industrial & just not a place I'd recommend to anybody.

Sorry to hijack but maybe this might help you also! DH and I have been going around and around about where to stay (EOS 8/26/07). He has a free night at the Millineium Hilton in NYC. It looks nice online. It is $58 to park his truck however...lol. How long will it take us to drive to the port? It is right on Church street next to ground zero.

Thanks,

Jenn

Sorry to hijack but maybe this might help you also! DH and I have been going around and around about where to stay (EOS 8/26/07). He has a free night at the Millineium Hilton in NYC. It looks nice online. It is $58 to park his truck however...lol. How long will it take us to drive to the port? It is right on Church street next to ground zero.

Thanks,

Jenn

15 minutes except in rush hour...then a week and a half...

go west to west street make a right keep on west street to 54th street and make a left its 3 and a half miles....

15 minutes except in rush hour...then a week and a half...

go west to west street make a right keep on west street to 54th street and make a left its 3 and a half miles....

Thanks..lol. We are checking out of our hotel around 10:30 on a Sunday so HOPEFULLY that is not rush hour in NYC!

Jenn

We are driving from about 30 minutes outside of the Cincinnati area.

We have gone to NYC before and the driving was just too confusing because of all the traffic so we are choosing not to stay in New York again, although we would like to.

Thanks..lol. We are checking out of our hotel around 10:30 on a Sunday so HOPEFULLY that is not rush hour in NYC!

Jenn

oh you should be fine at that time. believe me...weekday driving is far worse in NYC. at least there is less commercial traffic.

lucky you guys get to stay at the millenium.

Thanks,

Jenn

Please check clearance for the truck in the parking garage. IF it is an open lot, you are OK. But there are parking garages (three that I know of) that will not clear a full size Chevy K2500 (3/4 ton) pickup with 16" wheels. One is the underground parking just north of Madison Square Garden on 34th St. One is way up north in Harlem. And the third one is the parking garage for the Ritz in Battery Park. Please check with the hotel.

Thanks,

Jenn

I have the greatest respect for smeyer418, but I think a mistake was made with his directions. EOS, (Explorer of the Seas), I believe leaves from Cape Liberty Bayonne , NJ. From the Millenium you would have to go thru the Holland Tunnel to The NJ Turnpike to 14A Bayonne and then follow the signs to the terminal.

I have the greatest respect for smeyer418, but I think a mistake was made with his directions. EOS, (Explorer of the Seas), I believe leaves from Cape Liberty Bayonne , NJ. From the Millenium you would have to go thru the Holland Tunnel to The NJ Turnpike to 14A Bayonne and then follow the signs to the terminal.
woops you are right I misread the ship the explorer of the seas, an RCI, ship leaves from Bayonne. It is actually very easy from the Milleneum go up Church Street Follow it to the left and go past Canal street make the first left after Canal Street into the holland tunnel after the Holland Tunnel you will cross three or four lights stay in the right hand lanes and go to the NJ Turnpike extension. You get off at the Bayonne exit 14 b? and follow the signs to 440 South can't miss the terminal, this is about 20 minutes non rush hour and on a Sunday Am should be no problem at all....and no one is perfect :) especially me....

woops you are right I misread the ship the explorer of the seas, an RCI, ship leaves from Bayonne. It is actually very easy from the Milleneum go up Church Street Follow it to the left and go past Canal street make the first left after Canal Street into the holland tunnel after the Holland Tunnel you will cross three or four lights stay in the right hand lanes and go to the NJ Turnpike extension. You get off at the Bayonne exit 14 b? and follow the signs to 440 South can't miss the terminal, this is about 20 minutes non rush hour and on a Sunday Am should be no problem at all....and no one is perfect :) especially me....

oooooooh. good question. even with the link i found...you know...i'm still not sure. but i think it is 14B.

http://www.travelboards.com/turnpike/NJ/

We are driving from about 30 minutes outside of the Cincinnati area.

We have gone to NYC before and the driving was just too confusing because of all the traffic so we are choosing not to stay in New York again, although we would like to.

Then why don't you park your car outside the city and take public transportation in?

You could always park long term at one of the airports.

Archived