Paynes beach

jackdiamond

Lovely fabulous, great beach, nice water to swim in.. Wouldn't recommend Blue monkey beach bar.. You can search Blue Monkey, check the thread that has just been done over the last 2 weeks, and check out my pictures..

enjoy.

Lovely fabulous, great beach, nice water to swim in.. Wouldn't recommend Blue monkey beach bar.. You can search Blue Monkey, check the thread that has just been done over the last 2 weeks, and check out my pictures..

enjoy.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

We are planning to visit Barbados again during the winter season, however I understand from my taxi friend that this place is closed. Does anyone knows if there is access to this beach to see the turtles any more.

my understanding is that blue monkey bar is closed but Paynes Bay Beach is wide open for use all the time.. you just will not have a bar, restrooms and food service. the main beach access there is accross the street from The Coach House (it's their entrance but they do allow the public to use it.).. or just north of the new Sands Condo's (hotel, whatever) there is a public entrance to the beach. once you reach the beach turn left and walk down to Paynes Bay Beach.

• 1 month later...
Payne's Bay was too crowded for my taste. Too many merchants and too much construction. We're looking for a quieter alternative on our next stop in Barbados.

I agree with this post.The merchants were out in force.My wife bought a bird house made out of a coconut,from a nice older man,whom she couldn't turn down.It's hard to relax on a beach like this.Also, when you walk into the water there is a dropoff of a foot or so.When you come out of the water you have to crawl to get out.We will be going back to Barbados in 11/07,but we will not be going to this beach.Any reccomendations.Thanks Don

Also, when you walk into the water there is a dropoff of a foot or so.

When you come out of the water you have to crawl to get out.

We will be going back to Barbados in 11/07,

but we will not be going to this beach.

Any reccomendations.

As a little kid (before I could swim) I hated that dropoff - it was scary!

I hate to tell you this but.. it's characteristic of all the calm bays along our West Coast,

so if it's un-nerving for you I can only suggest the South Coast,instead

where that particular beach morphology is not to be found.

Carlisle Bay (Boatyard) is halfway between the West and South Coasts

and doesn't have the drop-off when last I swam there (3 wks. ago).

In fact I remarked to my wife re. the lack of dropoff, as we came out after a half-hour soak!

Carlisle Bay is also within easy distance of your ship,

and within sight of it too,

but the really-South-Coast beach you want is Rockley, or ACCRA as the locals call it.

Why Accra?

Becoz a hundred thousand tourists and locals simply can't be wrong?

-----------------------------

So...when you jump into your taxi at the Port,

you can ask him to take you to BOATYARD (if you want close)

or ACCRA (if you want pink sand, but a little further out)

- that's Accra Beach, not the hotel of the same name on that beach.

Thanks aplmac for your suggestions.Both beaches sound nice.I guess we'll decide when we get to Barbados.I noticed that dropoff on the island of St.Johns also.It just seems strange to step up and lean forward to get out of the water.Don

Archived