Excursion Prices versus Other Cruise Lines

cruiseonly

Since Cunard is a classy cruise line, more formal, and their prices a bit higher, how does the cost of excursions compare.

Can anyone comment on the shore excursion prices on Cunard vs other cruise lines that they have been on. Are the prices higher.

Excursions seemed a bit over Carnival or RCI prices but not that bad. The photographs though seemed over priced. Wine & Alcohol prices seemed fair. :) Then again I work in a tourist trap :D One big noticeable differance was no pressure to buy drinks. Some shops on board are fine while others are way overpriced. Then again I shop at Target and Mervans. (budget stores for our non U.S. friends)

Tom in Long Beach

Thanks Tom for your opinion.

Are you the same Tom from Long Beach that is a librarian.

Looks like your photo but different. If it is you, I was the one that asked you about the Harley Davidson Store in Long Beach area last year.

I did a comparison last year of the excursions on our Panama trip. I had been to many of the same places on a HAL ship a few years earlier. It was my initial impression that Cunard was obnoxiously high! Imagine my surprise when an actually comparison showed a lot of similar pricing, considering the HAL trip was a few years earlier, and even some which was cheaper! There were some which were outrageous.

I agree about the photos though. The prices are set by Cunard, not the photo concession. They now ONLY sell 8X10s and often do that by means of a superfluous border or collage of an exterior of the ship and he stats alongside your 5X7 picture. And the cost is $27.50.

Drink prices are MORE than reasonable, and drinks are measured. No watered down drinks, but also no overly strong ones by a bartender pitching for better tips. Drink prices are better than most shores side establishments, US or England.

Costs in the shops were outrageous IMHO. I am a Mervyns/Target type of shopper (Though we don't have Mervyn's back east- my folks used to live in San Jose) OTOH, I have no idea if there is anything reasonable priced in

Harrods, having never shopped there and it not being my style I am not a shopper. But if you need a quick toiletry headache remedy or forge to bring your tie, take out a mortgage. I think prices have ameliorated a bit in the last year, as they no doubt found themselves with too much unsold merchandise while the more reasonable stuff sold quicker.

Karie,

no shopper, I, but known to forget to pack deoderent! Seems that they would GIVE that away as a mercy effort for the benefit of my fellow passengers! <LOL>

I think the photos are expensive, but the rest of the onboard items are very reasonable. The onboard concessions are very reasonable to a brit and even buying a bowtie and cummerbund was good value. $45 so about £30 ish for us, not bad at all.

I can never work out the logic of the photo prices, or those horrendous back drops that went out in Victorian times, or the pictures they take on embarkation (stand on the white line sir, you WILL be photographed before boarding)

If the prices were reasonable surely many more would be sold instead of being dumped in the bin. Supermarkets worked that one out long ago.

David.

Hi Ex-Londoner ...

I simply give the photographer's assistant my VERY biggest smile -- :) -- say: "No photograph please" and walk determinedly past ... works EVERY time.

I do the same in the long lines for the Captain's Reception when you have to run the gamut of one or more photography stations on your way to the free glass of champagne!

I don't feel grumpy 'cause I don't look grumpy: "I whistle a happy tune!"

Have fun with it!

Yankeeclippr

Has anyone worked out a strategy for avoiding that pre-boarding photograph without seeming gumpy? If so, how?

You could try doing "the Perp Walk" like when the newly arrested politicos and rich socialites are avoiding the paparazzi- Clipboard or sweater held over face, taken by the elbow by accompanying lawyer/publicist/spin doctor...

Or just wear a paper bag over your head with eyehole cut-outs.

Marc figured he would goof on them for our January 05 trip. He wore this fur hat with earflaps that looked like something you'd wear in Siberia (We drove down in an ice storm)

You guessed it. We bought the picture!

Karie,

who thinks they should use that one on our photo IDs

I simply give the photographer's assistant my VERY biggest smile -- :) -- say: "No photograph please" and walk determinedly past ... works EVERY time.

I do almost the same thing except I don't smile:mad: I still don't feel grumpy because I'm so happy to be going on the ship:)

I do the same in the long lines for the Captain's Reception when you have to run the gamut of one or more photography stations on your way to the free glass of champagne!

You can avoid the queue on the QE2 by going into the Queens Room from the Chart Room rather than queueing past the Library. That way you get time for more than just the one drink (BTW - it's not real champagne - the stuff they serve in the Queens Room makes Pol Acker taste good! - just ask for any other drink and they'll bring it to you with no charge:) )

Has anyone worked out a strategy for avoiding that pre-boarding photograph without seeming gumpy? If so, how?

There was an invitation to bypass the queue when I got on.

Unfortunately I didn't take it....

Incidentally, I had one photo reprinted without all the rubbish around it - same price - which improved it greatly. This was on QM2. I'd previously been refused on QE2.

Matthew

Incidentally, I had one photo reprinted without all the rubbish around it - same price - which improved it greatly. This was on QM2. I'd previously been refused on QE2.

Matthew

Well? Are we going to get to see the picture? I've never been on a ship with all this picture-taking so need to know what to expect.

Matthew

Matthew, even though it was the same price. Did they give it to you in a 5X7 or an 8X10. I finally had to get hold of the CEO of the company who does the photo concession on QM2 (who was very nice, I might add) i sent an email to the company, figured out the CEO's address (from his name and how they did all of the other company addresses) and cc:d him on my email. He called me that night, within half an hour, I believe. It took a while, but they finally sent me degraded proofs of my pictures from which to choose, I ordered, I think 5 of them, paid full price, but finally got them. I especially wanted the formal dinner shot of all of us at dinner, including Johnsy (Joanne and her husband John) and Maria from these boards.

Karie, who thinks the shots are fine, but Cunard demands they charge way too high a price.

Well? Are we going to get to see the picture? I've never been on a ship with all this picture-taking so need to know what to expect.

No. I didn't buy it. I looked a bit of a berk for one. However the main thing was that the photograph itself was badly printed, and my jacket had some strange interference from it.

The only photograph I bought was the team photograph, and I wouldn't post that for obvious reasons.

Matthew

Matthew, even though it was the same price. Did they give it to you in a 5X7 or an 8X10.

I had a 10 x 8 provided. I think the chap was on my side as we were both English - he said, very darkly, of the rubbish round the edge that "the Americans like it........."

I wasn't going to argue, given that (a) he's probably right in many cases and (b) he was doing me a favour.

But I'm sure that those Americans I know would prefer the photograph without the edging......

Matthew

I asked a similar question before my cruise, anyway when the time came I steeled myself (I detest being 'photoed' cos I take a rotten photo) and as I approached,:eek: mum just walked on by and I just followed :o, so the answer is take an old lady that does as she pleases with you.

Archived