Which is better? Xcaret or Xel-Ha?

Diane&4girls

Visited Xel-Ha last August during our stay in Cozumel. It is very popular with locals and tourists. Over all it is a nice place to visit.

It is large Lagoon/Lake/River with a mix of salt/fresh water depending on where you are. Xel-Ha is very lush and tropical with a couple scenic paths to walk. Large Igauna's bask in the sun everywhere. We even saw a few toads and snakes along the paths near the cenotes.

Once you enter Xel-Ha you have to exchange your sunscreen with eco friendly sunscreen, buy it or go without. DO NOT go without sunscreen! Find the Eco stuff here in the states and bring it with you.

They have indoor male and female locker rooms with shower stalls. The lockers are VERY small. Towels and snorkel gear are available but I believe you had to exchange your room key for the towel and/or snorkel. When you returned the items you got your key back.

There are several area's with rows of wooden lounge chairs. Most of the chairs had no shade. This place was HOT and not being able to get out of the sun while sitting next to the water was a problem for us. But there are many buildings you can escape the sun if needed.

The park has several places to buy food and drink.

Floating down the fresh water river with or without a tube is AWESOME.

We sat in the benches and watched the Dolphins swimming circles in their pens briefly before exiting the park. Wasn't really impressed with that.

Hope this information helped. Have fun.

We loved Xel-ha.

You can go with an all inclusive ( including drinks, food etc.) or pay to get in.

It was a great day. There are plenty of place to sit in the shade around trees etc. Ofcourse the sum moves, so may your shade!!

THere are little areas with hut that are semi-privte that also offer shade.

I agree with the dolpin area.. it is cheaper than other places but I feel for the dolpins there.

You can spend a day there easily!!

LOVED Xel-Ha......for all the reasons stated. I cannot IMAGINE anyone not being able to find shade.....there are trees all over the place.

One thing that wasn't mentioned (I don't think) is that they have tubes, the lagoon was wonderful.....GREAT fun....and they have that rope that you can swing on & jump off into the lagoon. Forget how much the dolphin swim was though...somewhere between $50 and $100.

We loved it. If you've already been to Xcaret....try Xel-Ha. Watch your time though...don't want to miss the boat.

Have fun........Dolly :)

LOVED Xel-Ha......for all the reasons stated. I cannot IMAGINE anyone not being able to find shade.....there are trees all over the place.

Yes, as I previously mentioned Xel-Ha is tropical and trees are everywhere, however the area we ended up sitting only had a handful of chairs shaded by palm trees. It was very crowded the day we visited and most chairs were taken. We did see many choice spots but they were already occupied. Guess we were to busy playing in the water to worry about grabbing a place to sit.

When we finally got out of the water (many places to exit the water) the group of chairs nearest the exit had limited shade. The vacant ones had NO SHADE. If your already over exposed by the sun and tired from swimming and walking the trails for hours straight you'll need it! So please IMAGINE it's possible.

The shade problem was only in reference to the wooden lounge chairs (we were able to get) not about the grounds. Xel-Ha is very lush and beautiful.

We had a great time. Enjoy your trip :)

I've only been on one cruise so far and that was on the Imagination in 2001. I looked X-Caret up on the internet and got lots more information and pictures. We had a fantastic time! We started off with the river first then went on to the butterflies, turtles, church ect. I would suggest leaving your underwater fish shots for the inlet. There are more fish and the water is clearer and brighter for picture taking. The only negative thing I have to say is about the gift shop. I purchased an expensive video only to get it home and discover that the tape was blank! My family members went back several years later and not only were they able to exchange it but the gift shop also gave me a bit of a refund.

I was not impressed with Xcaret at all. It wasn't at all what I had read up on. We did the snorkel tour thru the underground river and it was quite boring. I guess when you're a diver you are expecting to see beauty, such as you do in the ocean. We were in a group of 8 and it was pretty much the general opinion of us all. It was a cloudy day when we were there. Maybe that had something to do with it.... :rolleyes:

I'm glad someone had a good time there, but it wasn't "this" someone.

I've never been to Xel-Ha so I can't tell you anything about it. I would suggest to do Xel-Ha (just because it's something different, unless you just really loved Xcaret).

I was not impressed with Xcaret at all. It wasn't at all what I had read up on. We did the snorkel tour thru the underground river and it was quite boring. I guess when you're a diver you are expecting to see beauty, such as you do in the ocean. We were in a group of 8 and it was pretty much the general opinion of us all. It was a cloudy day when we were there. Maybe that had something to do with it.... :rolleyes:

I'm glad someone had a good time there, but it wasn't "this" someone.

I've never been to Xel-Ha so I can't tell you anything about it. I would suggest to do Xel-Ha (just because it's something different, unless you just really loved Xcaret).

I am sure the bad weather didn't help anything. We haven't been to either place, but are looking for something to do in Cozumel in November and thought Xel-Ha or Xcaret would be fun. Also thought about Paradise Beach. NMnita

You guys are so full of knowledge!

My friends want to see Xcaret. We loved it and definitely want to go back, but I just wanted to be sure I was making the right decision. The girls want to go horseback riding and I know Xcaret has it there.

We love dolphins, however, we aren't proponents of dolphins in capitivity and I won't allow my girls to "ride" them.

My kids are all certified divers, too. It takes supreme beauty to excite them now. Me, I'm still learning to snorkel, but I can't yet keep myself afloat!!

Now, I'm really confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived