Mazatlan - Stone Island

gizmo

I did some searches, but I am not finding exactly what I am looking for.

Are there umbrellas at Stone Island ? Most of the pictures I have seen do not show any.

Is it difficult getting in and out of the pangos ? One person in my party has somewhat limited mobility. (hip and knee problems) Can someone describe this in detail ?

When you get dropped off at Stone Island how far is the walk to the area where there are restaurants ? How difficult is it ?

If I have to take a tour, which one is best ? I do not want a ship tour or riding horses, just a relaxing day at a beach, with some shade.

I have also thought about going to El Cid. Any comments on this beach and hotel ? It might be easier than Stone Island.

Are there umbrellas at Stone Island ? Most of the pictures I have seen do not show any. Yes. Different restaurants have different facilities, but they ALL have shady spots to sit and enjoy the beach. Some have these grass hut things and others have umbrellas. I went to the Puesta del Sol restaurant, and they were very friendly and the food was good (part of the tour we were on). They had one of these big grass huts. A friend I met through my roll call went with her husband and kids by themselves to Victor's, and I think they had umbrellas over there. I am posting some pictures I took which show some of the umbrellas in the background. The last one has the Puesta del Sol grass hut in the background.

Is it difficult getting in and out of the pangos ? One person in my party has somewhat limited mobility. (hip and knee problems) Can someone describe this in detail ? Can't help you there, since I don't know what a "Pango" is. I booked a tour to stone island, that took us over there on a Catamaran, so if the Pango is the water taxi, then I have no idea.

When you get dropped off at Stone Island how far is the walk to the area where there are restaurants ? How difficult is it ? There are these hay-ride type "taxis" that will take you from the "dock" area to the restaurants, although for an able-bodied person it's not a far walk at all. I looked to see if I had a picture of these "taxis" but I only have a picture of me and my DD ON one of the taxis, and it doesn't give you much of an idea of what it's like. It's sort of like climbing up into the back of a truck, or up into a wagon for a hay-ride, that sort of thing. They have wooden steps though, so I imagine with help the person in your group with limited mobility should be able to get up and down, and it would be much easier for them than walking.

If I have to take a tour, which one is best ? I do not want a ship tour or riding horses, just a relaxing day at a beach, with some shade. I think all of the tours involve a ship tour (a waste of time IMO), so if you can manage to take a taxi to the water taxis, and go on your own, you'll be much better off. All of the tours I researched seemed to involve an open bar for the time you are on the island. Because of that, they want you on the island for as short a time as possible! I would much rather have skipped the catamaran tour for an hour, and spent that extra time at the beach. I will tell you that we used most of our "activity tickets" that came with our tour to get more exotic drinks - there was this rum drink in a fresh coconut that was great!

The tour to Stone Island I did was through Puesta del Sol (http://mazatlan.com.mx/stoneisladtour/reservations.htm). They were very good, and if you end up doing the tour route, I would recommend them.

I will also say that my family and I very much enjoyed Stone Island, but if I get the chance to go to Stone Island again, I will not do a tour - I will just take a little water taxi boat over, and hang out at one of the restaurants - probably Victor's - that way we can be on our own schedule, which will definitely involve spending more time at the beach than we did on the tour.

Umbrellas2.jpg.43f8bb7f8459b36b72d99041cba66799.jpg

Umbrellas3.jpg.9c80d6ab1f2dc7bf5a68204ad2e50c31.jpg

842484322_stoneisland4.jpg.1a1e5898254ab6544d31e51fe0519d2b.jpg

We went to Stone Island on our own in April. We walked to the dock (about 10 mins.), but you can easily take a taxi.

We got on the boat from a dock and out of the boat on the Island at a dock so it was not really difficult. However, you do have to step into the boat. Certainly no more difficult, if fact easier, than stepping into and out of a tender.

Now, the walk to the restaurants was at least 10 mins. over some more or less level ground and then rocky and uneven ground and then soft sand or walk in the water where the sand is firmer. I think that would be the most difficult part for your family member.

There is shade at each restaurant as OceanDreamin says. We had planned to go to Victor's but they were closed that day (Monday). So, we stayed at Molokay which was good. Most of the patrons at Molokay were on a ship's tour. It cost them $69.00 each for transportation, buggy ride, lunch and open bar. The tour lasted 6 hours altogether. We thought that was a rip off. We paid $2.00 a person for the return boat ride (about 5 mins.). We had 1 soda, 1 beer, 1 margarita and 1 plate of nachos, salsa and guacamole to share. It cost us $10.00 total and for that we could use the loungers and tables and chairs for as long as we wanted. There was no pressure to buy more. Quite clean restrooms and showers.

We were there about 2 hours and felt that was enough. The water was quite cold. We ate, drank, walked the beach and had a (very short) swim.

Enjoyed our time but would not have wanted to pay $138.00 for it.

Hope this helps.

From all the posts I have read, I assume the water taxi that goes back and forth to stone island is like a row boat, with motor? Or are the taxies all independant and vary in size and capacity?

About how many passengers are in each taxi?

Thanks for the replies.

Seems like the water taxi might be ok, but now the walk does not sound that great with the rocky and uneven ground.

GSD4ME,

Good question. I was wondering about the size of these water taxies also.

I figured they were about the size of a large row boat with a motor. Maybe InToronto can tell us.

The water taxis hold approximately 16 people depending what is brought on board. The people who live on the "island" use them to get back and forth to the city (it's not really an island, but the it takes 2 hours by road to get to the city versus 5 minutes by water), so if someone is bringing his or her bike less people may get on.

As for entering and exiting the taxis, there should be no problems. The steps are small, and the crew members help people in and out.

The water taxis we were on did not hold 16 people. They were both a fair bit bigger than a rowboat, but wouldn't hold more than 10 people.

Come to think of it, I think there may be 2 locations to find the water taxis. Perhaps the one that the cruise ship tours use may have some transportation when you get to the island. I know that the tour people did not walk from the boats to the restaurants. We did see a large wagon type conveyance with seats pulled by a tractor over there.

I would think some of the passengers who took the tour should remember how they got to the boats.

If you can't find the information on the boards, ask the port information guy on the ship (not the people selling tours!). He should be able to give you some advice.

Mazatlan Mike has answered a lot of questions. Perhaps he could help if you posted to him.

In Tornoto,

Thanks for the info and advice.

After doing some google searches I did find some pix of the water taxis. There were a number of them at a dock at Stone Island. Some looked larger than others.

I have also seen some pix of those tractors pulling wagons. I will ask MMike.

Is it difficult getting in and out of the pangos ? One person in my party has somewhat limited mobility. (hip and knee problems) Can someone describe this in detail ?

When you get dropped off at Stone Island how far is the walk to the area where there are restaurants ? How difficult is it ?

I have also thought about going to El Cid. Any comments on this beach and hotel ? It might be easier than Stone Island.

When we went to Mazatlan we headed over to stone island first thing in morning, then headed for downtown after lunch (stoped at El cid) after lunch

stone island

when u get off the boat, if you walk down to the right you can catch a water taxi, for dirt cheap, (small fishing boat). once on island its a small walk to beach area, or you can hop on "taxi" back of pick up truck, there is a bit of walking we found,

I would suggest El Cid

We stoped by this hotel for awhile, and it was great, lots of nice pools, great beach, nice water. Many of the ships crew were also enjoying the day here. One of our Table mates, did the timeshare pres (recieved offer just off ship), and they said that it was great, presentation went fast, they got a free taxi ride, to and from resort, loved the hotel, and amenities, got a all inc. band for the day, with free drinks, and a excellent meal (and they were picky eaters). They said that they would definatley do the same again. It was there favorite port, because of EL Cid

When we got off the ship, we walked to the left to reach the water taxis so I think that the other way might be better.

Woops, your right, i put right but i ment to put left, when you walk out turn LEFT. its on the right side only if your staring at boat.

however i think gizmo will be happier at EL CID, as stone island, will be difficult with a bad hip, lots o uneven ground walking, etc

I am leaning towards El Cid but things could change. Some of the pix of those shrimp dishes at Stone Island sure look good. ; All this information has been a great help. :)

I am leaning towards El Cid but things could change. Some of the pix of those shrimp dishes at Stone Island sure look good. ; All this information has been a great help. :)

When i read the temptation for Shrimp, i laughed, because our tablemates that did the time share presentation here, raved about the shrimp plate they ate for lunch, free at the restraunt. o also im not sure if i mentioned earlier but they also got a free taxi ride there and back, (they were approached at pier). Shrimp yum yum! im tasting it now, lol. I think i know what to make for supper.

We also got approached at pier but turned it down, and regreted it latter, they had a much more enjoyable day than we did, (we were trying to get too much done)

Archived