What to do in St. Maarten?

The America's Cup racing is supposed to be fabulous. We've tried to go on that excursion before, but it's been cancelled because of poor weather. Unbelievably, the seas were too calm!

If you like nature type things then the butterfly farm is quite good. The shopping in St. Martin (French side) was just so-so, but perhaps I didn't know the best shops to visit.

We now just take a taxi to Little Divi, rent a couple of chairs and umbrella, and enjoy the beach.

DH, my best friend and I rented a car and did our own island tour...it was awsome and the Butterfly Farm was the highlight of the trip!!!!!!!

Have a great time!

Sam :)

PS- you may want to try looking on the Port-of-call board...they may be of some help too!

My vote is for Orient Beach, by far my most favorite beach area in the Caribbean to date. You can either take the excursion via the ship or head out to take a taxi which is reasonable with the more people you have going. It's on the French Side of the island and is absolutely beautiful. There is a nude beach adjacent to it, but you don't have to go there or look, hehehehe. :eek: Enjoy!

We just walk down the pier to the beach, where you can rent two chairs for $10. It's an inexpensive way to spend the day! (There is a water taxi, as another poster mentioned, for $5/day for unlimited trips).

Getting a cab to Maho Beach, where the planes come in real close, seems like an interesting thing to do too.

St.Maarten has THEE best liquor prices anywhere..even if you don't drink,buy them as gifts..how's $6 for Absolute Vodka?? How's $12 for Bailey's,which is $26-28 here..and $21-22 for Grand Marnier,which costs $50 here!!

Go to Maho Bch.and watch the planes land starting around 12:30 PM.. have a drink in the bar by the beach....then off to Orient Bch for a final swim...St.Maarten is our favorite island along with St.Thomas & Tortola..

Big Al

I second the suggestion of the America's cup. That was excellent. There were plenty of people so I didn't have an assignment. My sister was "cooler queen" (handed out cans of soft drinks). Another gal ran the radio I think. Then there were other assignments where you get a more hands on task for sailing. Very fun. They took a photo of us also.

eat lunch at the Phart...something

That just doesn't sound appealing for some reason! ;-)

But there is a fantastic choice of dining in St. Maarten/St. Martin; as another poster said, do check ports of call board, there's a ton of info there.

I agree with Annefran - Orient is my fav beach anywhere, definitely a great beach day. And don't miss the Guavaberry shop on Front St in Philipsburg! http://www.guavaberry.com/ Enjoy!

Thanks for all of your input! I might go to that nude beach...After all, it is a vacation!!

If you want to hit the clothing optional beach, ask the cabbie to drop you off at Pedros. Most times they drop people off at Bikini Beach Bar, which is a hike from Club Orient, the c/o beach club.

If you like beautiful beaches, you should definitely go to Orient Beach. It's gorgeous and you have your pick of bars and loungers. If you like something more active, the Rhino Riders are the best excursion I've done so far, and I've also heard that the Americas Cup is awesome too. St. Martin is our favorite island and everytime we go we have a difficult time picking just one thing we want to do. Enjoy!

Laura

First time in St. Maarten, we went to Orient Beach, and enjoyed it. This past February, we went to Little Divi and we enjoyed it even more! Little Divi has a great lunch bar area, bathrooms, and all sorts of water sports, and if you walk to the other side of the beach there are shops and other places to eat etc. Altho Orient is a great beach, we actually enjoyed Little Divi more. You cannot go wrong either place.

First time in St. Maarten, we went to Orient Beach, and enjoyed it. This past February, we went to Little Divi and we enjoyed it even more! Little Divi has a great lunch bar area, bathrooms, and all sorts of water sports, and if you walk to the other side of the beach there are shops and other places to eat etc. Altho Orient is a great beach, we actually enjoyed Little Divi more. You cannot go wrong either place.

When going to Little Divi do you have to contact them ahead of time and let them know you are going there or do you just show up?

We did the Rhino Riders this past Tuesday while on Liberty of the Seas, we had fun.

Jimbo:)

I humored my mother who wanted to go to the Butterfly Farm and was so glad. Check it out.

Cool costume jewelry and local art in a little shop in Marigot. It was just called the Art and Craft Shop I think...right across from the open air market and next to the public bathrooms.

I wish our stop were in St. Maarten this summer rather than San Juan!

My DH and I did the America's Cup race and it was more fun than the law should allow! I had never been on a sailboat before and it was fantastic. I will do again if we get back to St Marteen. I highly recommend it! We also took in Orient beach. Beautiful beach and lots of water sports going on.

Have fun no matter what you decide and relax, remember you're on vacation!

Rhonda

By law, all the beaches on the island are open to the public and if you want, you can just put a blanket down and sit for free. The beach operators will be glad to rent you a lounger and/or umbrella.

You should really go to the St Martin section of Ports-of-Call; these topics are talked about constantly. Same with all the other stops.

BTW during high season (winter), some resorts will reserve most of their loungers for their own guests. This is particulary true of Club Orient. Most of the chairs will be tagged. The other beach bars along Orient have no attached hotel operation so it should not be a problem, only Club O.

go out front to the taxi cab stations. Get a cab or bus over to Orient Beach, get dropped off at Kon Tiki and get your self a chair.

Find Nicholas the waiter and tell him to keep the Caribe's coming.

Also Phillipsburg and Marigot are beautiful too walk in. They have closed off the main street in Phillipsburg to pedestrian traffic only. It is quite a shopping experience.

Marigot is a delight to, the French side of the island.

I am reading there are many sections within Orient Beach - we don't want to go to Club orient - but have already had discussions with DS(14) and proper behavior - what are are your suggestions for having a taxi drop off - and can we easily get one then to shopping district - then can we easily get yet another taxi back to ship - don't mean to have my questions sound so elementary - but this is first time we are exploring off ship without being on an excusion.........thanks in advance

Archived