Best King Crab, Lobster and Crab Cakes ???

Fila

Thought it would be fun to someday hop a flight and sample some of this countries best places to enjoy King Crab Legs, Lobster and/or Crab Cakes.

I was hoping to get some first hand knowledge as to where the BEST restaurants or festivals are located.

madelinerose-

I am from Baltimore and my dearest Aunt that had the best crab cake recipe is since past. Would love it if you would post your fave recipe so I could give it a whirl.

Thanks!

The key is to keep it simple - bread crumbs, mayo, Worcestershire, fresh parsley, Old Bay Seasoning, beaten egg, jumbo backfin lump crab. No more than 1 tablespoon of anything per 1 pound of jumbo lump crab.

Your aunt probably used the same recipe as my grandmother. As long as you use more crab than anything else, it works. To a Marylander, nothing is worse than being served a crab cake that is mostly "filler" (bread) and, imho, please omit the red/green peppers. I prefer my crab cakes broiled vs. fried/sauteed.

Yeah, Baltimore would be very easy to fly into for lunch. Yum yum.

Where in Baltimore is the best of the best? And can you get the same quality cakes all year?

Great recipe! Not sure if I've ever seen Old Bay Seasoning. I'll have to check the store. Don't mean to sound really ignorant but what is "jumbo backfin lump crab"?

Fila,

Wow, we are not the only ones who have this crazy idea????!!! We recently saw a show on our local PBS channel which told us about a little shack of a place called "Reds Eats" in Wicasset, Maine. They are renowned for their lobster rolls. I'm sorry to say that I had never heard of a lobster roll and will not rest until I have one! We have decided that we should just hop a plane some weekend and go find out what we're missing. Sounds like we need to start in Baltimore for crab cakes and head north. I'm anxiuosly awaiting more advice on this thread from the North Easterners. What foods and/or what places shouldn't we miss?

P.S.

Thanks to all - I just ordered backfin lump crabmeat online. This will also be a first for me!!!

Baltimore! Hands down! My job takes me to Baltimore often and I look forward to the crab cakes. In fact, last year I spent a week in the Inner Harbor and had crab cakes at different restaurants 6 out of 7 nights!:) . On the 7th night, I went to Little Italy!:D

Well, maybe not for crabcakes. But it is the best place to go for barbecue.

Sorry for the double post.

Kewl..... Ain't nothing wrong with knowing where the best BBQ is :)

Yeah, Baltimore would be very easy to fly into for lunch. Yum yum.

Where in Baltimore is the best of the best? And can you get the same quality cakes all year?

Great recipe! Not sure if I've ever seen Old Bay Seasoning. I'll have to check the store. Don't mean to sound really ignorant but what is "jumbo backfin lump crab"?

Jumbo lump backfin - big chunks of backfin (the best, white, sweet crab). If you don't have jumbo lump, the crab meat is sort of torn apart, not actually shredded, but not jumbo lumps. Does this help?

IMHO, here are some of my fav places for crab cakes...

Gertrude's at the Baltimore Museum of Art, John Stevens, Angelina's, Bo Brook's & G&M Restaurant (no ambience). All are in Baltimore, except G&M, which is in Linthicum, close to BWI Airport. Same quality all year long.

Ok, now, you can't hold me to these restaurants, because chefs change all the time.

Good luck crab cake hunting!

Baltimore! Hands down! My job takes me to Baltimore often and I look forward to the crab cakes. In fact, last year I spent a week in the Inner Harbor and had crab cakes at different restaurants 6 out of 7 nights!:) . On the 7th night, I went to Little Italy!:D

Good for you! Hey, Little Italy's nothing to sneeze at - lol! My favorite used to be Bocaccio's, but they've really raised their prices and portion sizes.

IMHO, here are some of my fav places for crab cakes...

Gertrude's at the Baltimore Museum of Art, John Stevens, Angelina's, Bo Brook's & G&M Restaurant (no ambience). All are in Baltimore, except G&M, which is in Linthicum, close to BWI Airport. Same quality all year long.

Ok, now, you can't hold me to these restaurants, because chefs change all the time.

Good luck crab cake hunting!

Madelinerose, Thank you. Exactly what I wanted to know. Do you have any festivals in Baltimore? If so what time of year.

About the Jumbo Lump Backfin, I'll have to see what Irishjayne suggested and check out Costco. Otherwise I do not know where to get the GOOD fresh crab meat.

Madelinerose, thank you for posting your aunt's recipe. I just found some jumbo backfine lump crab at BJ's and am looking forward to trying this recipe, it sounds absolutely delicious. BJ's can was $15.99, it was a good size can, not sure what the ounces were, didn't look, I guess I was so excited about finding it, it didn't matter. Thanks again.

Archived