Home from Alaska

genmasjoy

We just got back from a June 6 to 16 cruise tour on Sapphire Princess. The tour part was pre-cruise, flying into Fairbanks, then on to Denali and to the ship by dome train car. The whole trip was wonderful. Living in Florida, it was a complete change of scene to be in Alaska and we spent many hours on our balcony just watching the passing scenery. The Princess lodges at Fairbanks and Denali were comfortable and the ship was in top shape and very well organized. We enjoyed every day of the vacation and have no complaints.

Glad you had a ncie time. When you say the lodges were comfortable does that mean they weren't luxurious? We did a Princess cruise tour through the Canadian Rockies and the hotels were 5 starr. Just wondering about the lodges.

I did this tour in late May. I found the Lodges to be, well "lodge-like." They were very comfortable, clean, casual, wonderful scenery, and well run. They were not luxurious, or urban like. I suppose it is a matter of taste, but I thought they provided the right tone for Alaska's more rugged environment. McKinley had the most beautiful setting, atmosphere, and view that I could imagine. The somewhat basic room did not detract from that at all.

Truthfully, the land tour was so busy we had almost no time in the room.

One other thing....I don't believe either of them (Denali or McKinley) had air conditioning which was not an issue when we were there.

The Denali lodge was in a beautiful setting and it had a choice of restaurants. There was a main building and the rooms were in outer buildings. It was completely comfortable but I wouldn't describe it as luxuriouis.

We never could get a meal served to us "hot" at the Denali Lodge or the Copper River Lodge. It was as though no one knew how to prepare a meal and keep it hot. Denali Lodge was nice but I didn't like the fact that the restaurants and main lobby were not part of the lodge itself. At Copper River we complained on our last night there about the cold meals served to us and the manager was quite upset with kitchen staff. He comped us breakfast the next morning before we left and guess what....the eggs were cold, ham was cold, toast was cold, but coffee was warm. I couldn't believe it, and the total for the breakfast had we paid was $34 for two. Princess doesn't care either because I took the survey that was in both rooms and voiced our complaints and never heard a word. Doesn't surprise me, I guess Princess feels $7500 for a cruisetour doesn't deserve any acknowledgement of a complaint.

I did this tour in late May. I found the Lodges to be, well "lodge-like." They were very comfortable, clean, casual, wonderful scenery, and well run. They were not luxurious, or urban like. I suppose it is a matter of taste, but I thought they provided the right tone for Alaska's more rugged environment. McKinley had the most beautiful setting, atmosphere, and view that I could imagine. The somewhat basic room did not detract from that at all.

Truthfully, the land tour was so busy we had almost no time in the room.

One other thing....I don't believe either of them (Denali or McKinley) had air conditioning which was not an issue when we were there.

Thanks, especially for the tip on the A/C.

We never could get a meal served to us "hot" at the Denali Lodge or the Copper River Lodge. It was as though no one knew how to prepare a meal and keep it hot. Denali Lodge was nice but I didn't like the fact that the restaurants and main lobby were not part of the lodge itself. At Copper River we complained on our last night there about the cold meals served to us and the manager was quite upset with kitchen staff. He comped us breakfast the next morning before we left and guess what....the eggs were cold, ham was cold, toast was cold, but coffee was warm. I couldn't believe it, and the total for the breakfast had we paid was $34 for two. Princess doesn't care either because I took the survey that was in both rooms and voiced our complaints and never heard a word. Doesn't surprise me, I guess Princess feels $7500 for a cruisetour doesn't deserve any acknowledgement of a complaint.

Thanks, this is good to know. We did the Canadian Rockies cruisetour and it was fabulous. All meals included and they were first class. The hotels were the fairmonts. Most looked like castles and were very nice. Only one (Jasper) was more like a lodge and lacked the A/C. I found it very uncomfortable and was glad to move on. THe rest all had A/C and were very nice.

We were not on a Princess cruisetour but did stay at McKinley Princess one night (yes, "the mountain" was out:) ) and it's very "lodge like" as other mentioned but no problem with food not being hot.. we ate dinner there in casual cafe bec. had pizza midafternoon in Talkeetna and were not that hungry. Met friends staying at Denali Princess for dinner in the "salmon restaurant" (Name escapes me and too lazy to go look) and it was probably one of the best meals we have ever had.. the Halibut scallopini was divine (we did get recipe for it from Chef Thompson but not for the parmesan risotto:( ) and the sockeye salmon that DH and I had was perfection.. pricey but IMHO worth every single penny for every single morsel.

Personally I prefer McKinley to Denali lodge for its location but then I like the wilderness... there isn't anything to do there really but hike and add to the "rock collection" signatures on the lower path but that's the beauty of it for one serene day and evening and the view from the balcony of "the mountain" is spectacular when it cooperates.

Archived