Transfer to Valparaiso

mauimacho

I would recommend contacting HAL and arranging the transfer with them. We did the opposite (Rio to Valpariso) and took a short tour of Valpariso, visited the wine country then went into Santiago for a day of sightseeing prior to flying home that night. It was a good tour and made the transfer very easy!

mauimacho: we had the same situation last December. We arranged a transfer with PortCompass Tours- I think their web site is http://www.portcompass.com

I worked with Sue May at PortCompass and was able to arrange a transfer from Santiago to Valpo that included a stop at the winery and a great tour of Vina del Mar and Vaparaiso. The transfer/tour worked out to about $100 pp, including lunch at a cool little restaurant on a hillside in Valpo on a verandah overlooking the city. We had one other couple on the transfer, who stayed at a different hotel than ours-wasn't a problem. Sue also booked our hote (Hyatt Regency) in Santiago and got us a discount. The Hyatt is a beautiful and very comfortable hotel. If you are flying in to Santiago, and if you are US citizens, you will have to pay $100 pp, US dollars, CASH upon arrival in Chile, before you even get to immigration, I found a taxi/shuttle company on the internet to take us from the airport to the Hyatt-they were waiting for us.

You will fiind a lot of helpful information over on the Ports of Call board, in the South America forum. Hope this helps a bit! Let us know if we can be of further assistance!

I agree with localady.

I, too, did the Rio-Valparaiso route and took the HAL tour to Santiago followed by the lo-o-o-o-ng flight home.

If you have HAL make all the transfer arrangements you have no worries. (And the tour was interesting.)

btw-that was the absolute best cruise of my life. I hope to do it again someday---long flights and all. :)

Mauimacho

Don't know where you are staying the night before, but depending on which hotel you can arrange with the hotel to have a car take you on a tour and then to Valparaiso. We did this in January when we sailed onthe Royal Princess and I got the idea from some earlier cruisers in their reviews of the cruise around the Horn. If you get your own you can decide what you would like to see and when you would like to go.

Ann

Hi BillS, we were on the transfer and cruise with you.After you telling me how much you loved the Cat. S cabin ,on our last cruise in May of this year I had to have one. You were right- now I only want cat S. we are going to carribbean in oct. have one booked. Thanks I never knew what I was missing. Hope you and Tom (I think) are doing well and yes So Am was a wonderful cruise. I wish we had used HA transfer instead, oh well still had a nuce day on the way to airport but HA did some extra things for guests and arrived at the airport later, we had a long wait. vicki

Archived