Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, or Holland?

TravelResearcher

I am helping to plan a reunion get-together in Alaska in June 2008 for 21 adults, all in our young sixties. We are an active group of former Peace Corps volunteers with no significant health problems. We are going to first rent a large house in Whistler for four nights, then do a round-trip cruise out of Vancouver. Here are my choices looking at the last two weekends, leaving on a Saturday or Sunday:

Celebrity Mercury--Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Sitka

Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas--Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, and Juneau

Holland Statendam or Volendam--Juneau, Skaway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan

What seems to be most important is good food, the best itinerary, good prices, and places to get together on the ship. From my research, I can't identify one that has the best of all of these.

I was leaning toward Mercury but have these concerns: doesn't go to Glacier Bay, dress-up requirements every night may be a negative for our group, rated only 3 stars by Cruise Critic. Everything else seems positive based on what we are looking for.

Speaking of prices, I tried Cruise Compete and have received quotes from two different sources so far. One priced Celebrity Mercury much higher, the other Royal Caribbean Serendade of the Seas much higher (I haven't requested a price for Holland yet). The second one gave me a quote for the whole group (the 10 people and different types of cabins I put into the request), but it still overall should have been the same in terms of which one was higher.

Any advice would be appreciated. This will be my first cruise, so I feel a little overwhelmed making this decision, especially since so many people are involved.

Out of those 3 choices, I would go with Holland America purely on their Glacier Day. Ships don't seem to be getting close to Hubbard right now (June or before) and I'd want to see calfing. It seems you're one day light on the ports?

Good luck planning!

I was just on the celebrity Summit last week which I believe is similar to the Mercury-- I can tell you Alaska dress requirements aren't that stringent. I think as long as your group dresses nicely (no holes in the jeans or flannel shirts at dinner) they will be fine.

As for Service-- I can't imagine any ship could provide better service and they have lots of meeting places either planned or spontanous throughout the ship...

Of your list, my choice would be HAL. But is there a HAL itinerary available in your timeframe that also includes Tracy Arm?? In my opinion, that is one of the nicest itineraries sailing round trip Alaska.

I was just on the celebrity Summit last week which I believe is similar to the Mercury-- I can tell you Alaska dress requirements aren't that stringent. I think as long as your group dresses nicely (no holes in the jeans or flannel shirts at dinner) they will be fine.

As for Service-- I can't imagine any ship could provide better service and they have lots of meeting places either planned or spontanous throughout the ship...

With all due respect the Summit and Mercury are from a different class of ship and are quite different. The Mercury has been very reliable while the Summit has had propulsion that has been going on for the last six years, resulting in many cancelled cruises and missed ports.

Unless something has changed in the past few weeks there are two formal nights on the Summit and jeans, with or without holes, would not be allowed in the dining room, on formal night.

Of the three choices I would chooses Hal as they have the most experience and really interested in showing the best that Alaska has to offer.

Archived