smoking in the cabins

travmagic

If you're able to smell smoke then you'd be the first person I've read about here that had that problem. I'm not saying it's never happened but I've never read about someone saying they smelled smoke. NCL has some magic potion that eliminates the smell. Over and over people comment here wanting to know what it is. I hope that's how it is for you.

I completely agree with you on this. We've never had a problem with any lingering smoke odors in any cabin on any ship. Now, maybe there were never any smokers in those cabins (at least, not right before us), I don't know.

My DH and I both quit a long time ago (and good for you for quitting!), and my DH has asthma now. We are very sensitive to the issue of smoke. It's true that smoke (all kinds) contains irritants, which are what most people are sensitive to. But there are some people who do have true allergies to certain chemicals in smoke. In those cases, it's really not all that much different from being allergic to chemical compounds in certain foods, animal danders, or plants. Unfortunately, so many people use "allergic to" interchangeably with "sensitive to" or "irritated by" that the difference has become lost in translation, so to speak.

It's a difficult thing because there is no way to please everyone. I would consider talking to a cabin neighbor if they were on the balcony chain-smoking or smoking out there all day, but I would hesitate because when I asked this question on another CC forum some time back, a few members responded that if anyone had the nerve to even mention to them "I'm sorry to disturb you, but could we possibly come to a compromise so that we can enjoy our balcony too" that they would respond with "no way; how dare you" and that they would then smoke on the balcony even more--just to bother their neighbor. I hope that most people would agree to a compromise, but I guess you just never know.

Bottom line is that as long as the cruise lines allow pax to smoke on their balconies that we book knowing the policy.

beachchick

I asked this question on another CC forum some time back, a few members responded that if anyone had the nerve to even mention to them "I'm sorry to disturb you, but could we possibly come to a compromise so that we can enjoy our balcony too" that they would respond with "no way; how dare you" and that they would then smoke on the balcony even more--just to bother their neighbor.

This, unfortunately, is the usual reaction in most any situation with most smokers, notwithstanding the considerate ones who have posted here that they'd have no problem with such a request. If we do end up with prolifically smoking neighbors I seriously doubt I'd dare ask them to have some consideration for us because of the above, very likely, reaction. :(

I'm not a smoke n**i, I've had a few cigarettes in my time and I've posted earlier I have several friends who smoke. I sit outside at cafes with them and they smoke. They refrain from smoking in their vehicles when I'm with them. I've never seen them leave a butt on a floor or sidewalk anywhere. If I go to a "smoking area" such as a bar that allows smoking, I do so with the full realization I'm going to be exposed to smoke. I know I'll end up with a crushing headache after being around smoke for any length of time--is it an allergy? No, but it still makes me sick--and the thought of possibly being held hostage in my own cabin for a week is not a pleasant one. Fortunately we don't plan to spend a LOT of time in the cabin, but there is "at sea" time during which I'm really counting on being able to settle on my own balcony with a good book or crossword puzzle while watching the scenery go by!

Oh well, maybe it'll rain the whole time and the whole point will be moot.

I have heard before that very few people are actually allergic to cigarette smoke. As others have said, for most allergy-prone people, it does trigger other allergies.

However, what's the difference between cigarette smoke TRIGGERING allergies or actually BEING an allergy??? Nothing, in my book. Both have the same result, an allergic reaction.

So, I feel for those who have breathing problems and allergic reactions. Some smokers (not neccessarily in this thread) have made comments such as these problems are made up or insignificant, because people are not allergic to smoke itself, and I feel that is wrong.

I hope that we can all agree that cigarette smoke for some people can cause a terrible reaction.

My dad has problems around smoke, as do I (to a much lesser extent). I hope that smokers and non-smokers can learn to live together on cruise ships. The key is respect.

I have heard before that very few people are actually allergic to cigarette smoke. As others have said, for most allergy-prone people, it does trigger other allergies.

However, what's the difference between cigarette smoke TRIGGERING allergies or actually BEING an allergy???

If the item a person is allergic to isn't present, I don't think the reaction could be triggered.

If the item a person is allergic to isn't present, I don't think the reaction could be triggered.

Exactly. Thank you.

I know how dangerous smoking is, how destructive it can be to a person's health and those around them. I was simply pointing out something my own allergist pointed out to me. My mother used to swear that other people's perfume sent her into allergy fits and she would make a great and very obnoxious show of how she was suffering. (The same argument is supposed to apply to perfume- one can be sensitive, but you have to actually put it on and it must contain proteins to trigger a true allergic reaction). She wore perfume as well, but apparently really expensive perfume is hypo-allergenic.:rolleyes:

If you ask nicely, I truly believe most smokers will accommodate you. The key is being nice.

I completely agree with you! You wouldn't be able to trigger an allergic reaction without the allergen itself being present.

What I was trying to say was that based upon what other "allergic" individuals have been saying, it seems that if smoke is present along with any of their allergen (cleaning products, whatever) the smoke can cause the reaction to be much more severe. Based upon what my dad has said, smoke can hinder his breathing, cause coughing and congestion, and more. Add this to any allergic reaction and the symtoms of that reaction are going to more severe (in his case, anyway).

If a true allergen is present, yes, they will most likely have an allergic reaction anyway. But it may be much less severe than if smoke is present.

That is why I think it is important to remember that smoke can worsen an allergy attack. I agree we must all play nice so that we can enjoy our fabulous cruise vacations!;)

Only one time have we ever smelled smoke in a cabin. On our HAL cruise last November we could smell it when we first walked in the carbin, especially the first day. We did ask to have it sprayed or something, which HAL said they would do. Either they didn't or it didn't work. We could only pick up the odor the first couple of minutes in the cabin. As the 10 days went by the smell did seem to disappear. I do not think anyone needs to be overly concerned, smoker or not, alergic or not (we all know not many are truely alergic to smoke). Personally I can't imagine smoking in a cabin. They are so small and confining anyway. I think the balcony is a more acceptable place to light up. NMNita

I'm just so happy that someone came forth with testimony that they DID smell smoke remains when they entered their cabin and even after a quick clean with the miracle "SmokeGone" it was still there. Sounds like you had a really heavy smoker that stayed sick in the cabin the whole week just smoking away. You never know who was there before or who will be around you when you get there. It's everywhere! It's everywhere!

I'm just so happy that someone came forth with testimony that they DID smell smoke remains when they entered their cabin and even after a quick clean with the miracle "SmokeGone" it was still there.

This makes you happy :(

I completely agree with you! You wouldn't be able to trigger an allergic reaction without the allergen itself being present.

What I was trying to say was that based upon what other "allergic" individuals have been saying, it seems that if smoke is present along with any of their allergen (cleaning products, whatever) the smoke can cause the reaction to be much more severe. Based upon what my dad has said, smoke can hinder his breathing, cause coughing and congestion, and more. Add this to any allergic reaction and the symtoms of that reaction are going to more severe (in his case, anyway).

If a true allergen is present, yes, they will most likely have an allergic reaction anyway. But it may be much less severe than if smoke is present.

That is why I think it is important to remember that smoke can worsen an allergy attack. I agree we must all play nice so that we can enjoy our fabulous cruise vacations!;)

I completely agree with you. What I don't understand is why we're splitting hairs over terminology - whether a reaction is an actual allergic reaction, a trigger, etc. It's undeniable that cigarette smoke is harmful (both to the smoker and as second-hand smoke), not just as an annoyance but as actually harmful to one's health. It is especially dangerous for anyone who has respiratory problems (e.g., asthma). When someone starts coughing or wheezing because of cigarette smoke, who cares if it's an actual allergy or not? Certainly not the person who's struggling for breath.

I completely agree with you. What I don't understand is why we're splitting hairs over terminology - whether a reaction is an actual allergic reaction, a trigger, etc. It's undeniable that cigarette smoke is harmful (both to the smoker and as second-hand smoke), not just as an annoyance but as actually harmful to one's health. It is especially dangerous for anyone who has respiratory problems (e.g., asthma). When someone starts coughing or wheezing because of cigarette smoke, who cares if it's an actual allergy or not? Certainly not the person who's struggling for breath.

Thank you for explaining exactly what I was trying to say!

Archived