Cost of Train vs. Bus Whittier to Anchorage

RebelTX

What you need to do is post this question on the Ports of Call Board for Alaska. There are some good posters over there who have been to Alaska alot and can help you.

Marilyn

Good suggestion to post on Alaska board. They've been very helpful to me. However, I've researched how to get to Anchorage from Whittier, so I can tell you a little. The cost of the train and bus are similar (around $50-60 one way, per person, or thereabouts). There are different shuttle companies (I booked with Alaskan Leopard) but there's also Magic Shuttle and one or two more. The problem, if there is one, with the train, is that the timing is a bit weird for getting from Whittier to Anchorage - have to wait around quite a bit, as opposed to the shuttles, which depart soon after the cruise arrives Whittier.The trip by bus takes an hour to a couple hours, depending upon what company you book with. I'm going with Leopard because they stop at a couple places, plus give you a brief tour of Anchorage, rather than just take you immediately to the airport in Anchorage. Of course, if you have a morning flight, then you'll want the fastest shuttle you can find! Anyway, perhaps by now you've gotten a reply from the Ports board, but if not - hope this helps!

I need to know the price of Princess transfers from Whittier to Anchorage by bus and by train.

I would think your TA should get that information for you. Try that.

marilyn

Tried calling Princess and they won't tell me since I don't have a booking or a prospective date to cruise :confused:. All I need is the cost for each. Help anybody?

sad, you should try to call again, sorry you couldn't get an actual answer, it's probly because in 08' prices are changing for somethings that are going on up there. the r/r is ~about~180 total based on double occupancy, and mtc(motorcoach) is 55 per person. hope this helps :)

Hi RebelTX

We paid $90 each for the train tansfer from Whittier to Anchorage with Princess. You will utilize the Alaskan Railroad viewing cars on this route. You will also probably disembark early (7:30?) to take this early morning train. It was only three weeks ago and it is already beginning to blur. :(

By the way I believe the bus transfer was going to cost around $55. We decided to take the train and we enjoyed the trip but the highway does often run parallel to the tracks along the Turnagain arm. So you will see plenty of scenery either way.

Hope this helps.

Travlngar

Archived