Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

[quote name='mommabean']Beresford saw us and was waving back. I never thought it would be so much fun to watch my ship leave without me.[/quote]

Speaking of Baresford, I wonder where he will be working since they converted his (Hollywood Odyssey) bar to the Concierge Lounge? Apparently, after over 25 years with the company, nobody could sell cigars better than he, which is one of the reasons he mostly worked only that bar.

I also wonder where the cigar bar is going to be located now? It was only in the Oddyssey for a few hours each night.

[quote name='Ahhh']Speaking of Baresford, I wonder where he will be working since they converted his (Hollywood Odyssey) bar to the Concierge Lounge? Apparently, after over 25 years with the company, nobody could sell cigars better than he, which is one of the reasons he mostly worked only that bar.

I also wonder where the cigar bar is going to be located now? It was only in the Oddyssey for a few hours each night.[/QUOTE]

There is no more cigar bar on board Radiance. :( I haven't yet heard where Beresford is working.

Gina

[quote name='mommabean']The little I've heard so far is that Giovanny's Table, Samba & Izumi are all fantastic. Who would have thought otherwise? :rolleyes:

There are only 15 D+ on board and no Pinnacles.

And I saw you first, Frank....LOL :p ;)

Gina[/quote]

[B][COLOR=blue]Good news for JD. It'll give him a chance to settle in to his new home if it's a light week in the lounge. Guess Reyno will board tomorrow.[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='sbalax']It's good to see you here, too! We're doing fine. I have another new hip since we last saw you and Norm is still flying for Continental soon to be the "New" United.

Doc--

Neither Norm nor I remember Captain Claus commenting about access to the aft dining area during his talk but we might have tuned out during his long and detailed answer to you question about plumbing.:D It makes sense, though, that there would have to be access.

Gina--

We saw you! And hope to see you again soon on another cruise.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA:cool:[/quote]

Tell Norm we said HI and that maybe we will see him on our December Co flight from Pitt to Houston. I THINK I remembered yhou saying he was based in Houston or was that my imagination?

[quote name='dramaqueen4lyfe'][B][COLOR=blue]Good news for JD. It'll give him a chance to settle in to his new home if it's a light week in the lounge. Guess Reyno will board tomorrow.[/COLOR][/B][/quote]
He was to board today in Ketchikan. He arrived in Seattle about 6 last night.

I sent an email to a friend who is currently on Radiance with some questions. Here are her responses in red.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]

1. Is the Concierge Lounge really that bright and "yellow"? [COLOR=Red]No...all redone, new carpeting and nice chairs. Brown and beige warm tones.[/COLOR]

2. Regarding the Diamond Club. Is it a good size to hold a fairly decent crowd?[COLOR=Red] Have not been in the D club yet, will check it out for you though.[/COLOR]

3. For breakfast in the WJ, are they allowing folks to eat at the tables at Rita's Cantina and Izumi just for breakfast?[COLOR=Red] yes, I have seen people go in and eat there for lunch on port day. BTW, no more Diamond plus private breakfasts.[/COLOR]

4. Did they install one of those fancy soda machines that use the cups with the computer chip? [COLOR=Red]No, nothing like that here.

[/COLOR]5. Where is the Murder Mystery Dinner being held? [COLOR=Red]Murder Mystery dinner is in Giovannis now.

[/COLOR]6. And last but not least.............any plumbing problems. [COLOR=Red]nope, we are in an aft JS and no smells, no flushing issues.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]
Let me first say that the Radiance is even more beautiful than she was. The crew is fabulous and happy. Ran into some of our old favorites.

The food has been incredible, WJ and specialty restaurants are excellent. Not yet eaten in the MDR yet. Too many interesting places to eat. I know I will gain ten pounds easily.

If you have any more questions let me know.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='cruisenfever']Here's a picture of new balcony furniture with the higher table.[/QUOTE]

Ok...yeah...that sure makes sense. I have been to many resorts here in Florida, and the the people who are manufacturing those "3/4 tables and chairs" are making a lot of money.

Seems the government, who decided to require those "safety rails", never bothered to sit in our normal chairs and they put that awful rail right at eye level. :rolleyes: Sheezz....

I just came back from Hawaii staying at a great resort with lanai (balcony to landlubbers) right over the waves. Had to grab a big pillow from the bedroom to sit on the chair to see the view...sheezz.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[quote name='cruisenfever']Here's a picture of new balcony furniture with the higher table.[/quote]

Thanks for the photo of the new furniture. Just wondering if you have a photo of the new furniture on hump / bump cabins and if there will also be new lounge chairs for the larger balconies? Thanks again :)

[quote name='LuckiePuris']Thanks for the photo of the new furniture. Just wondering if you have a photo of the new furniture on hump / bump cabins and if there will also be new lounge chairs for the larger balconies? Thanks again :)[/quote]
Unfortunately I do not. But it appears that all balcony cabins got the same furniture. Have no idea about lounger chairs.

First off I want to thank Patti and Mommabean for bringing so much life to this. I have been on Radiance once it was our first cruise on RCL and right after we went on the Jewel. We have moved on to try the other RCL ships but Radiance always holds a special place in our heart.

Seeing all the Revitatzation and you two trading little secrets back and forth is such great enjoyment. I am just sorry Radiance will be no where we can travel but I know when you go we will all have so much fun reading and hopefully seeing tons of pictures, and sharing your adventures aboard.

Looking at the YouTube video makes such a wow impression and all though it still looks like the Radiance now it looks like the Radiance on steriods LOL.. Thanks Patti and Gina for sharing it is and still is loads of fun

[quote name='dfishner']First off I want to thank Patti and Mommabean for bringing so much life to this. I have been on Radiance once it was our first cruise on RCL and right after we went on the Jewel. We have moved on to try the other RCL ships but Radiance always holds a special place in our heart.

Seeing all the Revitatzation and you two trading little secrets back and forth is such great enjoyment. I am just sorry Radiance will be no where we can travel but I know when you go we will all have so much fun reading and hopefully seeing tons of pictures, and sharing your adventures aboard.

Looking at the YouTube video makes such a wow impression and all though it still looks like the Radiance now it looks like the Radiance on steriods LOL.. Thanks Patti and Gina for sharing it is and still is loads of fun[/quote]
Thank you so much for the kind words Dale, it means a lot. I guess between our 12 cruises so far on her and I don't know how many times Gina has been on..........we each kind of compliment each other. She has her favorites and we have ours.;)

It's fun talking about a ship that you really love. We just can't wait to board her on September 27.

[quote name='dfishner']First off I want to thank Patti and Mommabean for bringing so much life to this. [/QUOTE]

And thanks to Patti for giving birth to this Radiance thread nearly four years ago!! It's great to be able to read and share feelings and info about such a beloved ship. Her revitalization is exciting (well, maybe other than that big poolside screen), and I wish we were boarding in September too...;)

[quote name='LuckiePuris']Thanks for the photo of the new furniture. Just wondering if you have a photo of the new furniture on hump / bump cabins and if there will also be new lounge chairs for the larger balconies? Thanks again :)[/quote]
We have an aft cabin and could not see the end of the ship very well, only a bit of the corner Aft, so will definitely be checking that out on ROS next stop here!!! We are keen to see if there are lounge chairs as well as the chairs.

She docked on the side that is not very accessible to the public right now at CP and so we could only see a bit of the Aft end. I will be sending any photos on to Patti who is so clever at being able to post them!!!!:D

[quote name='cruisenfever']Unfortunately I do not. But it appears that all balcony cabins got the same furniture. Have no idea about lounger chairs.[/quote]

[quote name='CVU']We have an aft cabin and could not see the end of the ship very well, only a bit of the corner Aft, so will definitely be checking that out on ROS next stop here!!! We are keen to see if there are lounge chairs as well as the chairs.

She docked on the side that is not very accessible to the public right now at CP and so we could only see a bit of the Aft end. I will be sending any photos on to Patti who is so clever at being able to post them!!!!:D[/quote]

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated. The new balcony furniture does look comfortable.

CVU if you do manage to see any lounge chairs, please come back and let us know!

Looking forward to the reviews and photos of the new Radiance :)

[quote name='LuckiePuris']Thank you for your replies, much appreciated. The new balcony furniture does look comfortable.

CVU if you do manage to see any lounge chairs, please come back and let us know!

Looking forward to the reviews and photos of the new Radiance :)[/quote]
Yes, will do that, as we have a large Aft balcony and want to see what is on it.:D we loved the new higher and bigger table!!! Beats eating off a foot stool.......:rolleyes:

[quote name='CVU']Yes, will do that, as we have a large Aft balcony and want to see what is on it.:D we loved the new higher and bigger table!!! Beats eating off a foot stool.......:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I will have 1104 - my 1st aft :D Looking forward to your pics

BTW, I have always wanted to ask ... what are you doing in your pic? It looks so interesting, but it is too small to see. For the longest time I thought maybe you were holding little monkeys LOL!!! :o

[quote name='cruisenfever']Thank you so much for the kind words Dale, it means a lot. I guess between our 12 cruises so far on her and I don't know how many times Gina has been on..........we each kind of compliment each other. She has her favorites and we have ours.

It's fun talking about a ship that you really love. We just can't wait to board her on September 27.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know how many times I've been on her either. I decided to check. :eek: Oh no...should I be embarrassed? :o

Lucky [SIZE="1"]13[/SIZE]. I never would have guessed.

Favorite whats? I really did like those onion rings. ;) I like Juan Diego, too. I like BOTH captains. :D

I don't like Trivia...I think you do. :) We both don't like seeing bathrobes in the CL. LOL Do you think they will wear them all the way up to deck 13? I really hope the trip up the elevator eliminates that little morning activity. :eek:

Gina

PS...I just went and checked how many cruises I've really taken. People tend to ask that and I really had no idea. Less than I thought, that's for sure. It makes my RD cruises seem even more odd...over 1/3 of my cruises have been on her. Enchantment is number 2 of course.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"]Can not wait to board one of my favorite ships again soon. From the press release it looks like there are lots of new dining options to try out.:)

[COLOR="Teal"]RADIANCE OF THE SEAS DELIVERS THE ROYAL ADVANTAGE TO VACATIONERS FOLLOWING THE MOST EXTENSIVE REVITALIZATION TO DATE

Signature Amenities Extend to Intimately Sized Ships, Reaching a Variety of Guests

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS DELIVERS THE ROYAL ADVANTAGE TO VACATIONERS FOLLOWING THE MOST EXTENSIVE REVITALIZATION TO DATE

Signature Amenities Extend to Intimately Sized Ships, Reaching a Variety of Guests
MIAMI, June 14, 2011 - After a 21-day dry-dock, Royal Caribbean International's Radiance of the Seas reemerged from one of the most extensive revitalizations of the cruise line's approximately $70 million Royal Advantage enhancements program for 2011. The new variety of dining concepts, entertainment options, children's programming and technology advancements originally introduced to industry-wide acclaim aboard Royal Caribbean's new Oasis-class ships, debuts onboard Radiance of the Seas. The enhancements to Radiance of the Seas delivers on the global cruise line's Royal Advantage, a commitment to provide guests with the industry's most innovative cruise ships, exciting destinations and superior Gold Anchor service for an extraordinary cruise vacation. This summer Radiance of the Seas sails alternating, seven-night Southbound and Northbound Alaska itineraries before repositioning for its first winter 2011 season to Australia and New Zealand.

"Radiance of the Seas' drydock is part of Royal Caribbean's multi-ship enhancement and revitalization strategy to deliver the Royal Advantage to our guests," said Lisa Bauer, senior vice president, Hotel Operations, Royal Caribbean International. "The Royal Advantage comprises some of the industry's most innovative onboard amenities, programs and Gold Anchor Service that make up the most contemporary cruise vacation. By introducing almost all of the same specialty restaurants that can currently be found onboard Allure of the Seas as well some of the Oasis-class ships' most popular concepts to Radiance of the Seas, guests can enjoy a variety of brand new onboard experiences."

Guests eager to relish in Royal Caribbean's signature innovations while experiencing more exotic destinations, will find that balance onboard Radiance of the Seas. The all-encompassing revitalization introduces a range of amenities and experiences from the Royal Babies and Tots Nursery designed for children, 6 - 36 months old, to 12 newly added accommodations - one family, five interior and six exterior staterooms - and technology enhancements that include Wi-Fi availability throughout the ship and flat-panel interactive televisions in all staterooms.

The ship also features a new Concierge Lounge for suite guests, a Diamond Lounge for Crown & Anchor Society loyalty program members, the Quill and Compass Pub and an outdoor LED video wall overlooking the main pool area where families, friends and couples can enjoy movies under the stars and entertainment programs during the day.

Dining options onboard Radiance of the Seas have nearly doubled with the addition of seven of the most highly acclaimed dining concepts in the fleet, including Samba Grill a Brazilian steakhouse, the Asian Izumi restaurant, the Mexican-themed Rita's Cantina and the Italian family-style restaurant Giovanni's Table, as well as the Boardwalk Dog House hotdog stand, Park Café deli-style restaurant and the exclusive Chef's Table dining experience. Concept overviews and pricing are as follows:

Boardwalk Dog House: Guests can choose from traditional hot dogs, wieners, brats, sausages and other delicious linked meats and a variety of toppings to split a long bun (open for lunch and dinner, complimentary)

Giovanni's Table: An Italian trattoria featuring Italian classics served family-style (open for lunch, $15, and dinner, $20)

Izumi: Featuring mouthwatering flavors and a sushi bar with hot-rock cooking, the pan Asian cuisine restaurant is a no-hassle, authentic dining experience (open for lunch and dinner, $3.00 cover charge for lunch and $5.00 for dinner plus a la carte menu pricing)

Park Café: An indoor/outdoor gourmet market featuring salads, sandwiches, soups and pastries (open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, complimentary)

Rita's Cantina: A casual yet vibrant indoor/outdoor restaurant, catering to families by day, and adults by night; offering traditional Mexican fare, a comprehensive selection of margaritas and live guitar music and dancing for evening entertainment (open for lunch and dinner, $3 cover charge and a la carte menu pricing)

Samba Grill: Styled after popular Brazilian steakhouses, the churrascaria is an interactive experience where guests choose from a variety of meats, chicken and seafood brought table-side by servers, ready to slice and serve upon request (open for dinner, $25 per person)

Chef's Table: An exclusive and private experience co-hosted by the executive Chef and Sommelier for a wine pairing dinner of five courses (open for dinner, $95 per person).

Four ships are undergoing revitalizations in 2011 including Liberty of the Seas (January), Freedom of the Seas (March), Radiance of the Seas, and Splendour of the Seas (October). Each ship will reemerge outfitted with the most highly guest-rated features introduced on Royal Caribbean's new Oasis-class ships. Even Oasis of the Seas, the first Oasis-class ship, now boasts new features with the recent addition of the DreamWorks Experience and 3-D movies which first debuted on Allure of the Seas.[/COLOR]

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Here is the official press release with video at the bottom

[URL]http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/mmnr/688/RADIANCE-OF-THE-SEAS-DELIVERS-THE-ROYAL-ADVANTAGE-TO-VACATIONERS-FOLLOWING-THE-MOST-EXTENSIVE-REVITALIZATION-TO-DATE[/URL]

[quote name='mommabean']I didn't know how many times I've been on her either. I decided to check. Oh no...should I be embarrassed? :o

Lucky [SIZE=1]13[/SIZE]. I never would have guessed.

Favorite whats? I really did like those onion rings. ;) I like Juan Diego, too. I like BOTH captains.

I don't like Trivia...I think you do. We both don't like seeing bathrobes in the CL. LOL Do you think they will wear them all the way up to deck 13? I really hope the trip up the elevator eliminates that little morning activity. :eek:

Gina

PS...I just went and checked how many cruises I've really taken. People tend to ask that and I really had no idea. Less than I thought, that's for sure. It makes my RD cruises seem even more odd...over 1/3 of my cruises have been on her. Enchantment is number 2 of course.[/quote]
You've got us beat by one to date. Our count will increase to 15 when we disembark on November 18 and then to 18 by the end of May 2012.

But heck..........who's counting?:D

Loved, loved Captain Trym. Love, Love Captain Claus. We know Captain Sindre when he was Staff Captain but have not cruised with him as Captain, but would most probably love him also.

Like Juan Diego.............but absolutely adore Reyno!!

Clunis is one of the best Hotel Directors in the fleet.

Love Trivia.......any type of trivia.

No bathrobes in the CL/DL..........pulllllleeeeeease!!:p Wearing a robe up to Deck 13 could be hazardous............what happens if the belt gets caught in the elevator doors?!:eek:

And the outside elevators............it will be interesting to see if they have increased their speed. With both lounges on Deck 13, I wonder what time one will have to leave if they have main/second seating?

[QUOTE=Oscar_the_Grouch's_Sis;29439417]I will have 1104 - my 1st aft :D Looking forward to your pics

BTW, I have always wanted to ask ... what are you doing in your pic? It looks so interesting, but it is too small to see. For the longest time I thought maybe you were holding little monkeys LOL!!! :o[/QUOTE]

Those are the Olympic Mittens from our Vancouver Winter Olympics last Feb. :)Will have to find a better photo soon. There is a white Maple Leaf on each palm. Those mittens were $10 a pair and sold out constantly. Part of the money went to the athletes training program.

We are on deck 8 this time but love those aft cabins now. Wears off the pounds too, we hope, with the longer walk!

[quote name='cruisenfever']You've got us beat by one to date. Our count will increase to 15 when we disembark on November 18 and then to 18 by the end of May 2012.

Loved, loved Captain Trym. Love, Love Captain Claus. We know Captain Sindre when he was Staff Captain but have not cruised with him as Captain, but would most probably love him also.

No bathrobes in the CL/DL..........pulllllleeeeeease!!:p Wearing a robe up to Deck 13 could be hazardous............[COLOR="Red"]what happens if the belt gets caught in the elevator doors?![/COLOR]:eek:

And the outside elevators............it will be interesting to see if they have increased their speed. With both lounges on Deck 13, I wonder what time one will have to leave if they have main/second seating?[/QUOTE]

Lesson learned? LOL ;)

Gina

[quote name='cruisenfever']You've got us beat by one to date. Our count will increase to 15 when we disembark on November 18 and then to 18 by the end of May 2012.

No bathrobes in the CL/DL..........pulllllleeeeeease!!:p Wearing a robe up to Deck 13 could be hazardous............[COLOR=Red]what happens if the belt gets caught in the elevator doors?![/COLOR]:eek:

And the outside elevators............it will be interesting to see if they have increased their speed. With both lounges on Deck 13, I wonder what time one will have to leave if they have main/second seating?[/quote]

OMG...pass the screen cleaner, I just spat my drink all over the computer!!

Archived