Help! Looking for nice/affordable?? hotel in Paris, London, Barcelona Suggestions?

My husband and 14 mo. old daughter will be traveling on the Gem in the W. Med. this October. Trying to decide how to split our time, depending on hotel avail. and prices. Paris is so exspensive! Doesn't help that Fashion week and Rugby World Cup are in Oct.

Any advise you could give on hotels or what general area would be good/safe to stay in for Paris, London, or Barcelona would be appreciated! We will be spending about 2-3 days in each city.

Thank you!!!

DD

I suggest you look at the Kensington area of London. Nice, safe area & hotels in that area tend to be a little less pricey. I stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel & enjoyed it very much. It gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, but I had a very good experience there. It is just across the street from a tube station. There are also lots of other hotels in that area.

As for Paris, I suggest the Boulevard Haussman/Opera Gardnier area. It's a safe area & has several metro stops. However most hotels there are expensive & I can't recommend any specific hotel. Can't remember the name of the hotel where we stayed, but, although clean, the room we had was the size of a broom closet & the toilet wouldn't flush properly. I really think you're going to have to spend a considerable amount of money there to ensure that you get a decent place to stay. The Ambassador Hotel looked like it would be really nice.

No suggestions for Barcelona as I've never stayed there.

Good luck on your search.

Last September we stayed at the Aspis Atrium Hotel in Barcelona - the hotel was in a great location and if memory serves me right, the price was not overly exorbitant. We were able to walk to all the sights - the rooms were large and very modern - the hotel is adjacent to a school so it is very quiet from late afternoon on. . . there is a coffee shop and restaurant but with all the fabulous tapas restaurant - I can't comment on the food.

We enjoyed our time in Barcelona.....

Hope this gives you some help.

Here is a link that will show hotels in each city re price and location with a amp of areas.I am including Trip Advisor as well as it may be of help.Hotels in Paris do tend to be small..just an FYI so if you want more room you may want to ask for a family room.In londo you amy want to check out the Marriott County Hall. Do a search on this board as well as there is a lot of inof on hotels in London.London can be VERY $$$ as well re the pound vs the dollar.

Hotel reservations - Venere.com

Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvi

Three weeks ago I stayed at The Bonnington Hotel (92 Southampton Row) in the Bloomsbury district of London. I booked through British Airways Holidays and it only cost 65 pounds per night. It is a really nice 4 star hotel that has been completely refurbished in the past year or so. The price included a full breakfast each morning. The hotel was located about 1 block from the British Museum and was situated between Russell Square and Holburn tube stations (easy walk to either).

We have booked in to the the hotel section of the Paris hospital next door to Notre Dame. It is called Hotel Dieu Hospital and the rooms for 2 cost 110 euro per night.You can add 1 more person for 11Euro. They have their own website and are very helpful by email. We are a family of 4 and prefer to be in one room. However, could not solve this for Paris. The hotel has assurred me of the hotel safety with security on the door and so we have taken 2 rooms next to each other. Have a look at their website. We saw this hotel on one of our television travel shows.

We stayed at Thistle Victoria in 2004 and found it to be a very pleasant and reasonably priced hotel in a great location - right at Victoria Bus and Train station. I hope this helps.

Jennie

We stayed at the Luna and Simone in Victoria London, about 4 blocks from Victoria Station. It cost 80 GBP per night, including breakfast, free internet, and a very, very nice budget hotel. Very impressive for the cost. Check tripadvisor.com for the reviews, including mine!!

P.S. Go to the User CP on the upper left of this board, select Edit Options, then mid-page select Instant Email Notification for subscribed threads. At the top of each thread you want to keep track of, there is a "thread tools", and you can select "subscribe". Then you get emails whenever there is a post to the thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi:

Crusing on the Navigator of the Sea on Aug 11 for 14 days.

Just booked 6 days for 3 people on Aug 25, 2007 at the Holidays Inn Kensington Forum thru Hotwire.com GREAT deal, only US$200, plus 17% for tax. Just click the 3 1/2 star choice and compare the members rating to the tripadvisor site and you can pretty much figure out which hotel it is they are offering. I am just so happy with the booking because it's even $20 lbs cheaper than the Luna & Simone, which really is a B&B without airconditioning. Remember you must prepay everything before they'll tell you which hotel it is in the neighbourhood you want, and I had it narrowed down to Kensington or Marble Arch or Mayfair. Actually the Mayfair (run by Radisson) has a pretty good deal $200lbs fon their site for a suite, 5 star establishment and all that, close to the palace. Good Luck, Stampede

1988 S.S Azure Sea

1998 Norweigen Wind'

2000 Carnival Inspiration

2004 Princess Royal Princess (Fairwell world cruise)

2005 Holland America Zueiderdam

2006 Hallnad American Oosterdam

2007 Norweigen Pride of Aloha

Hi:

Crusing on the Navigator of the Sea on Aug 11 for 14 days.

Just booked 6 days for 3 people on Aug 25, 2007 at the Holidays Inn Kensington Forum thru Hotwire.com GREAT deal, only US$200, plus 17% for tax. Just click the 3 1/2 star choice and compare the members rating to the tripadvisor site and you can pretty much figure out which hotel it is they are offering. I am just so happy with the booking because it's even $20 lbs cheaper than the Luna & Simone, which really is a B&B without airconditioning. Remember you must prepay everything before they'll tell you which hotel it is in the neighbourhood you want, and I had it narrowed down to Kensington or Marble Arch or Mayfair. Actually the Mayfair (run by Radisson) has a pretty good deal $200lbs fon their site for a suite, 5 star establishment and all that, close to the palace. Good Luck, Stampede

1988 S.S Azure Sea

1998 Norweigen Wind'

2000 Carnival Inspiration

2004 Princess Royal Princess (Fairwell world cruise)

2005 Holland America Zueiderdam

2006 Hallnad American Oosterdam

2007 Norweigen Pride of Aloha

Agree about the a/c, and I wouldn't recommend the L&S during hot months because of that. I don't agree that the L&S is just a B&B though, because I found them to have all the amenities of a regular hotel, just scaled down: internet, breakfast, transporation arrangements, daily maid service, etc.

That's a great deal you got on Hotwire. Good for you!! Have a great trip, too!

We're just back from a couple of days jaunt in Barcelona. We stayed in the Hotel Nuovel which is in a lovely side street right off the Ramblas - at the top end (Gothic quarter) a couple of hundred yards from Placa Catalunya. I think the street's name was Santa Ana.

The hotel was very reasonably priced and included breakfast and the rooms are large, exceptionally clean and recently refurbished. The hotel is lovely being in the Gothic quarter. It's a very old building full of character and retains many of the original features. It's in a perfect position for exploring Barcelona. Here's their website: Hotel Nuovel We didn't book through the hotel, we did it through an internet search (hotel.com or expedia.com can't remember now!).

Hope this helps!

Archived