PARANOID w/out a PASSPORT- help!

sgorich

It is my first cruise ever on july 7th! Not only am I excited.. I am scared and nervous. We don't have passports (or an application). We will have to show photo ID and Birth Cert. But I am so scared that maybe I was lied to and I really do need a passport?

We are going to Cayman Islands, Ocho Rios, Cozumel. Will all 3 of those places let me off the Ship with out a passport??

You don't need passports yet. But you do need to prove who you are- that is, you need to prove your citizenship and your identity to even get onto the cruise ship. Once your'e onboard, you'll use the ship's "Pass" (keycard, whatever your line calls it) to get on and off the ship at ports. This usually runs very smoothly, although many lines suggest you take an ID with you just in case there's a question. All three of those ports are very tourist oriented- you'll have a great time!

You will need an original birth certificate (not a photocopy) that has a raised seal or stamp on it- although I think there are a few states that don't put anything "raised" on their BC's. Also, this BC has to be "computer generated" as opposed to the original BC that I received at birth (OK, I'm old- but just in case you're my age, your original state BC with a raised seal, etc would have been handwritten because computers hadn't been invented yet). Hope I didn't confuse anyone. So your BC proves your nationality/citizenship.

Now you also need to prove your identity- this is where the picture ID comes into play. Obviously the name on the picture ID has to have the same name as the BC (more or less- don't worry about middle names) plus it has to have your picture and signature and be government-issued. Your driver's license is ideal for this. If you've changed your name (like through marriage), you should bring an original document to explain the name change (like your marriage cert). Some people say that they haven't needed this because the cruise lines know some women change their names. But they have the right to deny boarding to you if they request it and you don't have it. Will you be asked for it? Who knows?

As long as you have these original docs, you won't have any problem. The cruise ships really want you to board, so their procedures are designed to get you onboard, rather than trying to keep you off. But they have to follow whatever government regulations are in effect on the day you board the ship.

Now- relax and enjoy anticipating a wonderful cruise! (Have you found a Roll Call for that cruise?)

I agree with Jersey Gem except for one point. If you are a woman, they don't expect for your last name to be the same as your BC. Don't fret about this issue.

Stop worrying. If you have the certified BC and a state issued ID (ex. Driver's License), you are good to go!

Just be sure that your documents have the same name as your ID.

Have a great cruise!

When we checked in for our recent cruise on the Pride, we mentioned in passing to the desk clerk that DH's passport nearly didn't make it in time. She replied "Oh, you don't even need a passport, you can cruise on just your birth certificate."

Also you are not asked for ANY ID, passport, birth certificate or anything when getting off the ships in foreign ports. You just need it for returning to the U.S. (and getting ON the ship in the U.S.). Don't worry, you were given correct information.:)

I took a cruise in Jan. 2005 and I was asked for my marriage certificate along with my BC and Drivers license. Luckily I had brought it with me and I will continue to bring it just in case. I think that it depends on the person checking you in because several ladies with us weren't ask for theirs.

There have been many recent threads regarding cruising without a passport. Technically, you do not need one to return by sea from the ports in Mexico, Carib, Bermuda. You do, however, need one to fly back to the U.S. So, if you have an emergency that requires your repatriation, you will experience difficulties and delays. And, if you miss your ship in any of the ports and need to fly on to catch up with the vessel ... you may not be able to do so without a passport.

I am not trying to be the prophet of doom ... but it may be a tad unfair to tell you "no worries" because the potential is out there.

Thank you for all the reassurance! I was born in 81' and my mom has my birth cert- i have to get it from her. I dont know if it is 'computerized' or not from that far back! Yikes now I have to find that out!

Also you are not asked for ANY ID, passport, birth certificate or anything when getting off the ships in foreign ports. You just need it for returning to the U.S. (and getting ON the ship in the U.S.). Don't worry, you were given correct information.:)

There were a couple of ports in the Caribbean where we were required to show picture ID with our sign and sail card to get back to the ship - drivers license was an acceptable ID for this. This happened at ports where the ship docking area was fenced off from the rest of the island and had guards posted by the entrance to the dock. They really looked at the drivers license and sign and sail card to see that the names matched and the picture on the license was you.

No problem- your BC will be computer-generated. My response was for those of us who are really old! LOL! (Before computers, VCR's, DVD's, IPods, etc- but yes, we did have TV- black and white and three channels). But I would get your BC asap from your Mom just to verify that it's an original. If it's a photocopy (and you can't find an original), you'll need to order one asap- one site is:

Click here: vital records - Place an order with VitalChek

Have a great cruise!

No problem- your BC will be computer-generated. My response was for those of us who are really old! LOL! (Before computers, VCR's, DVD's, IPods, etc- but yes, we did have TV- black and white and three channels). But I would get your BC asap from your Mom just to verify that it's an original. If it's a photocopy (and you can't find an original), you'll need to order one asap- one site is:

Click here: vital records - Place an order with VitalChek

Have a great cruise!

I was born in 1984, and my passport is hand written in. Do I need to order a new one that is computerized? It has the raised seal and is notarized. Oh wow now I'm all worried. I have plenty of time (August) to get one, but I don't want to have to pay for something I already have if I don't have to.

I was born in 1984, and my passport is hand written in. Do I need to order a new one that is computerized? It has the raised seal and is notarized. Oh wow now I'm all worried. I have plenty of time (August) to get one, but I don't want to have to pay for something I already have if I don't have to.

Assuming you meant your BC (not passport) is hand-written ... if it was government issued (by whatever entity in your state) and is notarized with an official stamp or raised seal, I would think you are fine. Newer BC's may be computerized (I can't vouch for that), but "computerized" is not a requirement for valid BC. I'm sure there are many people older than you (including me) whose BC was issued before everything in the world, it seems, went computer.

I have NO idea what the computer generated stuff is all about. My b.c. was received in '87 (we lost the first certified copy my mom got after I was born in 1969), and it's typed out and simply copied by the gov't notary, and certified with the raised seal.

Now, DH's Washington state b.c. (1972) is apparently computer-generated, and has a multicolored swirly stamp seal, unlike my CA raised seal. Both are equally valid. Each state, sometimes each county, has there own b.certs, and sometimes they will change how they make them with time!

As for your '81 b.cert, if your mom is easy to get it from that's fine. Otherwise, just contact the Vital Records office in the county of your birth, and order another certified copy (certified copy is the SAME THING as "original"), or you can use a website called vitalchek (ordering through them costs more for me vs contacting the county of my birth, but there are some vital records offices that just refer you right back to vitalchek!) to order another. Either way, if it's a certified copy (not the pretty hospital certificate that some people get), it's a certified copy!

Also, from what I've read, they have to make sure the whole ship is cleared by customs for the ports, even if no one gets off the ship. So they won't let you on if you can't be cleared by the country. So if they let you on, you're fine. :)

My BC is 23 yrs old and has been through alot. The raised seal is there, and you can feel it, but from the front just looking at it you can't tell that its there unless you run your fingers over it, or turn it over and see it raised in the back. We had to order a copy of my boyfriends and his has a pretty colored seal in the bottom corner. His does come from a different state then mine, but do you think I should order one anyways, or as long as they can feel it will it be fine?

The reason you can't see it from the front is because the seal is on top of the notary stamp. I'm sorry for all the questions, I am super stressed out from planning the cruise (I'm an overplanner). I promise I'm trying to calm down, its just all a little overwhelming for since it's my first cruise, and my boyfriend said he doesn't care what we do or how its done, just tell him what day we're leaving put him in the car and put him on the ship. I have a feeling this is how it will be with our wedding as well :rolleyes:

My BC is 23 yrs old and has been through alot. The raised seal is there, and you can feel it, but from the front just looking at it you can't tell that its there unless you run your fingers over it, or turn it over and see it raised in the back. We had to order a copy of my boyfriends and his has a pretty colored seal in the bottom corner. His does come from a different state then mine, but do you think I should order one anyways, or as long as they can feel it will it be fine?

The reason you can't see it from the front is because the seal is on top of the notary stamp. I'm sorry for all the questions, I am super stressed out from planning the cruise (I'm an overplanner). I promise I'm trying to calm down, its just all a little overwhelming for since it's my first cruise, and my boyfriend said he doesn't care what we do or how its done, just tell him what day we're leaving put him in the car and put him on the ship. I have a feeling this is how it will be with our wedding as well :rolleyes:

Your BC should be fine as long as it's readable. If you want a "pretty" new one, go for it :) . Your BF sounds a lot like my DH! I say, "Do you want to cruise in October?" He says, "Sure, tell me the dates." Then he's out of the loop until we leave the house! About two weeks before our last cruise someone asked him what ship we would be on. He didn't have any idea :D .

Everyone should remember that the name on your BC (unless you're married, of course), and the name on your DL should match the name on your booking.

Well now I'm having a panic attack too. Until I read this thread I had no idea I might need a marriage certificate. I have been divorced for years and haven't a clue where it is, but I kept my married name, so the name on my BC doesn't match my drivers license. I sent a request to vital statistics for a certified copy, but the soonest I can get a copy is 20-30 business days. We leave in 32 business days. Now I'm really freaking out. :(

Well now I'm having a panic attack too. Until I read this thread I had no idea I might need a marriage certificate. I have been divorced for years and haven't a clue where it is, but I kept my married name, so the name on my BC doesn't match my drivers license. I sent a request to vital statistics for a certified copy, but the soonest I can get a copy is 20-30 business days. We leave in 32 business days. Now I'm really freaking out. :(

If you're looking at the Vitalchek website, trying going to your states web page and looking at their vital records. In TN they say 2-3 weeks I believe it was, and we got my boyfriends in less then 2 weeks. Also, if you live in the same state as your place of birth they usually have a records office of sorts were you can go down and request any records that you have had in that state. I forget what the place is called, but they even have copies of your W-2s. Or if you live in the state capital of the state of your birth you can go to the actual building were they are held.

If you're looking at the Vitalchek website, trying going to your states web page and looking at their vital records. In TN they say 2-3 weeks I believe it was, and we got my boyfriends in less then 2 weeks. Also, if you live in the same state as your place of birth they usually have a records office of sorts were you can go down and request any records that you have had in that state. I forget what the place is called, but they even have copies of your W-2s. Or if you live in the state capital of the state of your birth you can go to the actual building were they are held.

My state's time frame was the same as Vital check. They said 4-6 weeks. I requested the license on vital check and will also send a personal request by mail requesting expedited processing. On the SF website it says they can expedite if you can show proof of a travel.

Do NOT panic :eek: ! They realize that the last name on your BC and the last name on your DL will be different if you're married (you don't have to tell them you're divorced). I have heard of a few cases where the marriage certificate was asked for, but I've never heard of anyone denied boarding because they didn't have theirs.

Just be sure the name on your DL and the name on your booking is the same.

Thank you, Plant for calming my nerves a bit. My first name, middle name, and DOB are exactly the same on my drivers license and BC, the only difference is the last name. My boarding pass and my DL have identical names. I'll try to stop hyperventilating now.:o

Thank you for all the reassurance! I was born in 81' and my mom has my birth cert- i have to get it from her. I dont know if it is 'computerized' or not from that far back! Yikes now I have to find that out!

Just make sure it is issued by a governmental agency - not the "footsie" certificate given by hospitals as a souvenir...

LL

I just about had a heart attack when I opened this thread! My family of 4 is set to go on our first cruise in a little over two weeks. My husband and 2 teenage daughters already had BC, but I did not. I ordered one through our state's online site, and received it in about 2 weeks. What is this about the BC having to be "computer generated"? The one I just received is not - it is the "original" (copy - handwritten that has the raised state seal on back). My husbands is also handwritten, but has the raised notory seal. Are you telling me that I can't use these BC? We were both born in the 60's - WAY before there were computers! Thanks you all of your help. I love this board! :)

gagal: as long as the BC was issued by the state or county where you were born and also has an official state or county seal, raised or otherwise, you are in good shape. Do not believe the "it must be computerized" comments, as they are not accurate.

Just make sure its an original birth cert not a copy. That was the only problem a few folks had.

This is not quite accurate. You have to have a certified copy of your original birth certificate, not a photo copy. No one has their original BC, it is kept at the office of Vital Records in the county where you were born. It has to have a seal, not necessarily a raised seal, every state is different.

The BC's you really have to worry about are the hospital issued ones, some people think those are valid.

Also, one more point, for cruises to the Caribbean, Mexico (most islands, not all) you don't need the ID to enter, you need this ID to re-enter the US. If you are allowed onto the ship, you will be able to get off on each island. If a passport is required to get off on any port stop, you will be required to show it before you board your ship.

Just a fine point...I read quite often where people ask the question of the cruiseline and it is not up to the cruiseline (or your TA) what ID you have to have. They check because they want to make sure they can disembark you when they return to the US. The ID requirement is solely up to Immigration.

Archived