Conde Nast Traveler Article--Constellation

kitty9

He is a link to part of the article. http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/traveltips/detail?articleId=10886

I love this quote from the article:

"On Celebrity's website, I unearthed what's not included in the cruise fare-air transportation, transfers, specialty restaurant fees, some beverages, photographs, gratuities, medical services......"

"Unearthed"? Give me a break. Like she thought airfare, gratuities, photographs, etc. were included and she had to go on an expedition to find out they were not.

He is another:

"....I now estimate that a typical family of four would spend $7,291 on such a cruise, 54% more than the base fare."

"Typical"? Give me another break.

In the end, if she is writing this for an audience of novice cruisers, while the basic facts are right, she has done them a disservice through her exaggerations.

I read the article, and must agree with most of those posting here - I did not agree with Wendy Perrin. I also emailed the editor and let them know that if Wendy had checked out cruise critic before cruising, she might have had a different take on the article.....

I am fairly young and in relatively good physical condition, but I hate having to bend and pick stuff off of the floor from under the door just to toss it...

When did Celebrity go to putting flyers under the door? Our last Celebrity cruise was a year ago and as on all our previous Celebrity cruises,all the flyers would be in our daily which was on our bed at night. And there were only one or two extra pieces of paper (ads) in each daily.

The only thing that was every put under the door was the printout of final onboard charges which was done sometime during the wee hours of the morning on disembarkation day.

The dailys seemed to be a little more aggressive on our last cruise occasionally. On board shops, spa and art stuff all showed up at about the same time. No worse than local newspaper ;).

As far as the specialty restaraunt wine pairing it was quite a deal. You get a different wine with each course. Try doing that by the glass at the dining room and figure out what you would spend. There was a restricted menu which is reasonable since they can't pair everything with everything so to speak. Recommendation here is see if you can live with the restricted menu or if there is something on the more open menus (if I remember there was a 5 course and 7 course but can't be sure) that you really want go that way. Or dine in the speciality restaurant twice ;).

What we've found to be the most annoying are ALL those stupid inserts for their rediculous art auctions. I'm so sick of getting things from them almost every day. The waste of paper alone for all their advertising, boarders on the stupid. Another is all the stuff for their jewelry. You can get better prices on the islands but they still inundate you every day with their ads stuffed in the daily. I don't so much mind the little cards you get with the spa stuff, but thos ParK West things get on my nerves.

He is a link to part of the article. http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/traveltips/detail?articleId=10886

I love this quote from the article:

"On Celebrity's website, I unearthed what's not included in the cruise fare-air transportation, transfers, specialty restaurant fees, some beverages, photographs, gratuities, medical services......"

"Unearthed"? Give me a break. Like she thought airfare, gratuities, photographs, etc. were included and she had to go on an expedition to find out they were not.

He is another:

"....I now estimate that a typical family of four would spend $7,291 on such a cruise, 54% more than the base fare."

"Typical"? Give me another break.

In the end, if she is writing this for an audience of novice cruisers, while the basic facts are right, she has done them a disservice through her exaggerations.

Quite frankly, I have never put much stock in what Wendy Perrin writes. Why she is perceived to be an expert on travel is beyond me. One of the reasons I let my subscription to Conde Nast Traveler lapse, there never seems to be much substance there. She can't even get her facts straight on something that is very easy to check.

Just say no. How hard is that?

Archived