Cruise w/ boss or not??

Lulachick

My boss and I have a GREAT relationship. The spouses get along great also. He has heard me rave about my experience with Carnival Victory so now we are carefully broaching the subject of his family going with us on our next cruise. He is a MD and can never truly get away from his pts. and I told him that on a cruise the only way they can get to him is to book the cruise with him and I am not telling. Has anyone ever done this? I know it sounds crazy but we have been togather for 5 yrs and he has seen me at my worst ( after surgery) and at my most evil.;)

My boss and I have a GREAT relationship. The spouses get along great also. He has heard me rave about my experience with Carnival Victory so now we are carefully broaching the subject of his family going with us on our next cruise. He is a MD and can never truly get away from his pts. and I told him that on a cruise the only way they can get to him is to book the cruise with him and I am not telling. Has anyone ever done this? I know it sounds crazy but we have been togather for 5 yrs and he has seen me at my worst ( after surgery) and at my most evil.;)

Do you go out together on land? If you guys are friends outside of work, I say go for it... when you spend a vacation with co-workers, sometimes it can get weird... just know that, but it sounds like you guys get together anyway, so it shouldn't be too bad... good luck.

That's funny!! My DH is a dentist..we get calls at all hours of the night for "tooth emergencies". yeah right...anyway, one of the main reasons we cruise is because it's the only place we can truly get away from the phones:) I say that if you get along well with your boss, go for it.

I did think of one complication..what about your other co-workers? Would there be hard feelings or jealousy because you are going with the boss and they aren't? That's the only issue that I could see coming up in our practice.

I personally wouldn't do it. My boss always asks to cruise with us, and I tell him "no way", he's part of the reason I need to get away, lol.

I just think business should be business and vacation should be just a vacation. I have worked in positions where the two mixed and truthfully, it doesn't always end well.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster ... Fraternization of any type with coworkers, as innocent as it may appear to be on the surface, can originate all kinds of negative feelings and bad morale with others in the office. Continue to "get along" on land and don't take it to sea ...

I did think of one complication..what about your other co-workers? Would there be hard feelings or jealousy because you are going with the boss and they aren't? That's the only issue that I could see coming up in our practice.

Good call there. If there are other office staff working in the practice, it's probably not a good idea at all. If it's a two-person operation, that's another matter.

I would try somehow to make sure that you are on the same wavelength on how much time you will spend together.

With my "big" kids, we do shore excursions and meet back up for dinner each night.

Other than that I see them when I see them.

I wouldn't cruise with any of my previous bosses; I would definitely keep work and vacation separate. Then you can never be sure that "what happens on a fun ship stays on a fun ship."

I now have my own business. I would never travel with anyone who works for me or any clients.

I cruise to get away from all of this!!!

Sounds like you have a great relationshp with your boss. If that's the case I don't think it would be a problem. We do alot of traveling together at our company. All of us here and our suppliers and their families. Never once had a problem. It does help when you have alot in common....

Could be why I don't have many ex bosses LOL. We get along great. Yep I'm one of those who do like their jobs:)

Good Luck!

Only if I can leave him there! I would never do a cruise vacation with anyone that I had not done at least a 3 day land vacation with. You can learn a whole lot about someone in 3 days - maybe more then you want to know too! :eek:

Traveling with someone is not the same as working with them. I've traveled with several co-workers...some on land....many on cruises. Truth is...you learn A LOT about someone when you travel with them. Everyone always says we're easy to travel with so they like to go with us. Some of them I would travel with again....some I won't.

I really want to get away from all my bosses (I have 9). See why I cruise?

I was very good friends with my previous boss, and we would do things outside of the office, butwould I ever take a cruise with her. No Way. Don't get me wrong she is a great person, but on my vacations I am getting away from the office and everyone in it.

I can also say that becasue we were so close, there were others in the office that felt like I got special treatment because of the friendship.

I would keep it like it is and help your boss plan for their cruise.

My boss and I have a GREAT relationship. The spouses get along great also. He has heard me rave about my experience with Carnival Victory so now we are carefully broaching the subject of his family going with us on our next cruise.

I sense some hesitation on your part (maybe I'm reading more into this....). If you have to carefully broach the subject are you hesitant because you have reservations about doing it?

I have a great relationship with my boss and his wife but I don't want to vacation with them! :D

I guess it would depend on your relationship with your boss. Now, most of my bosses and I went to high school together, or have known each other since shortly after graduating. So, we've been friends and worked together for more than 30 years. Traveling together is no problem for us.

We have hung out togather after work w/ our kids w/out the spouses at Carolina Hurricanes hockey games. We work for a large Medical Center, large practice. This would not be the first time we have taken the same week off for vacation, so no one would think anything about us being gone at the same time. We are the only ones in our particular "office". Each MD has his own asst. Of course there would be ground rules i.e. no shop talk, do your own thing, etc. This is just in the "What if" stage right now.

Archived