Newbie Question

My wife and I are going on our first cruise (Navigator Athens to Monte Carlo) on Aug 4. We're celebrating our 20th anniversary. We're not the type to "stick with" the group concerning on shore activities. :cool:

Is independent exploring a good idea?

Do we need to go through a customs process at every port?

Thanks for any input.

As for Customs, no you don't, unless you're entering a non-EU country, and then it's a fairly painless thing (Kusadasi, for example.)

As for independent exploring, it depends how energetic and resourceful you are (remember, it will be hot.) Lots of folks here hire private guides, and lots of people over in the Europe, Mediterranean forum have advice for going it on your own. It means reading lots of guidebooks, taking lots of advice and notes.

Hi

My husband and I are kind or "on our own" types. We will be going on our 4th cruise ever Aug. 18th. What we generally do is look at what organized tours are offered thur the ship, see if we can do them on our own [generally you can, and much cheaper at that] and go for it!

We don't travel just to see museums and churches. We like to get into the local mix and chat with people, etc., so we kind of like to do a combination of what is offered by the ship and brousing on our own.

Also, in each port someone from the tourist information office comes on board and speaks to whomever wants or needs their help. They usually have maps and information on most everything of interest in the area.

Good luck

Marsha

Archived