The Boatyard and Crane Beach

LMShep51

We will be visiting Barbados for a day in July. We would like to go the The Boatyard for the morning. Would we have time to go to Crane beach in the afternoon and get back to port at 4pm? How is the best way to get to Crane Beach?

Probably best to go to Crane first as it’s further away and hit the BY in the afternoon.

Cab to Crane for perhaps US$25-35 each way (four in the cab inclusive) or bus there for US$.75/ each.

Cab transit time is perhaps 35-45minutes, or less. Bussing is about 1hr 10 minutes each way, or less.

The BY is only 10-15 minutes from the dock, so even if you get there at 3pm, you won’t fret about missing the boat.

Excellent choices for a day in Barbados.

Enjoy! :)

• 2 weeks later...
How can I get more info on taking the bus? Also, what else is there to do at the Crane? A place to have lunch there?

There's lots to do, but most do nothing but enjoy.

Crane Resort has a wonderful lunch at two different restaurants, plus the lunch will allow you access through their establishment to the beach.

Catch the bus at the Alice Street terminal (a 15-20 min walk from the dock, ask at the Gatehouse how to get there). Budget an hour each way, but it only costs US$.75/pp.

The Crane should be considered a full-day outing.

You will never forget it. Promise! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Barbados,

Where is the Fairchild St terminal from where the ship docks? Can I then get my US dollars exchanged for my $1.50 BDS fare? Where will I take the bus to? When I look on the barbdos bus website, it doesn't have Crane Beach or the Crane Hotel listed as one of the stops.

Thanks

Vega

Barbados,

Where is the Fairchild St terminal from where the ship docks? Can I then get my US dollars exchanged for my $1.50 BDS fare? Where will I take the bus to? When I look on the barbdos bus website, it doesn't have Crane Beach or the Crane Hotel listed as one of the stops.

Thanks

Vega

You won't find Crane Beach, we just call it Crane,

Don't bother changing your money, just offer a US$1 and they'll give you back a barbados copper.

Here is a thread that will answer all your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=258251&highlight=crane+beach

(oh, I just checked and it looks like the transport board has drastlcly shortened the 11 route, so you should probably take the 12A instead.)

Please ask if you have more questions. That's what I'm here for. :)

Have fun! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Barbados,

Thanks for the info! I think we can do this now. Is the Fairchild Street terminal just on Fairchild Street? Still wanting to figure out how to get to the terminal. What about taking a bus back to the Boatyard. What bus would I take then?

Thanks in advance! Tami

Barbados,

Thanks for the info! I think we can do this now. Is the Fairchild Street terminal just on Fairchild Street? Still wanting to figure out how to get to the terminal. What about taking a bus back to the Boatyard. What bus would I take then?

Thanks in advance! Tami

Yes, the Fairchild Street bus station is, in fact, on Fairchild Street.

Here's how to get there from the dock:

Exit through the Gatehouse (you will have to exit here from the pier) and follow Princess Alice Hwy to the right (toward Pelican Village).

Continue past Pelican toward National Heroes Square and turn right on Bridge St (one block past National Heroes Square) and walk over the bridge.

The next street that you come to after the end of the bridge is Fairchild.

You'll see the terminal on your left.

If you return to the Fairchild terminal after your visit to Crane, you're real close to the Boatyard. I'm guessing a 20 minute walk or a US$5 taxi ride. If you decide to spend a longer visit at Crane, just taxi back and have him drop you at The Boatyard. Cabs are waiting there to return you to the ship for US$3/ea (I think) and a 5-10 minute zippy ride.

I know there are still questions in your mind, but it will become quite clear and easy once you're there. Plus, I've never met a Barbadian that wasn't happy to help a visitor.

We want you to be happy and un-stressed!

Enjoy! :)

If you return to the Fairchild terminal after your visit to Crane,

you're real close to the Boatyard.

I'm guessing a 20 minute walk or a US$5 taxi ride.

Maaan, you like you over en away too long now, yuh...

You fuhgettin tings!

20 mins.? tuh walk frum de bus-stan to Boatyard?

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to post to say thank you again to Barbados who helped me get to Crane Beach. We did hire a taxi for 6 people for $80 roundtrip (down from $120 when I told them we would just take the bus). When we arrived at Crane Beach he let us off on the side where you walk down vs going through the hotel. NOBODY ELSE THERE. The beach all to ourselves. Paradise!!!! What an awesome decision we made. We then walked over to the Crane & had an appetizer & drinks atop the Crane Hotel & took pictures of the pink beach. It was everything I was hoping for & more. Your pictures were dead on!!!!! Thank you. Thank you.

Vegabay

You're most welcome!

You'd be one of the first not to have liked it!

It is about as close to paradise as one can get, yes?

.....The only problem is it's real difficult to leave!

Glad you had a great time and please come back again soon. :)

-b-

Archived