Passenger Missing on Freedom of the Seas

advocado

The ship docked Wednesday in Puerto Rico so that FBI experts could determine whether foul play was involved, Rodriguez said. He declined to say whether agents retrieved any evidence from Smith's cabin or other areas.

Copper - thanks for re-printing this. In reading all of the other articles, the FBI was mentioned, but not WHY. I couldn't figure out why a man-overboard would require their services, but now it makes sense to me. Gracias.

Although I'm guessing it was the FBI because the ship was between 2 US ports? Had Freedom been heading to a foreign port, would the local police there have investigated?

[Originally Posted by Tinknock50

I am not a lawyer....and never played one on TV....QUOTE]

But did you stay in a Holiday Inn express last night?

(Or better yet, on one of the 'Dam ships? )

Sue

Thank God this only happens rarely, but it still has to be devastating to the families. People will do stupid things when they're drunk, but you certainly won't get the cruise lines to stop serving an inebriated customer. It has to be one of their biggest money-making venues on board.

The only time it really bothers us, is when we see drunken teenagers. This was especially bad on a Christmas cruise on the RCL Empress, a family-oriented cruise. We worried more about other people's children on that cruise than their parents did.

Copper - thanks for re-printing this. In reading all of the other articles, the FBI was mentioned, but not WHY. I couldn't figure out why a man-overboard would require their services, but now it makes sense to me. Gracias.

Although I'm guessing it was the FBI because the ship was between 2 US ports? Had Freedom been heading to a foreign port, would the local police there have investigated?

The FBI will open an investigation if the incident involves a U.S. citizen. If an incident such as this occurs at sea, the local law enforcement agency at the next port of call will also investigate.

People will do stupid things when they're drunk, but you certainly won't get the cruise lines to stop serving an inebriated customer. It has to be one of their biggest money-making venues on board.

Actually, drinking in cabin is far more likely to create more problems than being over served, for the obvious reason, it's a cheap drunk and most young people do not have the money for endless bar drinks. The " how to smuggle booze onboard" theme is persistent on all CC boards, some more so than others. It's a serious problem for some cruise lines and it goes beyond loss revenue.

Actually, drinking in cabin is far more likely to create more problems than being over served, for the obvious reason, it's a cheap drunk and most young people do not have the money for endless bar drinks. The " how to smuggle booze onboard" theme is persistent on all CC boards, some more so than others. It's a serious problem for some cruise lines and it goes beyond loss revenue.

Hammy - THANK YOU for pointing this out.

The 20-somethings who went overboard on Carnival during springbreak (both retrieved alive from the water) had been drinking in the cabin. I seem to remember that the stories we read about teenagers drinking onboard are usually drinking in the cabins as well. My guess - raiding their parents' liquor supply. I'm specifically recalling an Irish girl who went overboard on a Costa ship a year or 2 ago. She wasn't so lucky.

So, please folks, stop heaping blame on the bartenders.

No one has mentioned that in addition to drinking, these young people might have been using drugs.

Drinking, drugs, whatever ... boils down to cause of death: terminal stupidity or terminal carelessness.

Archived