Is taking a helicopter ride and landing on a glacier that special?

Happyladi

I signed up in Juneau to take a helicopter ride that lands on the glacier. There are 4 of us so this is over $1,000. I don't mind spending the money if it is really worth it, but now I read that I can take a bus right up to the glacier and see it. We might not be able to walk on it, but we would be close, though I am not sure how close. Perhaps someone can tell me.

So, is it really that wonderful and exciting to walk on a glacier or is it almost as good just to be close?

We have all taken helicopter rides before and enjoyed them, but they aren't THAT special.

I need some insight, please!

I took the helicopter to Mendenhall and absolutely loved it! The helicopter flies over the glaciers before landing...you really get to see quite a bit during the ride...I just don't think a bus trip would be the same. I would jump to do it again!!!!!

I signed up in Juneau to take a helicopter ride that lands on the glacier. There are 4 of us so this is over $1,000. I don't mind spending the money if it is really worth it, but now I read that I can take a bus right up to the glacier and see it. We might not be able to walk on it, but we would be close, though I am not sure how close. Perhaps someone can tell me.

So, is it really that wonderful and exciting to walk on a glacier or is it almost as good just to be close?

We have all taken helicopter rides before and enjoyed them, but they aren't THAT special.

I need some insight, please!

We took a helicopter trip in May and it was by far the best excursion we did. Landing on the glacier was nothing like we expected. The view and experience can't even be described. The ravines and blue ice are beautiful and the flight is a blast. We saw all kinds of sights on the glacier that you'd miss looking from a distance. If you book a tour independantly you should be able to take all four people for about $800.

We took a helicopter trip in May and it was by far the best excursion we did. Landing on the glacier was nothing like we expected. The view and experience can't even be described. The ravines and blue ice are beautiful and the flight is a blast. If you book a tour independantly you should be able to take all four people for about $800.

Really? Can you suggest who to book with?

Really? Can you suggest who to book with?

I can suggest the one we used, Temsco (the only one authorized to land at Mendenhal), but I've also read great reviews of Coastal which was my second choice (landing on others glaciers), which I believe is a little bit cheaper (maybe $20 less pp)

Here are their web sites:

www.temscoair.com

www.coastalhelicopters.com

When my father got back from an AK cruise, all he talked about was that glacier helo landing - and thus I knew it was something we MUST do. We're going with Coastal from the great reviews they've gotten here.

There is absolutely no comparism with landing and walking on a glacier, to viewing it from the face. If you want an excellent scenic flightseeing this is a top choice.

Mendenhall glacier helicopter landings are no better/worse than any other glacier in the Juneau icefield. All will offer a spectacular experinece.

I have gone with Coastal the most, they should be your cheapest option. I've also gone with TEMSCO twice, definately good too. :)

We are booked on this through HAL - does anyone know what helicopter company they use? Thanks in advance. bernie's mom

ERA, unless it has "Mendenhall" in the description, then it's TEMSCO.

The one time I went with ERA, and that was a few years ago and before the big numbers of people visiting today- they were more shuttle like, compared to my trips with TEMSCO and Coastal.

Before we did the glacier landing excursion with Coastal, we had seen many glaciers. Yet we were not prepared for the magical experience of actually landing on one. It was an experience that cannot be described by words. My parents, both seniors, got so excited that were jumping around like little kids.

We had been on other helicopter flgihts before so the flying part was not as exciting. It was nice and the views were great, but the glacier landing was the highlight, for us.

DH and I just got back from our Alaska Cruisetour. The only thing that I really really wanted was (of course the most expensive), but figured we were entitled to it - once.

We did the combination Helicopter ride, glacier landing an dog sled Tour in Juneau thru RCCL. The helicopter ride took us over 4 glaciers, landed on one and then we did the dog sled. The whole experience was SOOO WORTH every single penny or dollar we spent on it. You cannot look at another Mt or Glacier in the same way again after flying over them in a helicopter. Then to land on one and to me spend 45 - 50 min riding all over the glacier on a real Alaska Dog Sled. By far, my best vacation ever.

I have pictures if your interested, just let me know.

If a picture is worth 1,000 words here's an essay for you! Took ERA in Juneau, 4 Glacier w/ Landing, and really loved it! I can honestly say I didn't get how incredible it was until AFTER the trip and I was looking at my pictures and realized "I walked on a glacier!!:eek:" You can go to my gallery if you like to see them in larger formats.

160028823-S.jpg.127a56a45ab4db30f9f19d57b9ae25bf.jpg

160029044-S.jpg.17598364b502a8fe24d4b0a17e8853a2.jpg

160188361-S.jpg.b7df56f0355dcae856e908b20048aed3.jpg

DH and I just got back from our Alaska Cruisetour. The only thing that I really really wanted was (of course the most expensive), but figured we were entitled to it - once.

We did the combination Helicopter ride, glacier landing an dog sled Tour in Juneau thru RCCL. The helicopter ride took us over 4 glaciers, landed on one and then we did the dog sled. The whole experience was SOOO WORTH every single penny or dollar we spent on it. You cannot look at another Mt or Glacier in the same way again after flying over them in a helicopter. Then to land on one and to me spend 45 - 50 min riding all over the glacier on a real Alaska Dog Sled. By far, my best vacation ever.

I have pictures if your interested, just let me know.

If it wouldn't be too much hassle can you send me the link to your pictures.

kluau88@yahoo.com

TIA.

We are booked on this through HAL - does anyone know what helicopter company they use? Thanks in advance. bernie's mom

We took HAL's Mendenhall Glacier Landing Excusrion through TEMSCO two years ago. All I can say is AWESOME!!!!!

Here is another case of different strokes for different folks. I was perfectly happy viewing the glaciers from the cruise ship. After seeing the calving and hearing the cracking, creaking, booming of the ice, there is no way I wanted to walk on the glacier.

The same as I didn't walk on the lava in Hawaii. Everyone was saying you could feel the heat through your shoes. It was no longer moving, and it had cooled, but it was still a risk I wasn't willing to take.

Or ride the rapids of the Colorado River in a raft. Eke!

But then I don't do adventurous activities. Even the ride in the helicopter wouldn't be fore me. I want something safe and sane. But I wouldn't pay the $$$ they want to do it either.

So you have to be the one to decide if the helicopter ride and walking on the glacier is worth $1000 to YOU! I'd rather put that $1000 toward another cruise or trip.

Went with Temsco last May. Was the highlight of our cruise. It was the first time that I rode on a helicopter so that in itself was exciting. If I ever do it again I would bring a small paper cup stuffed in my jacket pocket so that I could drink more of the pure glacier water that was flowing near our landing site. I even bought the DVD that was being sold at the Temsco office and I plan to watch it after I get off the computer.

Wow, thanks everyone! I booked thru Princess and it was $265.00 each. This is not their most expensive glacier walk, I could spend more. After reading more here I contacted Temsco for what I believe is the same ride and walk. It was $219.00 thru them.

Does anyone know if Temsco will sell directly to me if they find out I booked first through the cruise? I wasn't planning on telling them, but I wonder how they feel about this.

Just returned home a few hours ago from our Alaska cruise. On Thursday, we did the Pilot's Choice helicopter tour with TEMSCO in Juneau. The ride was absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! I highly recommend choosing the Pilot's Choice tour over the regular Mendanhall Glacier tour. We had a beautiful sunny morning and our pilot first landed us on the "Hole in the Wall" glacier where there is an "ice fall" (think waterfall, but ice). We landed IN FRONT of the ice fall. When he said he was going to land, we thought he was kidding - because the surface looked like it was just a bunch of crevices in the ice. But, there was actually enough room to land the helicopter. LOL

th_IMG_1413.jpg

th_IMG_1429.jpg

We then flew over a portion of the Juneau ice field and it felt like we were on top of the world!

th_IMG_1455.jpg

Then our pilot landed on a cliff that was approximately 2,000 feet above and overlooking Mendenhall Glacier. We could see all the way down to the Valley.

th_IMG_1465.jpg

I asked our pilot what was different from the tour that we took and the Mendenhall tour. He said with the Mendenhall heli tour - you were flown up the glacier, landed on it and walked around for about 20-25 minutes, then flew back down following the glacier to the end. We saw MUCH MORE than that!!! The extra $$$ for the Pilot's Choice is well worth the price!

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. We are headed to Alaska on the Infinity August 12th and I've yet to book any shore excursions but am so excited. Your photos and comments are so helpful.

Even though it's pricey, my temptation is to book a few memorable excursions (like helicopter on a glacier, float plane to Misty Fjords, visit to a dog sled camp) and then do more modest activities in other ports.

I'd like to book independently and wonder when I need to do this? There are 3 of us so I assume they'll combine us with others. Can I just book day of when we leave the ship? Is it hectic in port? All I can think of are the craft-hawkers on the beach in Jamaica!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Just returned home a few hours ago from our Alaska cruise. On Thursday, we did the Pilot's Choice helicopter tour with TEMSCO in Juneau. The ride was absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! I highly recommend choosing the Pilot's Choice tour over the regular Mendanhall Glacier tour.

I asked our pilot what was different from the tour that we took and the Mendenhall tour. He said with the Mendenhall heli tour - you were flown up the glacier, landed on it and walked around for about 20-25 minutes, then flew back down following the glacier to the end. We saw MUCH MORE than that!!! The extra $$$ for the Pilot's Choice is well worth the price!

What is the price of this tour? I looked at their site but couldn't see a price. It does sound great.

Archived