Amtrak from PHL to Manhattan Cruise Term

Quench

Can anyone tell me how reliable Amtrak is? I will be leaving Philly in August for a cruise. Need to know if I should arrive the day before to avoid electrical outages etc. Thanks.

wow! now that's an inquiry. wish i could tell you from experience. is there anyone out there that does the regular M to F commute from PHL to NYC. there's gotta be someone out there that does.

Amtrak is pretty reliable between PHL & NYP. The occassional power outage is impossible to predict, so don't even worry about it. The only thing to keep in mind about travel on the weekends is that they do track work often during these times which can cause some delay, but it's typically not too much.

We often do ths East Coast run and twice in the last six years have had huge delays. Last month some yahoo threw a rock which shattered the windshield of the engine and we were held up for almost two hours for a replacement engine. We have also had more minor delays, the longest was about 6 hours though. Not fun if you are going to sail! Better safe than sorry.

B.

We often do ths East Coast run and twice in the last six years have had huge delays. Last month some yahoo threw a rock which shattered the windshield of the engine and we were held up for almost two hours for a replacement engine. We have also had more minor delays' date=' the longest was about 6 hours though. Not fun if you are going to sail! Better safe than sorry.

B.[/quote']

i agree with going the day before. i wouldn't chance the day of sailing (driving, flying...what have you...)

i have never hopped on amtrak. and once in a while i'll see stuff on tv...i guess i'm gonna look up if there are statistics out there on reliability of their service.

just like any other mode of transportation...surely the aforementioned event cannot be typical...rocks, engine failure...etc.

The issues with the northeast corridor are few in relation to the number of trains operated and the number of passengers carried. Where Amtrak runs into issues is on the freight railroads. Amtrak owns the northeast corridor and the freight and commuter authorities are tenants.

For best reliability, I would catch an early Acela train at PHL (30th St.) As example: #2250 Acela Express departs PHL 10:37, arrives NYP 11:48, business class seat, $129.00

Doc

For best reliability, I would catch an early Acela train at PHL (30th St.) As example: #2250 Acela Express departs PHL 10:37, arrives NYP 11:48, business class seat, $129.00

Doc

holy moly! now THAT'S fast! pretty much a bullet train of sorts, eh?

What about NJTransit?

i'm too lazy to research...but i think you have to take SEPTA in PHL to trenton? then i think you can pick up one of the NJ Transit lines.

i've only been communting on NJ Transit for 8mths...but even if i were a long time commuter...the specific rail line that i use and where i start isn't that much of a ride. so i don't have the experience to say for sure about reliability. but in the 8mths...i have no problems. occassionaly a train will be late...and just this week one of the trains broke down during peak time.

holy moly! now THAT'S fast! pretty much a bullet train of sorts, eh?

Yes, the Acela trains are high tech and, now that the teething problems are over, very reliable. The fare quoted in my last post is a high fare. Lower fares are available, but more advance booking is required.

Doc:D

Yes, the Acela trains are high tech and, now that the teething problems are over, very reliable. The fare quoted in my last post is a high fare. Lower fares are available, but more advance booking is required.

Doc:D

and you can drink on the trains! (at least i do on the commute home!)

I can't speak for Philly but we use Amtrak from Boston and will for the 5th time this September. We have never (knock on wood) had a delay either coming or going. 4 hour train ride to Penn Station, 12 minute taxi ride to pier and 2 hour wait to get on the ship. Then 8 glorious days of cruising. I can't wait.

You can definately do the SEPTA/NJ Transit combo if you're looking to save money, I believe it's something like $15 per person one-way. Trains are basically every hour and no reservations are needed.

The only caveats about this (and I've done this several times):

- give yourself extra time in case you miss the connection at Trenton. This happens often enough that it should be budgeted for. The good thing is that if you miss the connection it's only 45-60 minutes until the next connection, but something that should be budgeted for none-the-less so there are no surprises. Typically the NJ Transit trains are the more reliable in terms of adhering to schedule, but you never know so just adding this in so there are no surprises in case you're trying a tight connection.

- on both the NJ Transit & SEPTA trains there are no luggage racks besides the small above seat racks that are basically good for duffel bags & roll-aboards only. These trains can fill up (even on weekends) so it might be inconvenient if you are schlepping large pieces of luggage.

If you want to find a happy medium, you might consider one of the regional/local trains on Amtrak (everything but the Acela & MetroLiners). These will be priced somewhere inbetween an Acela ticket and a NJ Transit/SEPTA ticket. These trains take a bit longer due to more stops, but between PHL and NYP there aren't many stops (Trenton, Metropark, New Brunswick, & Newark are the only stops I believe). While Acela is nice and I've riden it many time between NYP and Washington, if traveling on my own dime I'd go for the regional train. Same big seat, just a few minute longer trip.

Overall though taking the train is a much more certain thing that flying in terms of delays and cancellations. Plus if something happens to the train, you can always get off, grab a taxi, and head to the closest bus depot to hop on the myriad of bus lines that operate between NYC and Philly.

I'm from Philly and going to be on the Victory on 9/3. I live in center city and plan to take Greyhound from 11th and Filbert. It's only $20.00 roundtrip and they will put luggage on the bottom of the bus. With Amtrak, you have to schlep your luggage on the train which can be a problem if it's crowded and that can be even more of a hassle if you take SEPTA and get off in Trenton and switch to NJT.

I'm from Philly and going to be on the Victory on 9/3. I live in center city and plan to take Greyhound from 11th and Filbert. It's only $20.00 roundtrip and they will put luggage on the bottom of the bus. With Amtrak, you have to schlep your luggage on the train which can be a problem if it's crowded and that can be even more of a hassle if you take SEPTA and get off in Trenton and switch to NJT.

Deb, how far is the pier from where Greyhound drops you off? Thanks.

Deb, how far is the pier from where Greyhound drops you off? Thanks.

Quench - only about 2 miles (about a $10.00 cab ride). You have to buy your Greyhound tickets online to get the special $20.00 round trip rate. Otherwise, the cost is $40.00 round trip. Also, be sure to select a bus that only stops in Mt. Laurel and then is an express to NYC (or when returning goes from NYC to Mt. Laurel and then Philly). There are enough of them, so there's no problem. I'm getting a 9:00 bus which will arrive in NYC at 11:10.

Quench - only about 2 miles (about a $10.00 cab ride). You have to buy your Greyhound tickets online to get the special $20.00 round trip rate. Otherwise, the cost is $40.00 round trip. Also, be sure to select a bus that only stops in Mt. Laurel and then is an express to NYC (or when returning goes from NYC to Mt. Laurel and then Philly). There are enough of them, so there's no problem. I'm getting a 9:00 bus which will arrive in NYC at 11:10.

Thanks for the info Deb!

• 4 weeks later...
We have used the Greyhound bus to New York from Phila. twice for a cruise...Worked out very well...As a previous poster has said you don't have to handle your baggage as much as you might on a train.

I was that poster and I'm glad to hear it worked out well. One question. I already purchased my tickets and realize that the one for the return trip is too early. Do you know if I can exchange it? I've tried calling Greyhound and they just put me on hold. Thanks.

I was that poster and I'm glad to hear it worked out well. One question. I already purchased my tickets and realize that the one for the return trip is too early. Do you know if I can exchange it? I've tried calling Greyhound and they just put me on hold. Thanks.

Do you have a E-ticket?...We used our tickets earlier than the time on the ticket and there was no problem...I don't know about using them later...Check with Greyhound if you can you use the tickets on any bus regardless of time...If you actually have to exchange them there may be a charge.

Do you have a E-ticket?...We used our tickets earlier than the time on the ticket and there was no problem...I don't know about using them later...Check with Greyhound if you can you use the tickets on any bus regardless of time...If you actually have to exchange them there may be a charge.

Yes, I have an e-ticket. I can't get thru to Greyhound. Oh, well, even if I have to pay a charge, it's worth it. I'm not going to worry about it. I don't know what I was thinking when I purchased a ticket for 9:00 a.m. when I return. Another question, was the bus really packed or did you have some room? Thanks.

We have done the trip twice...Going over to New York the bus was nearly filled but there was no problem getting a desireable seat...Coming back last October there was quite a long line waiting in N.Y...By the time they reached us the bus was full...They got a second bus in about 10-15 minutes and there was plenty of room in that bus.

I am also going to use the greyhound from philadelphia to NY, but I am going to the brooklyn cruise terminal, so I am going to take philadelphia to port autority in NY and then Brooklyn. Its a 3 hour trip and only 1.9 mile to the brooklyn cruise terminal.

:) :) :) :)

Archived