I guess all the ships will sail empty!

TEXASMUNK

Reading various boards about the change in pricing policy by RCL and Carnival, the "sky is falling" crowd seems to be predicting that they will never sail a particular cruise line again, all ships will sail empty and all travel agents will immediately close their doors.

What was the name of that James Bond Movie..something about Never Say Never???????

Just get this funny feeling that the market is dictate the final outcome.

They will never sail empty 'cause when they hit Happy Hour, I am sooo there!!! :)

It's like a lot of stuff they bring out, they throw it out there and see how it flies. If it hits them in the face as it spins off the fan blades we'll see yet another new policy. If it sits there like a rotting watermelon and no one says anything, just pays up, then likely, it's here to stay.

It keeps us young!

BALONEEEY...... :p why argue & fret about all that discount stuff now,,,,

tait gonna do any GOOD......:rolleyes: buncha waisted energy...

i will just keep on CRUISIN,,, even if I have to go all by my LONESOME,,,, in a rowboat,,,, with bucket of chicken & a keg of beer,, out in the middle of NOWhere.......................... :eek: ..................

I certainly can't see ships sailing empty. My biggest thing is that the TA's are predicting a 15% increase in fares and if that happens, I can see myself choosing a land vacation over a cruise more often. Can't imagine never cruising again, but unless the lines keep their fares competitively priced, I'll cruise less often is all.

Hilary,

We tried one of those "land" vacations and guess what? The hotels, restraunts, cabbies, tours and shopping locals didn't "discount" one thing. Can you believe it? Sounds more like the cruiselines are just catching up with the rest of the tourism dependent locals.

on the "land" vacation. Even with six nights of Priceline-procured rooms plus two nights at a friend's house, our recent non-cruise vacation ran up a tab rivaling our cruises -- and that's WITHOUT unlimited gourmet food, etc. The only meal we had that came close in quality to something we'd enjoy on board was lunch at the Brown Palace Ship Tavern in Denver. Lunch and dessert for three, plus one martini for my husband (who said it was CLOSE TO the onboard martinis, not QUITE there) ... way past a hundred bucks. Add up the real-world cost of the meals, snacks, lodging, and transportation included in the basic cruise fare ... even if this thing sticks, I think it may still be a bargain. (Re: transportation, I mean the cost of getting from port to port to port. Our "land" vacation involved flying from home to City 1, from City 1 to City 2, then from City 2 to home ... four digits.)

waiting to see if the sky will fall,

TR

Millennium 12/12/04

Mercury 4/04, Infinity 8/03, Century 3/03 & 9/02

Our Sunday paper had an ariticle about "the no dsicounting" that has been the topic of threads. I quote "customers who call TA's will be required to ask if there is a discount fare"...not that there won't be discounted fares...we will just have to ask... :confused:

I agree that land vacations can be more expensive if you compare apples and apples, down to the gourmet meals, but I don't need to travel that way so don't compare it that way. I can spend 2 weeks in Hawaii for what a Hawaii cruise will cost me, and can go to Mexico for 2 weeks for less than 7 days in the Caribbean...and this is staying in premium hotels/timeshares. I have options through my time-share that make land vacations much cheaper than through places like Orbitz and Travelocity, often including air prices.

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out, but I do believe that many people will be looking at alternatives to cruising if the prices go up considerably. I hope that with this new policy, RCI will see that they need to offer better promotions and deals and will keep their customers happy.

I can spend 2 weeks in Hawaii for what a Hawaii cruise will cost me, and can go to Mexico for 2 weeks for less than 7 days in the Caribbean...and this is staying in premium hotels/timeshares. I have options through my time-share that make land vacations much cheaper than through places like Orbitz and Travelocity, often including air prices.

That is completely true... we spent two weeks last year at a gorgeous All Inclusive on the Mexican Riviera in an Ocean View room on the top floor for $3,000 CDN That's about $2,200 us 14 nights... 6 speciality restaurants as well as all the buffets and as much to drink everyday as you want. We went to check out and our bill was about $50. Loved it. It was the most relaxing holiday we've ever done.

My wife and I are just beginning to go on cruise vacations, which we are really looking forward to. We have tried in the past, but business always seemed to get in the way. For us, the issue of discounts is important and I would expect the travel industry to find ways around the new policies.

If they do not and if this is a first step to increasing the fares then we will return to other forms of travel. Obviously $800 to $2000 increases in cruises (for two people) will not financially bother many cruisers, but it will bother us from the viewpoint of competitive opportunities.

We own several timeshares and, now that we can travel, use them for extended stays in many areas. With timeshares, even with increasing maintenance fees, we can stay in world class resorts and do very well from a cost comparison point of view. I am sure there are many others on these boards who also own timeshares, purchased at resale, who have other ways to travel as well.

I do not plan to give up on cruises because of this one policy, because it is an exciting way to travel. But there are limits beyond which we will not go and it seems to me that cruise lines need to keep their new found popularity in perspective.

Archived