Gift ideas for steward

On one cruise our steward was coming down the hall as we were getting ready to leave the ship. I asked him if there was anything I could get for him while we were in port. He just smiled and said, No, thank you. I replied, I'm going to bring something back for you, so it might as well be something you want. He smiled really big and said CHOCOLATE! I brought back M&Ms, Snickers, etc. He was one happy camper! :D

Bring him or her some food from the Windjammer or order up a nice meal from room service. The usual fare in the crew mess is chicken and rice, and we've always found that our cabin steward enjoys a change of pace.

From my GF (worked for RCCL for 4 years) She would consider that a slap in the face, even though she would act appreciative.

From my GF (worked for RCCL for 4 years) She would consider that a slap in the face, even though she would act appreciative.

Sorry to hear that. She would be in the minority of the crew that I've encountered. I'm not talking about food in lieu of a tip, BTW.

So, IN ADDITION to the gratuity I'd like to give them some kind of small gift. Now it would need to be durable, somewhat small or easy to pack, not fragile, unisex, etc. Boy, the only thing I can come up with is a sweatshirt from the local university, high school, etc.

Does this seem tacky? Any other ideas out there?

thanks,

dug

Lets do the math. Assume that everyone wanted to be really nice to them and thought as you do so they gave them a sweatshirt, They have an 8 month sign on period (I believe that this is correct) and they do 10 cabins (have no idea if this is correct but it is probably a low number) and the average cruise length is 7 days.

At the end of their 8 month stint, they would have 342 sweatshirts. What in the world are they going to do with 342 sweatshirts? Where are they going to put them? How do they get them home?

Be practical - CASH, CASH, CASH.

DON

cruise182 - on thinking the food a slap in the face, I could see that especially if it seemed like "leftovers"

ditto re the poster who mentioned the comment cards - let your service staff know you've given them a great recommendation and that should make them VERY happy. :)

cruise182 - on thinking the food a slap in the face, I could see that especially if it seemed like "leftovers"

Leftovers?? Who said anything about leftovers?? I ask my cabin steward what he or she would like for breakfast/lunch/dinner and that's what I get. Sometimes it's an omelet, sometimes it's a steak, sometimes it's sushi. Sometimes it's "no thanks, I just ate." I honestly don't understand how that can be considered a slap in the face.

sorry Jean - I was really addressing what I thought might be his GF's perception rather than what you were giving to your stewards. Natch if your service staff requests an item and you bring it to them that's a very different scenario. Sounds like we're all trying to show our appreciation in the best possible way :)

Here is another little extra you can consider leaving: The crew generally receives a cheaper internet rate than passengers, but still have to pay for use. If you buy one of the internet use cards from a port that the ship stops at to use the internet at the internet cafe on land and do not use up all your minutes, you can pass that card onto your steward (obviously if you only have a few minutes on the card, it might be prudent to just throw it out, but if you have at least 15 minutes or so, it is a useful item that saves them money).

Critterchick,

Sorry if I offended. I was just relaying what I have been told. The crew prefers cold cash over anything. I own my own business. I prefer my customers pay me in dollars, not gifts. I have several customers who do in fact give me gifts on different occasions. As a good business person will do, I always thanked and acted enthused over their gifts. I appreciate the thought and would not insult the giver, but really they are only adding to my junk drawer, Salvation Army donation box and even the trash.

I am not saying that the crew you have given food did not appreciate it, just stating that I wouldn't want it and either does my friend.

Leftovers?? Who said anything about leftovers?? I ask my cabin steward what he or she would like for breakfast/lunch/dinner and that's what I get. Sometimes it's an omelet, sometimes it's a steak, sometimes it's sushi. Sometimes it's "no thanks, I just ate." I honestly don't understand how that can be considered a slap in the face.

I was just wondering if you could explain to me how you go about doing this. I've never cruised before so I don't know how things work. Is there a number to call your steward when you got the food? Did you just keep it until you saw him/her? I'm really not trying to start anything, just genuinely curious as to how you went about this. Thanks.

I just read a great suggestion on the Carnival Boards in a similar thread and wanted to pass it along.

At some point during your cruise take the time to write a nice note to the Hotel Director or Maitre'd (Head Waiter?) telling them about the great service you are receiving from your waiters/steward mentioning them by name. You can leave it at the Purser's desk for them.

I thought that was an interesting way to express your thanks and let their supervisors know that they are doing a good job. The act of taking time to write and deliver a note should be appreciated. (Don't forget to fill them out though.)

I just read a great suggestion on the Carnival Boards in a similar thread and wanted to pass it along.

At some point during your cruise take the time to write a nice note to the Hotel Director or Maitre'd (Head Waiter?) telling them about the great service you are receiving from your waiters/steward mentioning them by name. You can leave it at the Purser's desk for them.

I thought that was an interesting way to express your thanks and let their supervisors know that they are doing a good job. The act of taking time to write and deliver a note should be appreciated. (Don't forget to fill them out though.)

That is a good idea but I would never leave the info with Guest Relations. I wait until I arrive back home and send an email through Crown and Anchor. I do this every cruise and give them the names of each crew members name. I always get a response back thanking me. I do know that RCI follows up as I have had one of the crew members thank me on the next cruise. The notes of praise gets the crew members more time off. Sometimes even an extra day off.

That is a good idea but I would never leave the info with Guest Relations. I wait until I arrive back home and send an email through Crown and Anchor. I do this every cruise and give them the names of each crew members name. I always get a response back thanking me. I do know that RCI follows up as I have had one of the crew members thank me on the next cruise. The notes of praise gets the crew members more time off. Sometimes even an extra day off.

can you please tell me how to do this. also, to whom do you address your email?

I was just wondering if you could explain to me how you go about doing this. I've never cruised before so I don't know how things work. Is there a number to call your steward when you got the food? Did you just keep it until you saw him/her? I'm really not trying to start anything, just genuinely curious as to how you went about this. Thanks.

At certain meal times is when the stewards are servicing the rooms. If that's the case, then just look up and down the hall for the cleaning cart. If they are not around, your phone should have a number to page your steward.

can you please tell me how to do this. also, to whom do you address your email?

I just send it to this email adress:

RCI Crown and Anchor

E-mail Address(es):

crownandanchor@rccl.com

I give them my name, sail date, ship and then the names of the crew members that went out of their way to make my cruise an enjoyable experience. I give examples.

I just send it to this email adress:

RCI Crown and Anchor

E-mail Address(es):

crownandanchor@rccl.com

I give them my name, sail date, ship and then the names of the crew members that went out of their way to make my cruise an enjoyable experience. I give examples.

Thank you! I plan to give it a try. I have met a few RC employees who went 'above and beyond' for us and would like to do more than just comment on the card (and, of course, say "thanks" and tip well where applicable!!). (had a couple of duds, too, but would rather focus on the positive ;))

I take $2 bills and leave them daily, along with a piece of wrapped chocolate like Russell Stovers or a snack size bar, and a note thanking him for some service--like keeping my six-pack cooler full of ice, getting me wine glasses, a cork screw--whatever. If nothing else for "keeping our cabin so nice." If you are cruising following a holiday, you can get the individually wrapped Russell Stover's for half price or less the day after the holiday. They don't seem to mind a pumpkin cream something the first week of November (lol). We also have $2 with us at meals which we distribute to the waiter/bus boy if we think they deserve it. Actually, it comes out about the same as if we tipped $20 or so extra at the end of the cruise which we always did unless the service was really bad (only once in 20 plus cruises). With Freestyle/Anytime/whatever dining, it is nice to personally tip out a waiter/busboy since you probably won't be seeing them again. Of course, we leave the automatic tip in place.

Tucker in Texas (thinking maybe the new $1 coins might be worth a try)

I agree about the cash, cash, cash. But I've also gotten some ideas I'd never considered but will for future cruises. In addition to cash I like the idea of a little goody bag of local non perishable foods or candies, etc. that could even be shared with their crew mates. It wouldn't weigh much or take up much luggage space but would be yet another way of showing appreciation.

Last fall I gave my room steward a small tin of Moravian molasses cookies that are made in Winston-Salem, NC where I used to live. The tin weighed 10 oz., and the cookies are paper thin and a tradition among the Moravians. That's the sort of thing that I think is just an additional, nice gesture.

I read somewhere here on this thread that the staff does not receive their tips for a few weeks after the cruise? Then how do these poor souls know that we did not stiff them, unless you leave more? Any ideas?

I have prepaid my tips, and of course, we always give another tip to the steward at the end, but - a few weeks after they get the money I paid over 6 months ago??

Can someone set the record straight? Is this correct?

Archived