Which area to reduce seasickness?

Hi!

Mom and I are going on an Alaska cruise this September, but we booked late and the only affordable cabins are in the front or the back of the ship (Serenade of the Seas). We can have either all the way forward m,7026, on deck seven or all the way back, 7068, (not facing aft, looking to the side). Which would give the least motion and reduce the liklihood of seasickness? We both are very prone to motion sickness, especially Mom.

Thanks,

Dorie

Gross generalization of course, but in heavy pitching seas, there is less up/down motion aft than there is forward. Due to placement & weight of machinery, the fulcrum is not exactly midship, but aft of midship. Far forward you run the risk of bow-slap!

In rolling seas, the motion is reduced the lower you are in the hull.

Gross generalization of course, but in heavy pitching seas, there is less up/down motion aft than there is forward. Due to placement & weight of machinery, the fulcrum is not exactly midship, but aft of midship. Far forward you run the risk of bow-slap!

I think you're wrong. If that were true the aft end would sit lower than the forward end in the sea. Makes no diffrence which end. There will still be motion regardless.

Take one fruit flavored pill each day & you will never know you're at sea other than looking at it as your body will not be of a pain to you. So enjoy dinners, deserts & anything else eatable, as you re on one of the best of the fleet.

The lower floor level you are on, the least rocky.

In terms of front/back/middle, mid-ship is best to reduce sea-sickness but if only options are front and back, back (aft) is better.

Take one fruit flavored pill each day & you will never know you're at sea other than looking at it as your body will not be of a pain to you. So enjoy dinners, deserts & anything else eatable, as you re on one of the best of the fleet.

Which Pill are you talking about... i'm curious now! :-) We went on Explorer in March and the boat was exceptionally rocky... nothing like my first cruise on Voyager where I only felt it slightly rock ONE time when i way laying perfectly still. We ended up buying the wrist bands and everything, even when you got off at the port you felt like you were still rocking!! After a few days we got used to it, but it never was really pleasant.

I hear some people use the patches behind their ear. Do these work?

Which Pill are you talking about... i'm curious now! :-)

It was in her subject line--Bonine.

I can vouch for it. I've been subject to motion sickness since I was a child--it's worst in planes, cars and buses, not as bad on trains or boats (helps if I can get up and walk around), but I have been sick on different types of boats before.

Bonine worked like a charm. I took one before bedtime starting the night before the cruise, and didn't feel sick at all. Felt a little weird the first night at dinner but didn't get nauseated, and was fine after that (in part because I was riding backwards that night and seated near the window--changed places after that so I was sitting forward). Ship got a bit rocky on Friday night and all day Saturday, and never felt a twinge of sickness.

I brought ginger pills with me in case I did feel ill, but never had to use them.

Which Pill are you talking about... i'm curious now! :-) We went on Explorer in March and the boat was exceptionally rocky... nothing like my first cruise on Voyager where I only felt it slightly rock ONE time when i way laying perfectly still. We ended up buying the wrist bands and everything, even when you got off at the port you felt like you were still rocking!! After a few days we got used to it, but it never was really pleasant.

I hear some people use the patches behind their ear. Do these work?[/quote]

I've used the patch for all three cruises and was fine on the ship itself. Parasailing boat - that was a different story :( . The first time I used it I didn't have any side effects at all. Second time was awful - dry dry dry mouth and vision problems where I couldn't read anything unless I wasn't wearing glasses or contacts. The last time was much easier, slight dizziness the first day but none after. Dry mouth was very mild. Little to no vision problems but the difference there was I had Lasik done so no glasses or contacts anyway. I would use it again but I'm thinking of trying Bonine since so many people swear by it. The patch - if you want to use it, I suggest trying it a couple weeks before you go to see how your body reacts to it.

Most of your time will be sailing on the inside passage. Very little likelihood of roughness. When I did it......it was like being on a lake.

If someone is prone to seasickness, there is enough movement on the Alaska cruises to likely cause them to feel it. On my last Alaska cruises a couple of days the boat was rocking quite a bit. Strong winds can cause quite a bit of rocking on the boat even if the seas are fairly calm.

Hi!

Mom and I are going on an Alaska cruise this September, but we booked late and the only affordable cabins are in the front or the back of the ship (Serenade of the Seas). We can have either all the way forward m,7026, on deck seven or all the way back, 7068, (not facing aft, looking to the side). Which would give the least motion and reduce the liklihood of seasickness? We both are very prone to motion sickness, especially Mom.

Thanks,

Dorie

Hi Dorie,

I am also prone to motionsickness and have been told midships is best and lower rather than higher, but if not available, then aft rather than forward. Our TA advised a balcony cabin, or at least ocean view, where I could get fresh air and see the horizon line.

Now I have a 'tip' gleaned from an old sea dog! Take a 5-6" strip of medical adhesive tape (like you would use to tape on a piece of gauze) and tape it over your belly button! (I am sure people who are reading this are laughing, but it really worked for me!) Call it mind over matter, or whatever you like, I have tried it on the Atlantis Submarine (where boat was rocking and no horizon visible), and a very rocky trip on a small craft and it worked! On the Jewel of the Seas in March I wore the tape when the ship was moving or used the seabands at night and I was fine. The problem with some of the medication is the side effects (drowsiness), and not being able to have any alcohol if wearing the patch, I was advised.

It's a terrible feeling to suffer from motion sickness and I was really nervous about it before we took our first cruise last March, but I had no effects whatever.

Enjoy Alaska - we'll be right behind you in August!

Dot

OK, I guess that we will take the aft cabins! Thank you to everyone for your replies, we are a little nervous about getting sick.

However, we are really excited about finally seeing Alaska!!:)

Dorie

Hi

What date are you sailing on the Serenade of the Seas? I am leaving Sep 1st up to Alaska. I also booked late too. Actually just last week. I originally had an inside cabin towards the back on hold. On the way to the travel agent, she called to tell me that several cabins open up midship. She moved me there since I have a tendency to get sea sick.

I have cruised before and found that you tend to feel it more towards the back. I lost track how much dramanine I took on my last cruise up to Alaska when I had an outside cabin towards the back.

Jennifer

I think you have the cabin number 7068 wrong because that is midship, is it a typo and you meant 7168 or 7668?

I'd go for the aft cabin and tell the TA to move you more midship if there is a cancellation.

I prefer the higher deck, even with rocking. I'm prone to seasickness so I take precautions rather than "wait and see". We've stayed in the lower decks of ship before and I feel like we're in a dungeon down there. Plus, you are more reliant on elevators the lower you go. Deck 7 sounds perfect, to me, although, you might ask if anyone has stayed above these particular bars before, the may be a little noisy if they are discos.

I've been in forward cabins as well and I do think you will find more movement there. Although, you won't know until you're right in the middle of the cruise to know if there is any movement or not. We sailed a similar itinerary and you could hardly tell the ship was moving.

Head topside. Looking at the horizon for an hour or so should settle your equilibrium. You might think about some Dramamine. My days in the U.S. Navy tought me how to deal with seasickness. Enjoy! Bon Voyage :D

When up on deck, go back near the funnel. On some classes of RCI ships the AC vents out of the side of the funnel. Lot of cold air while still in the fresh air makes a great curative. I pulled a deck chair over and ended up napping.

Try a prescription pill called Scopace (www.scopace.com). Same meds as the patch with fewer side effects due to the control over dosing.

Archived