Help!Stupid Luggage Tag?

sgorich

OK, I got my 'e-docs' or whatever. The luggage tags that I have to print out-- they are in COLOR online-however I do not have access to a COLOR printer! Does this matter if they are NOT in color? Also- I will be just printing them off on normal paper-aren't they going to rip off!? And do I put them on AFTER I get off my plane?

Oh and one more stupid question. When I arrive at the ship and give them my luggage- how long does is usually take for them to get it to my room? Cuz I know i will be worrying that they lost it. :confused: :rolleyes:

Don't worry about the color. Just put them on there somewhere. The cruise line will figure it out. They know not everyone will print out in color. If you're retreiving your own luggage at the airport, I'd attach them once you arrive, before handing them over to the ship.

Pack some extra clothes in your carryon. I've had luggage arrive within 2 hrs or boarding and I've had luggage arrive at 10pm. Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. First day you won't do much but wander around and grab some dinner anyway. Unless you plan on swimming, you'll be fine in whatever you wear to the ship.

As a sidenote, cruise lines are amazing at finding lost luggage at the airports. Don't know how they do it, but they do. Of course you have to report it lost AT the airport.

The luggage tags you print are surprisingly strong when you fold it the way it tells you. You can bring along a small stapler,or Im sure you could borrow one at the airport or at the cruise terminal. I always put mine on before leaving home. If they come off,you can always get more at the pier. Dot

Do not worry about the luggage tags. When you get to the pier they can give you new luggage tags....just as long as you know your room number. The one thing you DO NOT want to do if you are flying is put them on before you leave home. People at the airlines are likely to tear them off, so you would still have to get them at the pier.

Mocorobabe

Can you print the luggage tags out on colored paper? I know some of the colors the cruiselines use are extreme, but you might be able to get close to it.

If you are super worried about them tearing, after you print them, cover them with clear shipping tape (after you've filled them out, of course). Punch a hole with a hole punch or even a sharp knife for the string.

Another vote for definitely not put your tags on until you are ready to head to the ship. Supposedly, thieves will target cruise luggage.

Have a great cruise!

Charlie

Just curious why a thief would target a person taking a cruise over someone not....

Ive read pros and cons over adding the tag before leaving home..I would definitely put the info inside my luggage...

Another opinion

I DID put a cruise luggage tag on my checked suitcase before flying to LA the day before my cruise, and the airline thanked me for doing it. I was told that if it had gotten delayed, they would have known to deliver it to the pier.

Additionally I typed up an itinerary, including the hotel I was staying at the night before the cruise, plus the cruise info, and placed it inside the suitcase on top of the clothes. It was a huge bag (for a 15 day cruise to Hawaii) and had 98% of my cruise clothes in it. I felt I needed to do whatever I could to ensure that it would get to the ship in time for the cruise.

*I DID put a cruise luggage tag on my checked suitcase before flying to LA the day before my cruise, and the airline thanked me for doing it. I was told that if it had gotten delayed, they would have known to deliver it to the pier.*

This too is why I do it...I have read many travel sites and this is one tip that most give...but to each his own :)

We too always put our ship tags on before the flight. On one of our flights, we needed to fly from MKE to Houston. Small regional jet. When we were ready to leave, an announcement was made that the plane was too heavy and they'd be asking for volunteers to get off and take the next flight. No one volunteered after several incentives. SO...they just said, we're going into the luggage hold and pull bags and some of you would not have your bags until later that evening. They promised to look at tags to see who had connecting flights. Well, a few minutes later, the bags were pulled and the cruisers on the plane were assured they'd have their bags, IF their bags were marked with cruise ship tags. Whew!!!

Saved us a worry!!!

You can always take the tags to be printed to a Kinkos and have them print them on stock paper in color if you are worried they"ll fall off. You can have them laminated too if you're super nervous. But yes, I'd put them on at home. The airline check in people are not going to take them off.

I'm using paper tags - reinforced with clear packing tape) for an upcoming flight that does not involve a cruise (at least not immediately after the flight ;) ), but I'm using the address of the place I will be going to on my tags - I don't want my lost luggage delivered back to Florida if I'm in another state! I also put the address of where I'm going inside my luggage.

We too always put our ship tags on before the flight. On one of our flights, we needed to fly from MKE to Houston. Small regional jet. When we were ready to leave, an announcement was made that the plane was too heavy and they'd be asking for volunteers to get off and take the next flight. No one volunteered after several incentives. SO...they just said, we're going into the luggage hold and pull bags and some of you would not have your bags until later that evening. They promised to look at tags to see who had connecting flights. Well, a few minutes later, the bags were pulled and the cruisers on the plane were assured they'd have their bags, IF their bags were marked with cruise ship tags. Whew!!!

Saved us a worry!!!

You can always take the tags to be printed to a Kinkos and have them print them on stock paper in color if you are worried they"ll fall off. You can have them laminated too if you're super nervous. But yes, I'd put them on at home. The airline check in people are not going to take them off.

Great story! ANOTHER reason why I will continue to put it on before leaving home! Im still wondering why thieves would target a cruise luggage before someone elses...maybe this is the very reason! LOL they know this luggage wont get bumped off the plane! :) Dot

I would just wait until I got to port and have the port agent give me luggage tags. It only takes a minute or so, much easier than printing them out, taping or laminating.

Of course, this may come under the heading of "what can I do with my time while waiting impatiently for my cruise" :)

I've read where extra tags on luggage only confuses baggage handlers and it is the main reason bags go missing. The handlers are not mind readers, so take off all but the flight destination tag. We print our our itinerary and put it under our luggage tag, plus one inside the bag.

Archived