How rough is the water?

CRUISING71

Hello,

Our first cruise experience was very miserable, but would like to try it again. Our first cruise was going from LAX to SFO on to Vancouver and Victoria in May. The water was so rough that the ship rock and everyone was very sick :eek: , including some season cruiser and crew members. They even close the dock, because it is so windy.

I would like to take my family to Mexico for 5 nights cruise from SD to Cabo. Is the water rough like going up North? Would the ship literally jump up and down going down to Mexico?

Thank you for all your advices. :)

Hello,

Our first cruise experience was very miserable, but would like to try it again. Our first cruise was going from LAX to SFO on to Vancouver and Victoria in May. The water was so rough that the ship rock and everyone was very sick :eek: , including some season cruiser and crew members. They even close the dock, because it is so windy.

I would like to take my family to Mexico for 5 nights cruise from SD to Cabo. Is the water rough like going up North? Would the ship literally jump up and down going down to Mexico?

Unfortunately, there is no way to determine wether the water will be calm or very rough when you book a cruise. Sometimes the water is just like glass with almost no waves. The very next week the same trip can be 30 - 40 foot waves. Wish, I could be more encouraging but there are many different ways to prevent seasickness or cures if you become ill from the ship rocking. I would look into those remidies and give it anotehr try.

I just didn't want to spoil our annual vacation, since we can only afford 1 vacation a year. We tried everything to prevent seasickness, taking medication, ginger, and wrist band. It was so rough, the kids couldn't even swim at all the whole cruise, because the water would literally splashes out of the pool due to the ship rocking.

Maybe cruising isnt for you then?? I hate to say it, but we do patches when its really bad and we dont get seasick much. I didnt like that they closed so much on the ship when the ocean got bad, I feel for you on that. Its happens though.

I just didn't want to spoil our annual vacation, since we can only afford 1 vacation a year. We tried everything to prevent seasickness, taking medication, ginger, and wrist band. It was so rough, the kids couldn't even swim at all the whole cruise, because the water would literally splashes out of the pool due to the ship rocking.

Take a land vacation with a little water on the side, lol.

I think if your willing to try another cuise after your 1st experience than maybe cruising is for you. Both my husband & I are very partial to motion sickness and were petrified that we would get sick. Turns out that we have been fine and have been very lucky with calm waters.

However, the roughest cruise we have been on is from the Pacific Coast down to the Mexican Riviera. You can't ever predict, but it seems that some routes are more prone to rough waters.

Our best strategy has been to leave from FL to the Caribbean (not during hurrican season). Stay mid ship, not too high up. I think that there is nothing nicer than a cruise on calm waters. Hope you give it another try and catch a break with the weather.:)

Have you thought about sailing from the Gulf Coast?

The last two years we have left from NO and from Galveston.

Usually the Gulf of Mexico is smooth.

We were out in the gulf when Katrina was coming in (last passengers to make it back to NO...next cruise left early and had to go disembark in Texas) and even then the gulf was much smoother than what you are describing.

Hello,

No, it should probably be pretty smooth sailing...like this.

:cool:

There was an authentic set of pictures floating around on the HAL boards before which shows a wave approaching, then hitting the bridge. Really neat pics. You see the wave in the distance, then closer, then there's green water on the bridge windows. It was Holland America's Rotterdam crossing the N. Atlantic.

We sailed down to the Mexican Riviera on HAL's Ryndam from San Diego. There's an area along the Baja that's often kind of rough, and easily enough to cause sea sickness. I cannot recall what the current is named (having a Sr. moment, but I'm not a senior yet...).

When we sailed to Hawaii from San Diego, we had 19 foot swells for about 2 1/2 days solid, then it was comfortable the rest of the way to Hawaii.

It's like they say about winning Lotto - You never know...

Ken

No, it should probably be pretty smooth sailing...like this.

:cool:

Very funny!

My cruise out of Galveston 10/15/06 was fairly rough - 10-12 foot seas. One of my friends got sick for a couple of days despite using Meclazine (strong dramamine), but she was OK when the ship got into the calmer waters of the Caribbean.

Archived