When Will Golden Get MUTS?

R&S

Hi!

We'll be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary on the Golden in December. We're very excited about this ship and the cruise. We do have one question though...

Is the Golden due to be upgraded with the Movies Under The Stars like her sister ship the grand? If so, does anyone know when?

Thanks for any information.

I don't think Princess has any plans to upgrade any of the older ships with MUTS. I know there were plans but apparently it isn't popular with alot of the passengers and alot of the regulars on this board. The only ship that has been upgraded is the Sea Princess.

Hi!

We'll be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary on the Golden in December. We're very excited about this ship and the cruise. We do have one question though...

Is the Golden due to be upgraded with the Movies Under The Stars like her sister ship the grand? If so, does anyone know when?

Thanks for any information.

R&S,

Sorry, Princess has abandoned the idea of retro-fitting MUTS to it's current fleet.

Thanks for the replies! I'm sorry to hear the ship won't be updated with MUTS. We thought a movie one night might be fun. Maybe if the MUTS is on all the time it takes away from the relaxing cruise experience?

Honestly, that is understandable and we don't mind a bit. I know we'll be quite busy with all the other great things to do on board.

Thanks again,

Princess started by retrofitting Grand Princess with MUTS, but it's not nearly as usable as it is on the ships designed with MUTS from the start. I think Grand Princess looks a bit ungainly with the screen and believe that Princess reconsidered after getting feedback from passengers.

One of the reasons the Golden isn't going to be retrofitted is that her itineraries have changed. MUTS is essentially a warm-weather feature and now that the Golden is cruising Alaska and South America, the evenings when MUTS could be used are relatively few. (On our South American cruise in February, for instance, it was too cold to even sit in the covered pool area much less the open area for most of the cruise.) Retrofitting is an enormous expense -- much moreso than building it into the ship in the original plans -- so that it doesn't make economic sense to spend all that money for something that will be rarely used. Another factor is that the Golden itineraries, particularly the South American ones, have a completely different passenger mix with mostly non-Americans cruising who could care less about American movies or MUTS.

Princess does have movies in the theater. On the Diamond Princess with no MUTS they showed 3 movies a day - 2 in the afternoon and one about midnite after the shows and I actually like the inside movies better than trying to watch MUTS. We had a hard time finding a good seat on the CB to watch a movie because on the Lido deck you have the hot tub outside lights blaring into your eyes if you sit there and on the upper deck in alot of spots there is that plexi-glass for the rail that distorts the image. Due to CB having MUTS they did not offer as much movies in the theater so I'm sure the Golden should offer at least 2 movies a day.

Archived