Tracy Arm Fjord Catamaran Tour only available on NCL Star. Worth it ?

New2Here

Oh wise and WONDERFUL CC board folks:

The description states:

This tour is ONLY AVAILABLE for guests on Norwegian Star & Norwegian Sun. Join an exclusive opportunity to see the very best of the Tracy Arm wilderness area and an exciting close-up view of the majestic twin Sawyer Glacier... Feel the mist on your face as your Captain skillfully guides the vessel almost directly under a plunging waterfall. The catamaran's extraordinary maneuverability will allow you to get close to North Sawyer Glacier, which cannot be approached by larger ships...Following the extended drift near the glacier's face, the catamaran will maneuver back into open water to pull alongside your awaiting cruise ship.

So, for $174 each is it worth it? It does not seem like I can book it outside of the NCL website. We want to get close to the glaciers and this seems like one of the only ways to do it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are sailing in early July.

Thanks!

This is probably exclusively contracted to the cruise line itself (common up here). Despite the cost, it's an all day excursion and Tracy Arm is quite spectacular, especially if you make it to Sawyer Glacier (actually twin glaciers).

It's only available through the ship because of the way the excursion is structured. You board a catamaran which leaves Juneau shortly before the cruise ship does, sail the same route the ship will take to Tracy Arm and up Tracy Arm to the twin Sawyer Glaciers, and then at the end of the exursion the catamaran meets up with the cruise ship wherever it ends up at in Tracy Arm.

There have been some weeks this year where the cruise ship couldn't make it into Tracy Arm at all due to ice conditions, and so they went to a different location -- Endicott Arm, I think??. Some of the cruisers on that excursion were very upset, as they felt that they'd paid more for seeing the same scenery that the cruise ship does, which is also true assuming you do get to Tracy Arm.

Is it worth it? From my standpoint, when we did it 3 years ago, definitely! Yes, you sail the same route that the cruise ship does, but on a smaller ship. On our excursion, we saw whales along the route and stopped and had what basically amounted to a whale watching excursion (note: not guaranteed). We were able to see both North and South Sawyer glaciers, crunching through the ice to get to North Sawyer, whereas the cruise ship passengers only saw South Sawyer, as the cruise ship couldn't navigate through that much ice. We got much closer to the face of the glaciers than the cruise ship could -- again, due to ice, and we had the experience of being able to see literally hundreds of seals on the icebergs, including the fantastic opportunity of seeing a seal give birth. I doubt the passengers who stayed on the ship even knew they were there, as they were probably at least 1/2 a mile further away.

One of the problems with a Tracy Arm itinerary is that the cruise ships are frequently iced out from seeing the glaciers. Taking the catamaran improves your chances of seeing the glaciers, as the catamaran is built to sail through the ice to a certain extent. It doesn't, however, guarantee that you'll see both glaciers. Sometimes even the catamaran can't safely navigate through the large quantities of ice that can block of Tracy Arm.

While I have only sailed Tracy Arm with an independent company, I would say it is well worth it. You will see the area with a perspective you do not get onboard ship. Your chances of getting close to and spending time at the glaciers are increased significantly. Tracy Arm has the most fabulous icebergs I've ever seen in Alaska.

The option of booking independent of the ship is unlikely, due to port times in Juneau.

I do not think you will be disappointed to upgrade your Tracy Arm sailing. Especially since Tracy Arm with the Sawyer Glaciers IS your glacier sailing...

We did this tour on the Sun, mid May 07. We did not get close enough (2 more turns), but we saw whales on the way, so we had a mini whale watch tour.

Going in July there is a good chance the Star will make it to the glaciers, but it is so different in Tracy Arm seeing it from a little catamaran.

The catamaran has 2 levels inside, go to the top level then it is easy to go outside when you want.

The trip to Tracy's Arm is definitely one of the best for Alaska cruise. If it is a must, you may want to check Princess around trip by Dawn/Sun since they sail right in Tracy's Arm. Although catamaran is more nimble and has a better chance to get closer to Sawyer glaciers than big ship. It is not guaranteed. If you do a search, someones have written a complaint about their unfair treatment early in the season..

Early in the season, anything goes all the way around in Tracy Arm. But historically after that time, the jet boats most always get farther than the cruise ships in Tracy Arm. Last season, I did not hear of any that did not get within view of the glacier. I have gone independent and have also booked this tour for next month from the Sun.

Overall, it can be an excellent excursion.

Just for fun, I went back and searched some of the reviews from last year's NCL sailings to Tracy Arm. They reminded me of the reasons that I wouldn't want to plan on seeing glaciers from Tracy Arm without booking the catamaran excursion.

From Thawan (from a 5/13/07 cruise)

we went back to the ship to get ready for our Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion. That catamaran sure can move, so if prone to seasickness, take something. We did not get all the way in to Sawyer glacier, two more turns and we would have. But on the way to Tracy arm we saw whales!!. The catamaran stopped for about 15 min. We saw them breeching. It was like they were putting on a show just for us, saying come on in and play the waters fine.

From Engineer (not sure of sailing date)

This was well worth the expense. We were so close to the ice that had broken off during the caving. And to see so much of nature just as you imagined - Wow! When we go back to ALaska - which we would like to do - we would do the Tracy Arm Fijord again.

Another totally cool thing was when we turned the corner and saw our ship The Sun - looking like a toy against the backdrop of the fijord. As we got closer we saw people on the deck watching us....hundreds of people. They put the bumpers between the ships and put the gangplank between the ship and the catamaran. People were leaning over the railing looking at us and waving. Once on board we had so many people ask us about this excursion. As we told them they all said they wish they would have booked it.

By the way - as far as booking this excursion - it fills fast. We booked online a month or two before we sailed just to guarantee our spots.

From mbission (9/9/06 - 9/16/06 sailing)

We got to Sawyer Island where there is a fork that goes to Sawyer Glacier and to South Sawyer Glacier. From where we turned around we could see S. Sawyer, but not Sawyer Glacier itself. With the number of icebergs/growlers/bergy bits in the water (some of them pretty big) I was surprised we made it as far as we did.

From photomikey (9/2/06 sailing)

The Tracy Arm shore excursion didn't run on our trip, but the big ship did get far enough up the fjord to see the glacier – only the 2nd time this season!

From Jett456 (7/29/06 sailing)

Juneau - we just walked around the shops (I bought a ring!) and then took the Tracy Arm trip. It was wonderful. Long but worth it because we got all the way up to the glacier. I thought the pilot was trying to give us an adventure/thrill ride. We were so close and felt the waves when the calving occured. We saw some orcas and a humpback and also a rare minky whale. (I would have liked to see more but 'oh well') There were seals visible on the ice floes. The Sun had to stop much further away. I don't know if they were even able to see the full South Glacier.

Just a sample of comments, but as you can see, counting on being able to view the glaciers from the ship is risky.

• 9 months later...

We did this tour and it was one of the best ones we have been on. It was amazing being so close to the glaciers. The ship wasn't able to get close enough because of all the ice in the water but we were lucky to be on the catamaran and see it. When we met up with the ship lots of people were saying they wished they had booked our tour.

I would book it again in a heartbeat!

This excrusion leaves Juneau ahead of the NCL STAR. 1:30 pm or so. I think you are booked on the STAR?

It later meets with the STAR ( 6 hours)in Tracy Arm or the other destination (depending on ice) The STAR does not return to Juneau, but rather heads north to Skagway.

If you are on the STAR, it is a must do, as the ship itself does not always get up the arm, again due to ice.

Book before you board, as it sells out.

milolii or budgetqueen:

Can you clarify what you mean about the tour going ahead of the Star? How does it work? After reading a few posts, it appears that we would be able to do some tours on land in Juneau (I didn't want to miss a few) and then take the catamaran which leaves about what time? Would we be able to squeeze in a city tour and the Salmon Bake beforehand? Can you confirm that? About what time does it meet up with the ship? Before dinner?

I'm not either of the people you asked, but we did this excursion on the Sun in 2004. The catamaran leaves Juneau about shortly before the cruise ship does (30-60 minutes, if I recall) and follows the same route that the cruise ship will take. It's on a jet boat/catamarn, so it's able to sail faster than the cruise ship does. When we went, we stopped for two different occassions on the way to Tracy Arm when whales were spotted, and spent about 10 or 15 minutes "whale watching", which was a wonderful experience.

After entering Tracy Arm, we sailed quite slowly, while an onboard naturalist gave us good information about the geology, animals, flowers, etc. that we were seeing. We were able to see both North Sawyer and South Sawyer glaciers. The passengers who stayed on the cruise ship were iced out of North Sawyer and had a much more distance view of South Sawyer. In front of South Sawyer, there were literally hundreds of seals lying on the icebergs, and we got to see one give birth. My young-adult age kids were thrilled!

We then pulled alongside the Sun (which was stopped as far up Tracy Arm as it could get) and tendered back onto the ship. We were back onboard in plenty of time for dinner.

We had planned on taking the Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau that morning, but it was so cloudy that there wasn't any point in doing so. We ended up booking a city tour and Mendenhall Glacier bus trip right at the dock, and then spent a couple of hours shopping. I don't know for sure about the salmon bake --- it would depend on what time it started and how close to the pier it's located.

I can tell you, however, that this is one of the two excursions that I'd definitely repeat if we were on another NCL ship that was going to Tracy Arm (the other is whale watching with Harv & Marv). We thought it was marvelous!

Ute Fan

I'll gladly take input from any wise cruiser. Budgetqueen suggested this to me last week, but I thought it would take up our entire time in the port and now I understand how it works. I tried to book the excursion, but it would not allow me the option to add to my itinerary. Is it possible that it's sold out already? almost 3 months in advance? If it becomes available to book, would I be able to cancel in case some of the people we're traveling with decide the trip is too long? I'm just worried about our 18 year old teens complaining, because that is what teens do best, right? Just like that cruise commercial where the family is trying to get their female teen to smile during the excursions. This excursion is no pocket change for us, there's 9 of us all together.

Thanks,

It could possibly be sold out. This tends to be a very popular excursion -- but I'd try calling the shore excursion desk and see if you can get more information. I don't remember for sure what the cancellation policy is, but I think you can normally cancel up to 48 hours in advance or something like that -- except possibly for excursions involving flights which state that they're non-cancellable.

My daughter had just graduated from HS when we did this excursion, and she enjoyed it. She particularly enjoyed the seals near South Sawyer. The kids preferred those to the glaciers, and I don't think we would have even known they were there if we'd stayed on the cruise ship. Since you'd be doing the same route on the ship anyway, there shouldn't be much of an issue about it being too long. The only difference time-wise would be the hour or so that you leave before the ship does.

When is your cruise? It's also possible that this excursion isn't available for your specific sailing if you're at the very beginning or end of the Alaska season.

Hello,

I called NCL excursion desk. They said they were having problems with their new system. 1.866.625.1167 talked to Roxanne at ext. 7388, she was great! She reserved for all of us and we have 48 hours to cancel before the tour. Adults are $183 and children are $159. We'll probably leave the 18 year old boys on the ship. She also said that we would have enough time to do a Glacier Tour and Salmon Bake starting at 9am. The salmon bake would be at 10:30 and the Tracy Arm tour departs about 1:15 pm. We board our ship about 6:15pm. We're sailing on the NCL Star on June 21 from Seattle.

Have a wonderful cruise! I hope you enjoy this excursion as much as we did. I remember reading about one person who was very upset because she didn't realize that the ship took the same route the catamaran did, and she felt she'd paid extra for something that wasn't worthwhile. The views that you get from the catamaran are so much better than what you see from the cruise ship that we felt it was worth every penny, even though it was expensive.

I've had just enough glitches with the online shore excursion system that I usually call to make sure my excursions booked properly. I'm glad that you were able to get a helpful person on the phone.

• 1 month later...

DH and I are considering booking this excursion, except he is concerned about how long the excursion is for (5 hours).

How comfortable is the small boat?

How many passengers does it hold?

Are there seats on the inside and outside section of the boat?

How cold is it during the trip?

Is there food on board?

If DH is prone to sea sickness, should we reconsider?

We're already booked for the helicopter/dog sledding tour in the morning (8:45 am) and it's suppose to have us back at the ship at approximately 11:45 am. This tour leaves at 1:15 pm, is that pushing it? DH is worried that this will be a very LONG day.

Will we have enough time to freshen up and grab a quick lunch on the ship before leaving for the excursion?

Sorry for so many questions - this is our first cruise.

Thanks for the input!

Hello,

I called NCL excursion desk. They said they were having problems with their new system. 1.866.625.1167.....

I agree. This seems to be the way to handle the booking for this excursion. NCL website did not list this excursion for my cruise on 5/31 allegedly because there had been some internal debate at NCL about whether to offer this excursion early in the season. But it's interesting to note that cruisers in late June were also not seeing the excursion display.

Bottom line: if you are interested in this excursion, do not rely on the NCL web site.

Here's a picture of the catamaran at the completion of the excursion, showing how it pulled right up next to the Sun: 1204255164060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

As you can see, there are no seats on the upper deck, but there are nice comfortable ones inside. I'm a terrible judge of how many people would have been on it -- maybe 100 - 150? The inside of the catamaran is heated, but it can get cold up on the decks, especially near the glaciers. They had some snacks available on the excursion, but I don't remember what. I've been on a couple of different ones, and haven't kept the details separate in my mind. There are restrooms available (even though you didn't ask about that ;) ). As far as seasickness goes, once you are into Tracy Arm I wouldn't imagine it would be much of an issue as it's quite protected. I'd imagine that the chances of getting seasick on the way from Juneau to Tracy Arm would be higher, but my DD who also gets seasick didn't have any trouble.

Archived