Recommendation for Hotel & Tour Company

When checking the tours, keep in mind that they may not take you back to your hotel afterwards. We used Golden tours and the tour was interesting. They picked us up from a nearby hotel and took us to a central boarding point. The last stop was a ride on the London Eye and that's where they left us. Luckily we weren't too far from our hotel and walked back, but it was a bit of a hike in the rain.

Dave

Hi Suzy,

Didn't we have a grand time on the Freedom this past April? It looks like many of our group are going on the Splendor Baltic also.

I've also been looking at hotels in London for a pre-cruise stay. The last time I was in London I stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt in Kensington & was well pleased, although it does get mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. It was right across the street from the Gloucester tube station & extremely convenient to everything. However, it was November when I stayed there & when I was checking on hotel prices, I noticed that they do not have air conditioning. Most of the time I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem, but since we'll be there in the summer time I think that's something we need to make sure that our hotel has. I did find the Millennium Bailey's Hotel & from the description, is right across the street from the Vanderbilt. The Millennium Baileys has a Trip Advisor rating of 148 out of 1002 hotels in London & it does have air conditioning & the location would be great if you're planning on using the tube to get around. Kensingston tends to be less expensive that some areas of London. It is a nice area, but less central, therefore less expensive.

I'm also looking into the Ruben's At The Palace Hotel near Victoria Station. It also has air conditioning & is rated #38 out of 1002 hotels in London by Trip Advisor. It is also about double the price, but I'm thinking I might like to stay in that part of London for a change.

I really recommend that you consider sightseeing in London town on your own by using the tube (metro). It's an inexpensive & really easy way to get around town. Check out their website at http://www.londontravelpass.com. You can get 1,3, or 7 day visitors passes that allow you to travel anywhere within London & it is cheaper & more convenient than buying individual tickets. Also, if you can get a Frommer's London book, it tells about privately guided tours of Westminister Abby & the Tower of London & they're either free (Tower of London) or just a nonminal fee of 5.00 (Westminister Abby). The tours are conducted by a priest at the abby & one of the Yeoman Warders at the tower, so they are experts. I've done both & they're very good. Sorry, it's been so long since I've done them I can't remember the time, but I'm thinking around 10 am. As for guided tours, I've always used Evan Evans tours for Windsor, Bath & Stoneheng, Stratford on Avon, Canterburry, & Warwick Castle. However, as mentioned earlier, they more or less just "dump" you when you come back into London & you have to make your way back to your hotel as best you can.

Florence

I would suggest getting a hotel near the Victoria Coach station, which is also within a block of the Golden Tours and BigBus stations.

We stayed at the Luna and Simone, a VERY nicely maintained and run budget hotel. Check tripadvisor for the reviews.

Then you are a 4 block walk to the coach stations, and I know the Windsor Tour leaves and returns from there. Also, you can catch the hop on/off bus at one of the stops, as well as having the Tube right there, also.

We do not use tour companies, so I cannot advise you on that, but all the bus and Tube transpo being right there is handy.

Archived