Jet Lag....

slightlysilly

We did UK to NYC last year which is 5hours behind for us. We took it very easy on night one and went to bed at about 5pm. DS woke at about 3:30ish I gave him a feed and tucked him in with me. We managed another hour or so. We got up and took the day very easy. Had an early breakfast and then let him have little snacks until lunchtime (by the timezone NOT bodyclock.) He had dinner at normal timezone and then bath and bed. He took about an hour and a half to settle, but he slept until 6am the following morning. Took the day as normal and we were sorted.

I have a 3 year old going from the east coast to Hawaii in August.

What do you do about Jet Lag? I think it is a 5 hour behind difference.

Thanks in advance!

Try to travel at least a day in advance to help adjust to local time. East coast to Hawaii is a tough one. Try to resist going to bed until absolutely necessary or you'll be up at 2am!

If it's any comfort, I fly with my three, about every six months from Europe to California. This is a nine hour time change and honestly, I've never had any terrible problems.

I put them on a schedule that somewhat ressembles our new time zone as soon as we arrive. Bedtime anywhere from 8pm to midnight... I have not too salty or sweet snacks on time since rumbling tummies can mess up sleep. NO computers or TV. Keep everything dark and quiet during nighttime if s/he gets up. Don't scold and quietly take care of whatever and send them to sleep.

Your dentist will forgive you if you skip that one brushing! (turning on bright bathroom lights and going through that routine at 4am might be counter-productive).

hth!

I have a 3 year old going from the east coast to Hawaii in August.

What do you do about Jet Lag? I think it is a 5 hour behind difference.

Thanks in advance!

Actually, for August, it's a 6 hour time change from the East Coast. Hawaii does not go on daylight saving time.

The slower pace and wonderful weather will help a great deal, though. It normally takes longer to get there than to get back due to tailwinds. I lived there during college and "commuted" to the west coast. I always took one day of down time when going back to school.

Sunshine helps and that's something that you get enough of in Hawaii!

Also the fact that day and night are pretty even. It's hard to come back to Europe in the winter with the 4:30pm sunset. Just get out and do things and the problem usually clears.

All this has to do with melotonin. If you're curious, google it to read up in detail. I actually took melotonin when I was a flight attendant but don't give it to my kids (and skipped it breastfeeding and pregnant as well). Knowing the mechanics of your body clock might help.

At age 3, you can explain that it's night and they have to stay in bed till it's light.

Promise it wont mess up your vacation!

Archived