Never had to tender...

Effie

I've been on three cruises and never had to tender in to port (Cozumel, Freeport and Nassau).

In August my family is going on the Holiday to Calica and Cozumel. I read in a new 2007 travel book that since Hurricane Wilma damaged the piers, all ships tender into Cozumel now.

Is this true and if so please tell me what tendering is like. I would like to be able to prepare my 7 year old son ahead of time, if needed.

Thanks!

There is one pier operational - near Carlos & Charlies and Senor Frogs - is and 2 or 3 boats can dock at one time. Apparently there is a rotating system on which boats get dock and which ones have to tender. I'm sure someone on here has a website you can go to to find out if you will have to tender or not.

I think at least one of the piers has been repaired so depending on how many ships are in port, you may be able to dock.

I didn't think that tendering was all that bad. Just listen up for where to get tender tickets or if all else fails, just ask guest services where you are supposed to go to tender.

If you are suspectible to motion sickness, take something before you get on the tender. That was the only time I felt like I was going to get sick because it was rocking back and forth against the ship while they were loading it.

Keep in mind that the last tender back to the ship typically about an hour before the time the ship leaves the port.

I had read all of the stuff about tendering before we went to Grand Cayman. Other than having to wait for the first boat to fill up when we were on the second, it was a breeze. There are plenty of staff to assist and the sea wasn't very rough. Going back there was a long line at 12:45 for a 2 pm disembark that really stretched out the later it got.

Should you have to tender from the Holiday to Cozumel, it is easy. Your child might look at it as somewhat of an adventure. It is painless, but fun. Going from ship to boat and back. There are plenty of crew around to make sure there are no issues.:D Might seem a little iffy going and coming, but it's not. There are folk to make sure you get safely on and off the tender.

Archived