Norweign Dawn to Canada/New England

Mysteryfan

Okay I have cruised Cunard but want to take a friend on NCL on October 14th Cruise. IT would be on the NOrweign Dawn. What is your opinion of NCl and thier ships??? Good food, good crews????

Mysteryfan

Yeah the Dawn would be great. Really Great NE/Canada itinerary, quite good ship,crew, food.. Some of the shows are absolutely top notch.

I can't anticipate how you'd feel about freestyle dining, the aspect where you don't sit with the same group of strangers for dinner every night. Just need to be a little more outgoing to meet people. You can ask the maitre D to be seated with others, and if you especially like a group you meet, you can arrange to eat together for the remainder of the cruise.

Also formal wear is optional on NCL.

Okay I have cruised Cunard but want to take a friend on NCL on October 14th Cruise. IT would be on the NOrweign Dawn. What is your opinion of NCl and thier ships??? Good food, good crews????

Mysteryfan

We have really liked our NCL cruises--we're two active seniors, but there's always a good mix of ages onboard. We've also cruised HAL & Princess, and the food compares favorably. If you'd like more info, please feel free to email. If you haven't booked, perhaps a friend of mine who's really done some good cruise deals for me, could help you. Just let me know. connieh@email.beaufort.cc.nc.us In any event, I hope you enjoy your cruise! :)

GG

Mysteryfan

We have been on one Cunard cruise, a transatlantic on the QE2. We were in an inside cabin so we did not experience the upper level accomodations and dining that the QE2 is known for. It was a wonderful trip back to the US after 8 incredible days in London and in Paris.

We will experience our first NCL Dawn cruise in August. We have been on 3 other NCL ships and loved each cruise.

We like the freestyle dining options that NCL offers. The variety of restaurants and dining at different times appeals to us. We enjoyed the formal dress of Cunard but also loved the Resort casual atmosphere of NCL. The dining options were wonderful and we have found that the service was excellent on both. I do give the edge to Cunard however.

We will be in a Penthouse suite on the Dawn and having the butler and a cabin with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths will be far superior to what we had on the QE2.

I find it hard to compare the 2 lines as they are very different. I have found the crew to be very friendly and accomodating on my NCl cruises (NCL Majesty x2 and NCL Spirit) the food to be good to excellent, especially in the speciality restaurants.

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

Mysteryfan

We love the Dawn...food, crew and staff.

Have cruised her twice to Canada/NE.

Will cruise the Dawn again in October. More Canadian ports this itinerary:)

Good luck with your decision.

We love the Dawn...food, crew and staff.

Have cruised her twice to Canada/NE.

Will cruise the Dawn again in October. More Canadian ports this itinerary:)

Good luck with your decision.

The Dawn, her wonderful crew, her numerous great dining venues and Canada/New England are a perfect cruise combo. Enjoy.

If you feel up to it, in Bar Harbor you can rent bikes a few blocks from the tender dock. You can then bike the carriage paths in Acadia National Park and enjoy the beautiful fall foliage.

We are looking at Canada/New England cruises for next summer as well. We would really like to sail on NCL, but unfortunately, they don't have any ships going there during June and July when we have to go because so many of us are teachers and our kids are in school. (and I am adamant about students not missing school for vacation.)

I wish NCL would alternate one of their Bermuda ships (the Dawn would be a wonderful choice...hint hint) like RCCL does. One week Bermuda, the next Canada/New England. It is a real shame that educators cannot take Canada/New England cruises until we retire....12 more years for me! I can't believe that they can fill three ships for just Bermuda.

Like I said, we have found two RCCL cruises that do Canada and New England in July and now just have to decide which one. (Explorer of the Seas vs. Grandeur of the Seas.) My mother absolutely hates Carnival and we eliminated HAL because many in our group, after reading their brochure, their page on Cruise Critic and listening to my parents stories about their two HAL cruises, decided that they seemed to "stuffy" and "old" (as one person put it.). HAL, RCCL, Carnival and one cruise on Cunard are the only Canada/New England cruises out there in June and July for 2008.

C'mon NCL, you can spare one ship can't you.......:D

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on the Dawn in October as well. The 14th to be exact. We are hoping for the best. Did a NCL cruise through the Panama Canal on the Wind a few years ago and it was terrible!! Had said that we would not go NCL again but read such good reviews that decided to give it a try. Hope that all of you that are going on the October 14th cruise to the New Englad states, etc., will join the thread for that cruise. Will be looking for you.

• 1 month later...

We are flying in on the 13th and staying at the Holiday Inn. Found out that they have an airport shuttle for the motel, so will take it from LGA to the hotel and then take the ship transfer to to the ship the next day. We booked the hotel through NCL. We are kind of country bumpkins so were real glad to let them take care of it. Would like to see a little more of NYC but don't know how as we are all disabled in that we can not walk very far. So, probably won't see much more than from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship.

where is the thread for the October 14th cruise on NCL to New England.??

HOW TO FIND ROLL CALLS:

If you go to BOARDS, then ROLL CALLS, you will see NCL and each ship listed. All the Roll Calls are there. Make sure you stop in and say hello.

We cruised on the Dawn three times before, and although they were Caribbean cruises, we will be on her again next week for the Ca/NE 11 night cruise. Can't wait, absolutely love the Dawn and Freestyle dining.

Tater, be sure to view the sailaway from NYC to see the skyline and the Statue of Liberty on the opposite side. It is the best cruise experience, and we've done it a dozen times already and never get tired of it. BTW, if the outside deck with windows by the pool is too cold, you can view from the inside buffet area with large windows. We did this last year when it was too windy out on deck. Get the cameras ready:)

We just returned from the 9-2 NE/ Canada. The ports after Qubec have nothing in them. They were 3 very boring stops. Do not even bother going into town in LaBae, Cornerbrook or Sydney. We enjoyed the ship, the sevice and for the most part the food. When we eat in a main dinning room it was good but most nights we were in specialty venues, both free & charge. Impressions (free) has the best food but it is hard to get into, so reserve as early as they allow.

Marc

We were on your cruise and I totally agree with you about the 3 "filler"

ports. In all fairness, I did think that the scenery and views of La Baie were gorgeous. Would much preferrred to have gone to Newport, Martha's Vineyard instead and then on to Quebec, which was teriffic. Everything else was great and I agree about Impressions...having known it, when it was part of the buffet area and not liking it, I was delighted that it was

so good and ate there twice. We would have probably eated there again, but we waited too late.

Barb

Marc

We were on your cruise and I totally agree with you about the 3 "filler"

ports. In all fairness, I did think that the scenery and views of La Baie were gorgeous. Would much preferrred to have gone to Newport, Martha's Vineyard instead and then on to Quebec, which was teriffic. Everything else was great and I agree about Impressions...having known it, when it was part of the buffet area and not liking it, I was delighted that it was

so good and ate there twice. We would have probably eated there again, but we waited too late.

Barb

Did you have the overnight in Quebec? If so, any suggestions for a restaurant for dinner?

Do you recommend staying on the ship in Corner Brook?

Who is the HD on the Dawn now?

No there is no overnight. In my view there should have been one and one of the last 3 stops skipped. In CornerBrook take the tastes and traditions tour. It is a lunch and show in a restaurant for 2 hours. There is nothing to do or see in town. We did enjoy the show and lunch

;) That would be great to have an overnight in Quebec and also stop in Martha's Vineyard! But I have to say that we enjoyed the stop in Cornerbrook and La Baie. I think these were better if you did the more outdoor types of adventures. In LaBaie we took a wild ride on a zodiac boat in the beautiful fjords. The scenery was a lot like Alaska. I got out and walked most of the day in Cornerbrook and enjoyed the "Stream Walking Tour" without the tour. What a beautiful trail! I could have spent all day out there. I'm a casual bird watcher so this was an added benefit. (Didn't see any puffins!) So I guess it all depends on what you like. I personally don't want to go to the Newport mansions.

We ran in to some friendly locals, and some great little "joints"!

Archived