Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

Well I for one........

She makes a good point.....and before you deleted your post. You said how could someone not know of his situtation:confused:

I guess you have never had a family member with serious medical problems.....believe me some things are not visable to the naked eye.

I deleted it because after it posted I noticed mama had responded and it didn't read the way I meant it.

"And besides, who cares" was in reference to this whole entire thread. JAPT.

No not a family member, just a friend that's cruised with us for the last several years. She passed last fall. But she dressed to the nines on her last cruise on the Elation. Wig and all.

So I guess mama is right, "And since we are all ignorant of all of the facts making a judgement can result in the judger being the bigger fool." :cool:

That doesn't matter. If you were in the dining room you would pass the same judgment on him that you did here..... since I doubt you have access to all the medical records to know what passengers are dealing with.

I abide by the dress code on both casual and formal nights, but I understand there might be reasons for someone to dress differently. This is a JAPT as you're known to say, so with that I'm out of this thread...

John

To be fair, I think most people would think the same thing. I don't think one would be passing judgement, but the thought of "wearing a ballcap in a dining room is rude" would likely be there... not passing judgement on the person, but on the act. But it IS, in most cases, inappropriate to wear a ballcap to dinner. Just because a few choose to say it only on here, don't think others would not be thinking it...and most wouldn't question or even think to themselves "he might have cancer"... it's just not a thought that crosses ones mind. That is when you just have to shrug it off. A Cancer patients LAST concern is what others think... so it truly doesn't matter does it??? Who cares if others are thinking it is not appropriate... they don't know the truth, nor is it any of their business. You simply don't worry about it, you don't sweat the small stuff... you don't give a crap what others are thinking. When you are staring at the face of cancer, what some stranger thinks of you is pretty insignificant.

No not a family member, just a friend that's cruised with us for the last several years. She passed last fall. But she dressed to the nines on her last cruise on the Elation. Wig and all.

So I guess mama is right, "And since we are all ignorant of all of the facts making a judgement can result in the judger being the bigger fool." :cool:

Sorry to hear about your friend:(

When you loose people close to you it kinda changes your whole attitude about what's important....

I always say don't sweat the little things:)

DMS - I am sure your friend loved every minute she spent cruising with you and that was the best gift you can give an ill person -time-.My condolances on your loss.

Lucy - you are so right people assume in all circumstances (mama included:o ) and we will not care a bit about others assumptions.:)

To all others - I never posted to make anyone feel bad. I posted to state that no one knows everyones personal story.

I love to dress, and do on every cruise. Hubby did also. I just feel to make a unilateral policy to forbid entrance to all persons not dressed "appropriatly" is ultimately unfair as no one should or could know all of the facts. This was in answer to the original post and poll.:DOf course this is my personal opinion and it was actually always my opinion on the subject.

How does Lucy say it, the drama llama is in full force today. :rolleyes:

You didn't post yesterday to prove a point, you posted to get the response you got today just so you could try and make someone feel bad.

You were hoping someone that didn't already know your circumstances would come along and say something.

And I do feel bad. Mamaskittles, I missed your post #64, and I am very sorry for your husband's illness. I truly mean that. I would not ask your DH to remove his hat because it would be apparent why he is wearing it. I apologize for my post. You are right, there are always exceptions. I do hope you and and your family have a great cruise, ballcap and all :)

DMS - I am sure your friend loved every minute she spent cruising with you and that was the best gift you can give an ill person -time-.My condolances on your loss.

Lucy - you are so right people assume in all circumstances (mama included:o ) and we will not care a bit about others assumptions.:)

To all others - I never posted to make anyone feel bad. I posted to state that no one knows everyones personal story.

I love to dress, and do on every cruise. Hubby did also. I just feel to make a unilateral policy to forbid entrance to all persons not dressed "appropriatly" is ultimately unfair as no one should or could know all of the facts. This was in answer to the original post and poll.:DOf course this is my personal opinion and it was actually always my opinion on the subject.

Mama, I for one will keep this in the back of my head from here on out... like I said, most of us don't think of things like that... I would much rather it be that your hubby was being rude, than having cancer :( And I don't think anyone else with a heart or a soul would feel differently. I try not to judge people on first sight, but like you said, it happens... but I thank you for pointing this out... it will get me to think before I judge the actions of another next time...

I just feel to make a unilateral policy to forbid entrance to all persons not dressed "appropriatly" is ultimately unfair as no one should or could know all of the facts. This was in answer to the original post and poll.:DOf course this is my personal opinion and it was actually always my opinion on the subject.

Thank you.

Since we are now back on the subject, I believe in enforcement of the dress code. The Maitre' D would be the person to make the exceptions and then no one would have cause for complaint.

While there are exceptions, to nearly every rule, the majority of those that just don't want to "dress-up" don't really have a reason not too.

Thank you all for your kindness. I am sitting here crying at my keyboard. The kindness of strangers ...as Blanche said:D .

I like to think I am an open minded individual and always give the benefit of the doubt, but I know I don't. I am human. I see a screaming child throwing a tantrum I used to think -brat. Now I think maybe ill in some way.

I hope others will see this and maybe not assume all who are not dressed to their sense of what is right and appropriate are doing so to ruin "their " cruise or for selfish reasons. By the way some are doing for selfish reasons but since we can't know that, I still believe a "no admittance" policy is inherently unfair by it's very nature:D .

I have a good friend that 2 years ago, had a tumor on his brain.. they removed it and he is all better now.. Thanks GOD!!! BUT, it left him with an enormous scar on his head... he is a young guy in his 40's and HATES the scar so he also wears a ball cap... he wears one almost every day to work.

To me, if he wants to wear a ball cap to dinner... so be it!!!! I am just happy he's around that we can still finish off a bottle of wine together at dinner.

So Moma... my true wishes go out for you....

Thank you all for your kindness. I am sitting here crying at my keyboard. The kindness of strangers ...as Blanche said:D .

I like to think I am an open minded individual and always give the benefit of the doubt, but I know I don't. I am human. I see a screaming child throwing a tantrum I used to think -brat. Now I think maybe ill in some way.

I hope others will see this and maybe not assume all who are not dressed to their sense of what is right and appropriate are doing so to ruin "their " cruise or for selfish reasons. By the way some are doing for selfish reasons but since we can't know that, I still believe a "no admittance" policy is inherently unfair by it's very nature:D .

This is a good lesson for all of us. My best to you and your husband. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

This thread has had so many ups and down, with right and left turns, it reminds me a little of the poster who said his grandfather wanted to wear his uniform from the war on formal night.

He left out one small detail, though. :eek:

This is a good lesson for all of us. My best to you and your husband. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

Amen to that. :)

As for the bald head, I'm sure your husband will see plenty of men with bald heads. No one will think twice about his hairlessness.

I hope you have a great cruise.

...Cruise on everyone.

if you meant "cruise for everyone" (on your tab:D), pls let me know how to contact you.:D

just catchin on about how sad this thread has turned. my condolences to those who have lost dear friends and loved ones, and best wishes to those fighting the fight.

Okgirl. So, if standards of dress are enforced, you will punish the waitstaff (who also work the buffets and other venues at non-dinner hours) by removing your tips. That's really cheap of you.

It doesn't punish the waitstaff, I'm simply changing my tip amount to only inlcude the nights that I am actually waited on. If I'm standing in line for my food, and getting my own drink refills and taking my tray to the trash station, I haven't been served in anyway by anyone and there isn't a tip due to anybody. I'm actually a very generous tipper, and especially to those people who actually serve me. However, I must admit that I never tip the maitre' de unless he has actually made some special accomodation for me. He's a member of the management team and his salery should compensate him accordingly, and coming by the table just to say hello one time during a 7 day cruise is not service, it's solicitation.

It doesn't punish the waitstaff, I'm simply changing my tip amount to only inlcude the nights that I am actually waited on. If I'm standing in line for my food, and getting my own drink refills and taking my tray to the trash station, I haven't been served in anyway by anyone and there isn't a tip due to anybody. I'm actually a very generous tipper, and especially to those people who actually serve me. However, I must admit that I never tip the maitre' de unless he has actually made some special accomodation for me. He's a member of the management team and his salery should compensate him accordingly, and coming by the table just to say hello one time during a 7 day cruise is not service, it's solicitation.

You tell yourself whatever you need to in order to feel good about it... it doesn't change things though ;)

Completely different from the Maitre'D... I only tip him if he does something special for me...

But I do understand that my wait staff also works the lido deck, so I don't punish them... I also comprehend pretty well, when Carnival states that the tipping applies regardless of where you choose to eat... it means that these guys and girls are all over the place, and deserve the tip. But if you are bussing your own tables on the lido, and keeping the lido orderly, and assisting when needed... you certainly should remove the tips. You should be added to the tip pool yourself :p

Goin. I totally agree. I would never have thought of anything like that. I've been on 19 cruises on various lines and have just never heard of that arguement for not tipping. Sometimes I eat in the buffet for breakfast or lunch; sometimes in the DR. I always see the evening DR waitstaff serving in some capacity or another in both venues. They don't just serve dinner but other times such as late night buffets and parties. BTW. I've never felt the need to bus tables. LOL

Of course their going to put the most dressed up people in the commerical to make it look good. That's advertising

Since there are so many cruising with Carnival who dislike dressing up?? just whom are they targeting the advertising to? Isn't that sort of thing for the majority??

Archived