Has anyone tried the "Monoi oil Mosquito repellent"

I am wondering how effective this is compared to the ones that have deet.

A friend has a son that tree plants in the wilderness (summer job), and is getting eaten by mosquitoes. He uses deet right now, but is concerned about the effects of using it all the time.

If you have used the Monoi repellent, I would love to hear what you thought of it.

Thank you:)

I don't know about Hawaii, but everything I have read about Tahiti says to bring mosquito repellent. It doesn't say there is a down period for them.

I read on trip advisor or one of those type sites that they can be vicious! I haven't been yet so this is all hearsay.

You might want to take some just in case;)

Have a fun trip!!

• 3 weeks later...

Try this...I apply and nothing comes near me...the spray smells a little like perfume and nothing(I mean nothing) comes near me. www.newtechbio.com/mosquito the spray has all natural additives and lasts until you get wet. Enjoy your trip and be safe!

I also use skin so soft and treebalmreppelent.com and they work too but I am now avoiding the skin do doft since I read that the contents contain cancer causing agents.

Try this...I apply and nothing comes near me...the spray smells a little like perfume and nothing(I mean nothing) comes near me. www.newtechbio.com/mosquito the spray has all natural additives and lasts until you get wet. Enjoy your trip and be safe!

I also use skin so soft and treebalmreppelent.com and they work too but I am now avoiding the skin do doft since I read that the contents contain cancer causing agents.

Thank you so much jennifer3535, I will give the email address to my friend and see what she thinks. Her son is coming home soon from out west, but he will be doing this next year too, so she can order it for then.

I didn't know that skin so soft had cancer causing agents, but that is good to know as we are very much against using anything that has that if we don't have to.

Thanks again, have a great day!:)

I have to say that twice I have been to FP and I haven't seen a mosquito yet ! I was there in March once and April.

Larry

I am so glad to hear that - we go next may!

Maybe it is just the interior of the island that has some? I will take some anyway just in case we do the 4x4 which goes into the interior, I think.

Thanks again, have a great day!:)

I've been to FP three times, and mosquitoes can be a problem in certain places, but in general, especially on a cruise, you don't have much to worry about. I have never actually brought any with me.

But if you're on a 4x4 trip or a hike in the jungle, then a repellent is a good idea. I tried the Monoi oil one once, someone lent me theirs, and it seemed to work fine. Not sure how heavy-duty it is for heavy mosquito areas.

When we stayed at the Pearl in Manihi, they sprayed the property for mosquitoes every night (yuck). In general the trade winds kept them away, but in quiet areas with no wind, they would have been a problem without the spray.

It might also be useful around your ankles on a motu beach, in case of sand fleas, but I can't remember having that problem.

Thanks for the reply Wendy. I might buy some of it and try it on the 4x4, just to see how it works. If it does I will give it to my friends son, and they can also order some of the repellent that jennifer3535 recommended.

I'll be on the lookout for those sand fleas as well! I get big ugly bumps when something bites me.

Thanks again, and have a nice day!:)

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I are booked for the TP 8/12/07 FP cruise and I had heard the mosquitos could be a problem too. All hearsay, since this is our first time to FP. My pharmacist had us take 250mg of B1 for two weeks prior to sailing. I also purchased the Avon skin-so-soft with sunscreen. Two birds with one stone...never heard of the cancer causing problem.

We are planning the 4x4 excursions and horseback riding. I hope the combination keeps us bug free!:o

Crystal Harmony 3/92 Caribbean & Panama Canal

Carnival Pride 8/05 Mexican Riviera

Tahitian Princess 8/12/07 FP and Tahiti

Saphire Princess 8/16/08 Alaska

Now that we're back from our trip on the Tahitian Princess I'm happy to report there were no issues with mosquitos in Polynesia or Hawaii. We never used our repellent. But, just for the record, mosquitos (at least in the Caribbean) seem to LOVE Skin-so-Soft. We used a product with DEET in Belize and had no problems. Our friends used the Skin-so-Soft and literally got eaten alive. I've never seen so many bites.

Archived