Princess Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise & Flight

auburnaggiemom

I can't help you with Misty Fjords by boat. However, Misty Fjords flightseeing with Island Wings was the first excursion I booked 8 months before we cruised. Unfortunately - it was the most disappointing of our excursions due to lots of low clouds that made it impossible to get into the Fjords. If the weather is clear, I'm sure you'll have a spectacular flight. If not - then your flight will be so-so. I would've been disappointed to have had it cancelled, but at least I would've had my money refunded.

We (party of 8) wanted to book this excurson on the Coral Princess but there wasn't enough room for all eight of us, so I started looking around for an independent company. I found that if you go directly through Alaska Travel Adventures (alaskaadventures.com) you can book the exact same excursion (same boat, same plane) for less money. It was $284 incl. tax and on Princess it was $319 (not sure about tax).

We leave next week, July 2, and will be in Ketchikan on July 4, so I can let you know how it was when we get back.

I did this trip and I preferred the catamaran trip more then the flight. Though the first part of the boat trip was gorgeous (we did flight in, boat back) and the last part was just OK. The part when at Misty Fiords in a boat is definitely nice.

I didn't take many pictures from that excursion as I was in the back of the plane - but here are some pics:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/alaska2005/PhotoAlbum67.html

I took a flight over the Misty Fjords. The day was sparkling clear and the trip was unforgettable! That said, it would be a disappointment if it were very overcast. Rather than booking the flight in advance, you could wait until you arrive in Juneau. Then get of the boat as soon as it docks and head to the building on the pier where you can book flights as well as other excursions. There are a number of different flight operators there.

We did the flight with Michelle and it was just incredible. We did fly on an absolutely perfect day that had crystal blue skies, no wind and temps in the high 60's!

Now that I've seen it from the air, I would also like to Misty Fjords from the water as well.

The weather definitely effects the Wow factor...

How long was the entire flt/cruise? We have flown into Misty Fjords twice and want to do something different. Is the boat portion of the tour interesting and goes to several different places within MF?

Has anyone done Allen Marine or someone else for cruise only to MF?

I took a flight over the Misty Fjords. The day was sparkling clear and the trip was unforgettable! That said, it would be a disappointment if it were very overcast. Rather than booking the flight in advance, you could wait until you arrive in Juneau. Then get of the boat as soon as it docks and head to the building on the pier where you can book flights as well as other excursions. There are a number of different flight operators there.

It's a long flight from Juneau, but the visitor center in Ketchikan was soliciting people for Misty Fjords flights on the cloudy day we went! :)

How long was the entire flt/cruise? We have flown into Misty Fjords twice and want to do something different. Is the boat portion of the tour interesting and goes to several different places within MF?

Has anyone done Allen Marine or someone else for cruise only to MF?

I apologize - I don't remember. It has been 2 years since I did this.

The first part of the boat portion was interesting but once you got out of Misty Fiords, it wasn't anything special. Not sure about going to several places in MF - we just sailed by wild life, waterfalls, etc...

I wasn't too impressed with it - I didn't like the flight at all. Though, I am not a fan of Ketchikan. I have tried a million things there and that is the one port I am not impressed with. If I was to go back again, I would probably do the cruise only to Misty Fiords if it was offered and the weather was good.

I did the Misty Fiords Cruise/Flight thru HAL 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed the trip. There were only about 16 of us on the boat first which was about a 2 or 2 1/2 hr ride. We saw a pod of Orcas and the boat later pulled up close to shore so we could watch a bear looking for salmon. We then switched places with the two groups that had flown over and had a very nice flight back. I'm posting my review and photos in stages and haven't got to the Ketchikan part yet but it should be there later this week See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=573881

• 8 years later...
I know this thread is insanely old, but was wondering about this lately-- are there options on the spot still if I wait for a "weather report" day of? Ideally both flights and cruise combined.

It looks like you will be on Princess. Princess lets you cancel shore excursions approx 48 hours before the tour (make sure you look at the deadlines). I would check the internet before you have to cancel and if it looks bad, then cancel. I have to say the day I went, it was sort of foggy (low, seen on boat) and it provided a great viewing experience as it added to the experience.

It looks like you will be on Princess. Princess lets you cancel shore excursions approx 48 hours before the tour (make sure you look at the deadlines). I would check the internet before you have to cancel and if it looks bad, then cancel. I have to say the day I went, it was sort of foggy (low, seen on boat) and it provided a great viewing experience as it added to the experience.

Cool-- thanks.

Foggy might be good, as I'm kind of scared of heights:)