A different Rome hotel question

Hi Gang,

Thanks in advance for your help.

We will be arriving at the Rome airport on Saturday - the cruise leaves from Civitavecchia on Sunday. So, I thought that instead of going into Rome for 1 nite, I could stay somewhere between the airport and the port. Does anyone have an idea for me?

Hi Gang,

We will be arriving at the Rome airport on Saturday - the cruise leaves from Civitavecchia on Sunday. So, I thought that instead of going into Rome for 1 nite, I could stay somewhere between the airport and the port. Does anyone have an idea for me?

There are like only 3 hotels near Civitavecchia, but that would be doable if you aren't interested in sightseeing in Rome. I believe the cost to transfer from the airport to Civitavecchia is about the same as from Rome to Civitavecchia. Do a google search for accommodation in Civitavecchia. I thought of doing that, but we are going to be in Rome 2 days pre-cruise and I didn't want to have to travel back and forth.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Stay at Fiumicino. There are several hotels in town (5-10 minutes from the airport) or at one of the airport hotels (a couple of Hiltons). The town of Fiumicino is nice with very good restaurants. Also, the beach is right there. You can also visit Ostia Antica which is nearby and very impressive. Rent a car for the day. Distances are short. You could also drive yourself on Sunday to Civitavecchia and return the car there (try Europcar).

Stay at Fiumicino. There are several hotels in town (5-10 minutes from the airport) or at one of the airport hotels (a couple of Hiltons). The town of Fiumicino is nice with very good restaurants. Also, the beach is right there. You can also visit Ostia Antica which is nearby and very impressive. Rent a car for the day. Distances are short. You could also drive yourself on Sunday to Civitavecchia and return the car there (try Europcar).

WOW! I was just quoted $438 for 16 & 17 Oct '07. Of course I don't know your budget, but I think you'd be better off just taking the shuttle from the Airport to Civitavecchia for 120 EUR and just spend the day around there.

agabbymama,

Not sure what that quote was for. Is it for the hotel? (the original poster, WJBonds, was looking for just one night), is it for the car? Keep looking. I'm sure you can do better.

If you were looking for hotel rooms at the airport, the Hilton Garden Inn is about 100 euros/night less than the regular Hilton. However, do a search for hotels in Fiumicino or Ostia for the one night. There are a number of nice two- or three-star non-American-chain hotels that are much more reasonably priced. They are all less than 10 miles to the airport.

Day car rentals out of the airport with return to the airport are not that expensive. If you keep the car overnight to drive to Civitavecchia (less than an hour or 40 miles) you may pay more, but it should compare favorably to transfer companies or cruise ship transfers. Go to viamichelin.com to get driving directions to all those places. Don't forget, after a night in a more pleasant place than Civitavecchia, you can still take one of the standard transfers to the ship if you don't want to drive 40 easy miles.

Hi Gang,

Check with tripadvisor dot com for Civitavecchia. The one hotel which was highly recommended was Hotel Traiano. I have booked the night before our upcoming November cruise and the price was 85 euros which includes breakfeast. You can also make arrangements with them to pick you up at the airport, the charge for that is 90 euros for 2-3 passangers.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful cruise!

The easiest thing to do would be to stay at the Hilton in the Rome Airport and relax before you leave for the ship on Sunday. There are lots of posts from people who have stayed there on this board. Just put "Hilton Rome Airport" in the search mode at the top of the page.

Archived