worst part of booking 1a or IS cabin...

extreme

I plan on going on the liberty in oct or nov, my uncle will be joining us. since this is his first cruise he would like the least expensive cabin, he will be solo which makes it morefor him then us splitting the bill. now to my question what is the worst case and best case of booking a 1a or is cabin i would like any input you can give me. also any one done this cruise at this time of year? thanks everyone!!!!

:D so very true,thats why i went from booking ov to is cabins saved $300 last cruise . but i always had a cabin # the day i booked the cruise,i didnt feel comfortable leaving it up to luck on which cabin i recieved.

now to my question what is the worst case and best case of booking a 1a

I can only report on the "best case" situations, as that's all I've experienced on my numerous voyages in a 1A cabin.:) Not all 1A cabins are equivalent, so the earlier you book the better your chances of getting some of the "choice" ones. Some of them are right beside other passengers who are paying a lot more. If someone is absolutely determined to have two beds that can be put together, then booking 1A may not be the best plan (since only a few of them accomodate that).

My ability to cruise as often as I do (and have a wonderful time) is completly due to booking this type of cabin as early as possible each time.

I can only report on the "best case" situations, as that's all I've experienced on my numerous voyages in a 1A cabin.:) Not all 1A cabins are equivalent, so the earlier you book the better your chances of getting some of the "choice" ones. Some of them are right beside other passengers who are paying a lot more. If someone is absolutely determined to have two beds that can be put together, then booking 1A may not be the best plan (since only a few of them accomodate that).

My ability to cruise as often as I do (and have a wonderful time) is completly due to booking this type of cabin as early as possible each time.

hmmm guess i'll have to see if he dont mind a twin bed :D, i believe he has a king bed at home hahaha

I plan on going on the liberty in oct or nov, my uncle will be joining us. since this is his first cruise he would like the least expensive cabin, he will be solo which makes it morefor him then us splitting the bill. now to my question what is the worst case and best case of booking a 1a or is cabin i would like any input you can give me. also any one done this cruise at this time of year? thanks everyone!!!!

Worst case: You get a 1a cabin (inside) which is smaller than most. For a single person, well worth the "gamble"

Best case: You will usually get upgraded, mostly to another inside but dare to dream.

Either way you are saving a ton of money -- I always book the lowest GTY available.

Worst case: You get a 1a cabin (inside) which is smaller than most. For a single person, well worth the "gamble"

Best case: You will usually get upgraded, mostly to another inside but dare to dream.

Either way you are saving a ton of money -- I always book the lowest GTY available.

ok. and if he books today he should get an upgrade since they have that p1s code option for today only.

ok. and if he books today he should get an upgrade since they have that p1s code option for today only.

The one day sale doesnt apply to 1a cabins. You would have to book a 4a or above.

If you have a TA have them check to see if cabin 2462 or 2465 is available..those are highly coveted 1a cabins, with oceanview cabins and 2 twin beds.

The one day sale doesnt apply to 1a cabins. You would have to book a 4a or above.

If you have a TA have them check to see if cabin 2462 or 2465 is available..those are highly coveted 1a cabins, with oceanview cabins and 2 twin beds.

THANKS I JUST NOTICED THAT MYSELF:( O WELL!

The best part is with a 1A guarantee you can pay only half the solo supplement as you would with the IS guarantee, and cruise for about the same price. We have inquired about two 1As, for a solo cruiser, at a rate of $449 on the Conquest with the solo supplement of 50% of the cruise portion, it comes to $639, on the $269 Ecstasy with a 1A guarantee, it comes to $416 I think she said. ...and with the guarantee on Ecstasy good chance of a upgrade.

Okay, here is my 2 cents..brace yourself b/c I seem to think I'm worth AT LEAST a buck fifty.

The 1a Cabins are usually bunk beds but I *think* they can sometimes be twins that CANNOT be configured into a queen...aka a long skinny room. Some 1a's are smaller than the standard cabin..so slightly less room. 1As are sometimes all the way at the bough (bow?) or in the case of the Fantasy, they're right smack in the middle (which to me looks like a fantastic location with few "swaying" issues, and near to the central elevators..the best set to be near!). The upside to a 1A, you can usually book it at the same rate as you would a IS, but the difference is you get to pick your cabin!

When you book a IS, you are gty a 4A or better...which means no getting booked in a 1A. You'll have a slightly larger room that may, or may not, have accomadations for up to 4 people. Generally Carnival is smart about taking two people booking a gty and sticking them into a room set up to sleep 2, not 4, so as to save those rooms for the larger crowds. Really it doesn't make any difference in the newer ships because instead of an unsightly foldup bunker, the upper bunks actually retract into the ceiling. So even if they put you in a room with upper bunks, you won't have to look at or bump your head on them in the case of the liberty.

Okay..so the benefit? You get a bigger room than a 1A (more space). You also get AT WORST a 4A room for LESS than the price of a 4A. Plus..if you're a gambling man, there is a bit of a gamble worked into the equation. I, myself, am not a gambler, BUT I am a heck of a bargain hunter and anytime I think I *might* get something extra for free...I start to drool. We booked IS on the Liberty last December for a May cruise. We were upgraded to a 6A (upper deck). Much closer to where all the action is! The price of a 6A when I booked? Nearly $150 more PER PERSON.

The downside, they can stick you where they want. But I don't really consider that so bad. I know you hear alot of people complain about their location or noise or distance from elevators. You are going to put 100 miles on your pedometer on this cruise regardless of where your room is located. And as for noise..most of the commotion goes on during waking hours, so its only really a problem if you plan to sleep your cruise away. I did notice a serious vibration from the theatre below me..but only during the vegas shows which ended at 10:30-11. The midnight comedy shows lack pyrotechnics and blasting surround sound acompanyments so, I didn't feel anything at that point. Of course, if I was in my room that early it was only b/c I was completely wiped out! (aka...wasted):rolleyes:

HTH

Okay, here is my 2 cents..brace yourself b/c I seem to think I'm worth AT LEAST a buck fifty.

The 1a Cabins are usually bunk beds but I *think* they can sometimes be twins that CANNOT be configured into a queen...aka a long skinny room. Some 1a's are smaller than the standard cabin..so slightly less room. 1As are sometimes all the way at the bough (bow?) or in the case of the Fantasy, they're right smack in the middle (which to me looks like a fantastic location with few "swaying" issues, and near to the central elevators..the best set to be near!). The upside to a 1A, you can usually book it at the same rate as you would a IS, but the difference is you get to pick your cabin!

When you book a IS, you are gty a 4A or better...which means no getting booked in a 1A. You'll have a slightly larger room that may, or may not, have accomadations for up to 4 people. Generally Carnival is smart about taking two people booking a gty and sticking them into a room set up to sleep 2, not 4, so as to save those rooms for the larger crowds. Really it doesn't make any difference in the newer ships because instead of an unsightly foldup bunker, the upper bunks actually retract into the ceiling. So even if they put you in a room with upper bunks, you won't have to look at or bump your head on them in the case of the liberty.

Okay..so the benefit? You get a bigger room than a 1A (more space). You also get AT WORST a 4A room for LESS than the price of a 4A. Plus..if you're a gambling man, there is a bit of a gamble worked into the equation. I, myself, am not a gambler, BUT I am a heck of a bargain hunter and anytime I think I *might* get something extra for free...I start to drool. We booked IS on the Liberty last December for a May cruise. We were upgraded to a 6A (upper deck). Much closer to where all the action is! The price of a 6A when I booked? Nearly $150 more PER PERSON.

The downside, they can stick you where they want. But I don't really consider that so bad. I know you hear alot of people complain about their location or noise or distance from elevators. You are going to put 100 miles on your pedometer on this cruise regardless of where your room is located. And as for noise..most of the commotion goes on during waking hours, so its only really a problem if you plan to sleep your cruise away. I did notice a serious vibration from the theatre below me..but only during the vegas shows which ended at 10:30-11. The midnight comedy shows lack pyrotechnics and blasting surround sound acompanyments so, I didn't feel anything at that point. Of course, if I was in my room that early it was only b/c I was completely wiped out! (aka...wasted):rolleyes:

HTH

:D your 2 cents made me laugh. good write up,gave me much more input. the comment about the liberty though i'm confused all '' is '' cabins have bunks?

nooo....

IS just means you can be assigned ANY room (with the exception of a 1A) but that you are likely to have an inside. Many of the inside cabins are set up to accomadate four. Some have one bunk and a couch (instead of two upper bunks) but I believe thats mostly balcony/ocean view rooms. These are't your typical bunks (like the ones you will sometimes see in 1A cabins). They are NOT connected to the bottom bed and they do not brace the floor. They flip down from the wall above. On the liberty, if you have upper bunks..they actually come down from a hole in the ceiling...ummmm think attic ladder. Does that help? You don't see them at all unless they are pulled out. Where as the ones that are attatched to the wall, you will see the flip side of the bed...think flip up shelving. Make any sense? Mabey I should find you some pictures. :D

Do people really spend much time in their staterooms??? The only time we spend there is showering or sleeping! No problem in any stateroom with noise.....all the alcohol seems to drown out any extraneous noise!:p :p

nooo....

IS just means you can be assigned ANY room (with the exception of a 1A) but that you are likely to have an inside. Many of the inside cabins are set up to accomadate four. Some have one bunk and a couch (instead of two upper bunks) but I believe thats mostly balcony/ocean view rooms. These are't your typical bunks (like the ones you will sometimes see in 1A cabins). They are NOT connected to the bottom bed and they do not brace the floor. They flip down from the wall above. On the liberty, if you have upper bunks..they actually come down from a hole in the ceiling...ummmm think attic ladder. Does that help? You don't see them at all unless they are pulled out. Where as the ones that are attatched to the wall, you will see the flip side of the bed...think flip up shelving. Make any sense? Mabey I should find you some pictures. :D

ok i got it :p thank you for the verrrryyy clear explanation,this is why i like cc so much!

Bottom line is IF you got a IS with bunks, the bunks are in addition to the regular bed. You would just ignore them if there are only two of you.

That confused me for a while too, and I asked and was told the ones with bunks they were talking about, you still have a regular bed, those are the family cabins for 3 or 4 people, so you probably wouldnt get them with a IS guarantee, families need them so its not common you would get them with a guarantee if there are only 2 of you in the cabin.

Bottom line is IF you got a IS with bunks, the bunks are in addition to the regular bed. You would just ignore them if there are only two of you.

That confused me for a while too, and I asked and was told the ones with bunks they were talking about, you still have a regular bed, those are the family cabins for 3 or 4 people, so you probably wouldnt get them with a IS guarantee, families need them so its not common you would get them with a guarantee if there are only 2 of you in the cabin.

in this perticular room it would be my uncle by himself, me and my gf have a 4f booked alreaddy. just wanted to clear that up . thanks for your input:)

The upside to a 1A, you can usually book it at the same rate as you would a IS, but the difference is you get to pick your cabin!

When you book a IS, you are gty a 4A or better...which means no getting booked in a 1A.

I agree with the above statements, except you DO NOT want to book a specific cabin in 1a unless you can get one of those "special" 1a cabins with a porthole. Always opt for 1a GTY and you will usually get upgraded.

in this perticular room it would be my uncle by himself, me and my gf have a 4f booked alreaddy. just wanted to clear that up . thanks for your input:)

Right, but probably your uncle would rather have a queen sized bed to himself and not a single twin size is what I was saying.

If you booked the 1A guarantee and linked it to your 4F, good chance they would give him a cabin on the same deck, probably another 4F and a big bed all to himself, not just a lower bunk as the 1As often have if you pick one.

Hard to explain, sorry if I wasn't clear what I meant.

Right, but probably your uncle would rather have a queen sized bed to himself and not a single twin size is what I was saying.

If you booked the 1A guarantee and linked it to your 4F, good chance they would give him a cabin on the same deck, probably another 4F and a big bed all to himself, not just a lower bunk as the 1As often have if you pick one.

Hard to explain, sorry if I wasn't clear what I meant.

not necessarily. a friend and i both booked 1a gtys through different agents but had our reservations linked. she got a 1a on deck 6, i got a 4f on deck 8.

sometimes it works out, sometimes not.

not necessarily. a friend and i both booked 1a gtys through different agents but had our reservations linked. she got a 1a on deck 6, i got a 4f on deck 8.

sometimes it works out, sometimes not.

That's why I said "good chance" which to me means not necessarily.

I think I said the same thing didn't I? Iv heard Carnival will try and put you on the same floor that's all I was saying, but no, not always. We agree.

Archived