When is the best time to book New England fall 2008?

EmmaJean

When is the best time to purchase a New England cruise?

We just came back from our first cruise and now we are thinking of our next one...probably for fall 2008 to New England...maybe out of New York

We want to find a great deal, of course. We just sailed with Princess, and I noticed that this year's fall cruises are cheaper than the ones for next year. Is it best to wait until they have finished this season before looking for next season?

Thanks

The folks from New England will chime in I'm sure - but that cruise was our first, and our last ones :-) We went 5 years ago in early Nov, and we went last fall in late Nov. We missed the best fall foliage in both cases - it varies so much from year to year. BUT - they were still the best cruises we've been on. We love the ports, we even love the weather :-) One thing that we found last year, being on the last cruise of the year that went there - many of the shops and stores closed down for the season before we got there (by a week or so). We were going to go this year, but the prices were so good last year we moved it up. The weather and the foliage are a crap shoot week by week - get a good deal and just enjoy it - wish we were going along!

To see fall foliage, it really depends on where you plan to view it. The foliage starts changing (in general) towards the end of September in Northern VT, NH and ME. The best time for foliage on the New England coast is generally mid-October, the 2nd or 3rd week. By Halloween, it's mostly gone from the Boston area.

As for when to book for the best price, these cruises are popular and the ships sell out. I'd book as soon as I found a cabin and price I'm willing to pay. If you wait, you'll find the available cabins limited and the prices have gone up. Yes, there are deals to be found on certain sailings later on but I wouldn't count on them.

We booked a mini-suite for the 18th Sept sailing this year in early Feb. and even by then most of the port cabins had been sold. Everything from a balcony cabin up are now all wait-listed. I feel for this port intensive cruise a balcony is almost a must.

Val

We had minis on our two New England cruises and loved the balcony - even if it was chilly. Sailing away from NYC sipping on champagne...... And when we left Boston we went up the the Skywalkers Lounge and had a drink sitting right by the back window as we sailed out of Boston Harbor - what a sight.

We are already booked for Fall 2008 on the Caribbean Princess out of NYC on 10/5. I always book early so I can get the cabin that I want and have plenty of time to pay the cruise off before we go. I usually just book with my TA and get a group rate, and if prices drop or a special comes up, she can still get it for me (unless it is limited to new bookings). I am finding that EVERY recent Princess cruise I have gone on has been fully booked way in advance. I do not think that waiting gets you a better deal. It ends up limiting what cabins you can get.

We are already booked for Fall 2008 on the Caribbean Princess out of NYC on 10/5. I always book early so I can get the cabin that I want and have plenty of time to pay the cruise off before we go. I usually just book with my TA and get a group rate, and if prices drop or a special comes up, she can still get it for me (unless it is limited to new bookings). I am finding that EVERY recent Princess cruise I have gone on has been fully booked way in advance. I do not think that waiting gets you a better deal. It ends up limiting what cabins you can get.

So, do you always travel with a group then?

How early did you guys book? Have the prices already gone up?

Where do you like to find the prices?

Prices for the Canada/New England cruise typically do not vary much. The fall season is very short, there are a limited number of ships doing this cruise, and a high demand. In other words, no need for the cruise lines to do much discounting. As Joyride indicated, book early to ensure you get the cabin you want.

So, do you always travel with a group then?

How early did you guys book? Have the prices already gone up?

Where do you like to find the prices?

I would book as soon as you can. If prices go down TAs usually give you the benefit of the reduction. As far as pricing we aren't allowed to recommend TAs on these boards, but you can start by looking under the cruise agencies link at the top of the page.

When I mentioned getting a "Group Rate" I did not mean that I always travel with a group. The way I understand it, Travel Agents can form "Groups" on certain cruises that they pick and this enables them to offer a discounted rate or certain perks on the block of rooms that they hold for the group. You may get a shipboard credit, a small amount off of the cruise fare ($50-$100 or so) and other perks like a free photo, chocolate covered strawberries, etc.

The TA doesn't put us all together in some kind of group for travel or anything, we just get the rate offered for our particular cabin. If you book a full suite you really don't get any discount usually, but you may still get some little perks from the TA.

Before I used a TA, I booked direct with Princess a couple of times. I enjoy using a TA because they can throw in little perks that Princess doesn't just automatically give to you.

I honestly don't think there are any tremendous "last minute" deals to be had these days because the ships always fill up.

Good luck. If you don't have a TA in mind, I would just get several quotes for price & perks for the cruise you want, and get it in writing - then book.

Archived