phone cards for crew members

ricruisers

Hi,

I remember the great suggestion of buying phone cards as gifts for some of the crew members, especially those who take care of the rooms. I thought it was a great idea. Just a quick question, how many do you typically purchase? I wouldn't want to leave anyone out. Thanks for your help.:)

I used to do phone cards but then I noticed in some ports the phones closest to the ship would only take cards that they sold. So I have reverted to plain old cash. I leave a couple of bucks a day for the room steward along with a piece of Russell Stover or snack sized candy and a note thanking him for whatever nice thing he has done for me--hustle up wine glasses, keep my "auxiliary" ice bucket full, extra copy of the daily newsletter, keeping the cabin neat, whatever. I will also ask him if there is anything in port he might need me to pick up for him. They almost always say "no" but occasionally one of them will ask for a certain type of snack food they can only get there. I slip a couple of bucks and candy to the waiter and busboy also. When I did the phone cards, I gave a $10 one to the steward, waiter, and busboy midway through the cruise. At the end of the cruise, if I have an exceptionally good crew member serving me, I send a note to the purser's desk and also to headquarters. This helps them get promotions and extra time off.

Tucker in Texas

The crew knows how to get phone cards for where they need to call better than you do. They also can get special ones on the ship. Its better to give them cash and let them sort it out themselves.

No coins, no two dollar bills and no old bills- crisp new bills are best.

The crew knows how to get phone cards for where they need to call better than you do. They also can get special ones on the ship. Its better to give them cash and let them sort it out themselves.

No coins, no two dollar bills and no old bills- crisp new bills are best.

I fully agree, give them cash. Then, they can decide how best to use the money. Plus, the phone cards are not always for all countries. We have a friend on-board a ship and they definitely have special ones.

Living here in Hilo, we see the crew members (both American and foreign) in Walmart whenever there is a ship in town. I see most of them on cell phones...so I guess the phone cards are not as popular anymore. But, they are all stocking up on different types of snacks, etc. And, they seem to stock up on personal items.Yes...I am nosey...and always curious what they are shopping for!!

So, I am sure slipping them a few bucks for good service is very much appreciated and comes in handy during their Walmart shopping sprees!

I can not figure out why so many people have an aversionto giving cash. Cash is the universal gift that can't go wrong. They don't want food, soveniers (sp?) from your home town, something personal so that they can remember you forever, or anything else.

CASH, CASH, CASH - packs easily and can be used anywhere.

DON

I remember the great suggestion of buying phone cards as gifts for some of the crew members, especially those who take care of the rooms. I thought it was a great idea. Just a quick question, how many do you typically purchase? I wouldn't want to leave anyone out. Thanks for your help.:)

How would you like it if your boss started paying you with phone cards? I thought so...

Give 'em cash.

I will include a piece of candy, though

Tucker in Texas

Still can't avoid the WWII "give candy to the poor children" syndrome. Don't you think that they can afford their own candy and might prefer to pick out what they want?

Again, I would love to be a mind reader when they smile at you and thank you for the junk that they do not want.

DON

That is so true. No one wants your stuff you think is nice. Maybe if they could sell it to make CASH for something they want. I like getting CASH for Christmas from my clients not little things I will never use and throw away. I think most people do not give cash so they can get something very cheap and give it instead of a useful CASH gift. Who Knows though.

Archived