Shoppers-What did you buy at Christmas Markets?

txtravelgal

What were your favorite things to buy at the Christmas markets? Were there any things that you didn't buy but wished you had? And how are the prices?

Any specific tips for special markets? Years ago, I found some beautiful gold braid from Germany here in the US, and I used it on jewelled Christmas ornaments. Did you see anything like that? I am interested in unusual items of good quality--not cheap imports.

I have just started researching the trip. We plan to do the European river cruise sometime in the future during spring or summer, but right now I am looking at Christmas Markets. My focus is mainly shopping and any suggestions will be appreciated.

My Mom and I did the GCT Christmas Markets in 2005 from Basel to Amsterdam. We basically shopped our way down the Rhine and had a blast doing it! While we saw a lot of the same basic stuff at every market, each market also had it's own "personality" and some different things. There were a couple that we termed "eating" markets as it seemed like all they had were different types of food. I collect snowmen ornaments, so I was totally focused on anything snowman. We found some really neat cook books and address books that were made out of handmade paper that were fun. Missed out on the little coo-coo clock charms in Heidleberg and I am still disappointed about that. In addition, we started noticing all the shoe stores and went crazy in them too. Found brands that were a third of the price that we could get at home, the good Italian brands. Think I came home with about 8 pairs of new shoes!

Hope this helps. I'd be happy to answer anything else, but not really sure what you are looking for.

Pam

txtravelgal,

There are a lot of different markets. Most of them are mainly commercial with lots of food stands and stuff you might get cheaper somewhere else (and all made in China). All time favorites on Christmas markets are for sure Christmas ornaments (glass balls, wooden hangers from the Arch Mountains of Saxonia) or wooden figures for a nativity scene. Nutcrackers are very common too. Then there are local specialties like the prune figures. The other type of Christmas markets you can find are artists´ markets where local artists are selling their stuff like pottery, hand made jewellery, candles and more. Food stand are something you shouldn´t miss of course with lots of local specialties.

Pam is absolutely correct about the shoes. European brands (especially the comfort shoes) are much cheaper over here than in the US (like Birkenstock, Josef Seibel, Ecco...). Forget about clothing. It´s pretty much the same over here or even more expensive. Best example: For DD I get a lot of things at the Swedish H&M stores. I saw H&M in the Mall of America in Minneapolis and looked at a dress I got back home: the price tag was USD 9.90. I paid the same amount over here but in EUR!

steamboats

Stupid me. I thought that going to the Christmas markets would mean that we could find exquisite handmade ornaments and other items from that area. I can stay home and buy things from China. Please tell me that you really did see products from local craftsmen and artists. Are the coo-coo clocks made in China, too?

While we did see a lot of "made in china" stickers on things, we were still able to find plenty of locally made stuff too. At least we felt like it was locally made, but who really knows. You just kind of have to hunt for it. The wood crafted stuff really were beautiful. I think it just depends on what you are looking for. Don't be discouraged because the markets really are a lot of fun and you will certainly be in the Christmas spirit after this trip! We are planning another one for 2008.

Are the coo-coo clocks made in China, too?

Sure, most of the are :mad: . To get ones made in Germany you have to go to the Black Forrest... It´s the same with wooden ornaments from the Arch Mountains. Some are real, some are copies. And the nutcrackers...

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hobse,

I agree with you - did you have the one they call "turbo punch" ?

It needs two people to handle it - one who drinks and the other one who carries him back to the ship afterwards. I am planning to go on another Christmas cruise this December ! :D

Hi everyone,

I am going on my first riverboat cruise next year. I was wondering what kind of neat items did you all bring back. I love to shop:p .

I'll be going to Bucharest, Serbia, Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania.

Any ideas would appreciated.

Thanks,

Peggy

TXTRAVELGIRL

Did Christmas Market's December 2004 on Uniworld, Colonge To Nuremberg

Nuremburg To Vienna. Steamboat is right the best Kathe Wohlfahrt is in

Rothenburg (Be sure to visit the Christmas museum.) The other stores we visited were in Heidelberg, Rudesheim and Nuremburg. I am a Santa and

nutcracker collector, I have been collecting for over 30 years. (To be honest I love Christmas and everything that goes with the holidays.). I bought nutcrackers, tablecloth's, teddy bear's, ornament's of straw, glass, wood and pewter. Some were gift's, but needless to say my collection grew.

The table linens are top quaility. (Don't forget your table measurements!)

We had them ship everything 4 large boxes were awaiting us when we arrived

home January 5, 2005. I also bought a Santa tea pot, candle sticks and candles. Have a safe and great trip.

TXTRAVELGIRL

Did Christmas Market's December 2004 on Uniworld, Colonge To Nuremberg

Nuremburg To Vienna. Steamboat is right the best Kathe Wohlfahrt is in

Rothenburg (Be sure to visit the Christmas museum.) The other stores we visited were in Heidelberg, Rudesheim and Nuremburg. I am a Santa and

nutcracker collector, I have been collecting for over 30 years. (To be honest I love Christmas and everything that goes with the holidays.). I bought nutcrackers, tablecloth's, teddy bear's, ornament's of straw, glass, wood and pewter. Some were gift's, but needless to say my collection grew.

The table linens are top quaility. (Don't forget your table measurements!)

We had them ship everything 4 large boxes were awaiting us when we arrived

home January 5, 2005. I also bought a Santa tea pot, candle sticks and candles. Have a safe and great trip.

Wow! You bought all that in one trip? How were the prices? That's a ton of stuff! You ARE a shopper!

Peggy

tban,

DH tried the "turbo punch" (kicked up gluhwein) but not until the last stop in Vienna, I stuck with the regular. We came home with a collection of mugs. We are looking forward to going back during Christmas season also, if not this year then next.

I'm a shopper, but I think the best experience of the Christmas markets is just walking around, especially at night. The food is great -- you can eat a full meal at the stand-up booths. And, each city has certain specialties, although gluhwein is a favorite everywhere.

Most of the markets have local choirs singing -- and often the carols are in English. You'll see a lot of locals at the markets, especially the young folks and especially at night. The larger markets (i.e., Nuremburg) often have a special section just for kids -- kids of all ages!

In terms of what to buy -- wooden ornaments are very traditional as are the nativity scenes and wooden toys. However, you do need to look carefully regarding where they are made. It's really no different than a craft fair in a US city -- some of the stuff is locally made by local artisans and some is cheap imitation.

Re nutcrackers and mobiles, price is often a good guide (though not foolproof) and a lot depends on what you want. If you just want a nice (cheap) souvenir, you can find that. Better quality and craftsmanship will typically cost you more. If you have time, don't buy anything on your first pass through the markets - just look. You should get a pretty good sense of what's quality and what's not -- and then you can go back.

For those wanting to ship -- shipping costs are very steep and you probably won't get your items in time for this Christmas unless you airmail and that cost is prohibitive. So, do ask about shipping cost before you decide to buy.

We are thinking of doing the Amadeus cruise from Budapest to Prague on Dec. 1st. We live just north of Houston, TX where it is very warm. Should I take woolen clothes and a heavy coat? How about special boots for snow?

I'm clueless.

txtravelgal,

You definitely need some warm clothes. I´d suggest a rain/wind proof jacket with a zip off fleece inlet. With an additional sweater you should be able to cope even very cold days. You may take some warm underwear too and warm socks. I don´t think you´ll need special snow boots. But you should take shoes which can cope colder temps and which are water proof. You might face some snow but that´s no guarantee. Anyway unless it´s a very unlikely heavy snow storm sidewalks should be cleared.

steamboats

We are thinking of doing the Amadeus cruise from Budapest to Prague on Dec. 1st. We live just north of Houston, TX where it is very warm. Should I take woolen clothes and a heavy coat? How about special boots for snow?

I'm clueless.

txtravelgal - We did the Amadeus Christmas Markets Cruise (Dec 13-20, Budapest to Prague) last year. The first afternoon in Budapest was unseasonably warm (60s). The next day was in the high 40s and we ended the tour wearing coats with scarfs in Prague. The only snow we saw was bussing into Salzburg. (Innsbruck had no snow) I was told that the conditions were warmer than usual but perhaps Al Gore is right. You can see photos of the trip at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski

We bought some jewelry made with Czech garnets in Prague. There are lots of shops just off the Old Town Square who will bargain a bit.

WIT

Archived