Dog sledding in Skagway

gszenacm

Is it really worth $359 per person? Temsco just sent me their prices, though it sounds like booking through the ship is about the same price.

It sounds like a neat idea, but is it really worth it?

It won't break the bank...the chances of us going back to Alaska anytime soon are slim to none...so it is now or never...

Could I get some opinions from those who have done it? Are there less expensive ways of doing this?

This is a highly subjective question and dependent on what one can comfortably afford - I wouldn't go into debt for it...But, we just did this excursion last week in Skagway through Temsco with our two children and it was pretty spectacular. I will say though that it was a picture perfect day weather-wise, and we were able to get a bit of an extended "flightseeing" tour because of the clarity of the weather and the scenery was breathtaking, so the trip was especially worthwhile. Not so sure if I'd think it so worthwhile otherwise. The people up at the camp - Matt and Sarah - were really nice also and we all had a great time.

When we booked ,it was cheaper to book directly with Temsco, and also made for just our helicopter going up there at the time we were scheduled, making for a very mellow experience both in the Temsco office and up at the dog camp.

we did the dog sledding on Denver Glacier out of skagway--the experience is one I will never forget-it was warm on the glacier and the helicopter trip is alos fantastic--I have some great video taken from the chopper. Well worth the expense--hope you get to try it as the warm weather may force the camps to close early.

Was in Skagway last week on NCL Spirit. Our first attempt at dogsledding two years ago was cancelled because winds prohibited the ship / NCL Sky from docking. Were able to go last week. Fantastic view, brought tears to my eyes as we topped the last ridge to the camp. BUT, because of the warm weather, they were moving the camp again that afternoon. Fifth time this year. Didn't look like there was going to be much snow cover left to move to. If you get the opportunity, do it. You won't be disappointed. I'll try for earlier in the season next trip.

Let me just say, we did the tour you are talking about and we did it on a rainy day! It was my favorite tour and I wouldn't have changed it for the world. We got wet in the rain and had a blast on the sled with all the wonderful dogs!

If you can swing the $. I'd say go for it! You won't regret it!

I finally decided to go for it and even though I just asked TEMSCO AIR about this tour as recent as Aug 16, this is the response I got when I tried to book with them last night:

For safety reasons we are no longer operating the Dog Sled Camp for this

season.

Anyone else offer these tours??

I just got this reply from Alaskatours.com

The Glacier Helicopter Dog Sledding Excursion out of Girdwood (just

south of Anchorage - 35-40 minute drive) is available at all times on the

28th and at all times except for 1:45pm on the 30th. The description and

pricing is as follows:

Glacier Dog Sledding Adventure Tour 4

$359 adult $329 child under 12

The greatest Alaskan experience of all - dog sledding on a glacier! Only

minutes away from Anchorage in the resort village of Girdwood, fly by

helicopter to the unique glacier base camp which serves as a summer-time

training ground for Iditarod sled dogs. Learn about mushing from a 9-time

Iditarod trail veteran. Here you will have the chance to drive the team

yourself along a spectacular 2-mile glacier trail. 2 person minimum.

Transfer from Anchorage not included.

Operates June 1 though August 31, 2004

YIPPEE!!! We get to go on this excursion!!!

I wouldn't use the term rip-off, critterchick, but some people think it's more than it actually is. I'm a big fan of petting puppies at the pound! The same dog ride, if you get to the Iditarod Center at Willow, is $5, with puppy-petting often thrown in for free.

Murray

I've seen pictures online of the ones without snow...sleds on wheels. The thought of that does NOT sound appealing to me, specially when I know I can do it in the snow on top of a glacier. It is a little pricey, but this is probably the last time we will be there and I don't want to regret NOT doing something.

Doing the tour without the snow was really not an option for us...

We did both rides on our recent Alaska trip - one with snow, one without. There was never any question that one would substitute for the other, and no way could you trade them off. But, we thought that if for some reason the glacier dog sledding was cancelled then at least for the kids sake we would have done something along those lines. We were in Seward and Seavey's has a place there for the "summertime" ride. Even without snow, it was still a lot of fun, especially since he won the Iditarod this year and a couple of dogs from the winning team were pulling our sled on wheels. It was also an informative visit and the kids enjoyed playing with the dogs, plus grandma had no desire to go in a helicopter so at least the kids got to enjoy that with her.

That being said, there's still no comparison to the real thing which we were fortunate enough to experience a few days later!

Well, DH was once in training to be a helicopter pilot & has noooo desire to go up in one. I'm not all that crazy about the idea, either. We'll probably stick with the husky & buggy ride, but I'm glad I know what it's about going in, otherwise I might have been disappointed.

Thanks for the info!

Archived