Enough about discounting - move on

TWELVEOHONE

"I get email all day from new members who are afraid, yes AFRAID, to post here because of the sarcastic comments that are made frequently to anyone who is new and asks a question that might have been asked before.

Those are "the people" in "the people that dream these topics up"

Posted by CruisingIsLife

I have appreciated, enjoyed, and benefited from all of your thoughtful and tireless effort on this board on behalf of cruise lovers, particularly Princess cruise lovers (and I am certain many more feel the same respect and appreciation for your help and insight).

However, in this instance, I truly am not understanding what your above comment, and your entire above clarification, have to do with the very real possibility of price fixing on future cruises.

I, and others, have always defended the right of anyone on this board to post their comments, positive or negative, without fear of being intimidated or ridiculed, or summarily shut-down (as I have often witnessed and been the target of).

But, what does your reference to intolerance have to do with the consequence of possible price fixing and our freedom to discuss it here on these boards?

There is something missing from this picture.

(After I posted this response to your comments, you removed your post entirely....?)

So, one travel industry attorney says that, in his opinion, what the cruise lines are doing doesn't violate antitrust laws. So what? I've been an attorney for 20 years and I think it does. I have stated why I think so with great specificity and have cited to authority to back up my view. I have yet to see any authority on the other side. They have their opinion and I've got mine. We both have a right to say what we think within the rules of this online forum. It's called freedom of speech.

I for one will continue to say whatever I like within the rules of this forum. If my posts annoy anyone, they can set their programming to ignore all posts from that annoying Monk guy. No one is being forced to read anything they don't want to read. I cannot imagine a more important topic to those who cruise frequently than an attempt to raise the prices of cruising across the board. I think this is a healthy debate and a free exchange of ideas. Sorry if some find it annoying or tedious.

The Monk

Ok let me be more direct.

I get email all day from new members who are afraid, yes AFRAID, to post here because of the sarcastic comments that are made frequently to anyone who is new and asks a question that might have been asked before.

Chris, I know I haven't been around for a long time, but I have seen very few instances of people being slammed for asking an already asked question. I think most of us realize there was no workable search feature on the old boards, and few understand how to use the search feature on these boards. Yes, I do get irritated by people who would rather ask a question again rather than look down just the front page (or back to a question they've already asked themselves!) to see if it's been answered. But I just don't answer their question. If there are sarcastic comments made frequently, I guess I'm just missing them. And I have to agree with Steve (for once!). Any adult so timid that they won't ask a question in an anonymous forum like this one has more problems than just getting information. Shame on anyone who's rude to a newcomer, but this is tarring an awful lot of people with a brush very few deserve. Donia

. Shame on anyone who's rude to a newcomer, but this is tarring an awful lot of people with a brush very few deserve. Donia

Shame on anyone rude to a long time contributor as well.. being new is no excuse for having an abrasive manner.

Chris,

It's not only NEW members that are afraid to post. There are certain subjects that we know not to mention or ask about. I'm have an issue right now, If I were to post it , I would get slammed...

I started a thread about two weeks ago that caused me such grieve by ugly e-mails that I ask Laura to remove it:( .

Now, this I do find extremely upsetting. I have no idea what the topic was (and I don't need to know), but there's absolutely no excuse for sending anyone nasty emails. If you're going to be ugly, at least have the backbone to do it out in the open on the boards and give others a chance to refute your statements. I'm proud of the fact that you came back to the boards after an experience like that, Brenda. Just keep on postin' Donia

Now, this I do find extremely upsetting. I have no idea what the topic was (and I don't need to know), but there's absolutely no excuse for sending anyone nasty emails. If you're going to be ugly, at least have the backbone to do it out in the open on the boards and give others a chance to refute your statements. I'm proud of the fact that you came back to the boards after an experience like that, Brenda. Just keep on postin' Donia

I agree that is inexcuseable and can happily report never having sent one or received one.

I agree that is inexcuseable and can happily report never having sent one or received one.
Even though we have established that you are terribly shy, Steve, no one would ever accuse you of being sneaky! :D

I have seen posts where customers report to have saved hundreds of dollars

through either on line or personal TA's. Is this all due to TA's taking less of a

commission? Given the vast differences in price, do TA's really make that much of a commission, they could sell a cruise for hundreds of dollars less then the next TA does? Do they then try and make up that money some where else?

If this practice is no longer allowed, do we end up paying the price advertised in the cruise brouchures or does the cruise line set up discounts. I have to say if I were forced to pay the prices offered in the brouchures, I would have to take a lot fewer cruises.

If someone could explain how it is now done compared to the way it is being proposed, I would really appreciate it.

Carol

I have seen posts where customers report to have saved hundreds of dollars

through either on line or personal TA's. Is this all due to TA's taking less of a

commission? Given the vast differences in price, do TA's really make that much of a commission, they could sell a cruise for hundreds of dollars less then the next TA does? Do they then try and make up that money some where else?

If this practice is no longer allowed, do we end up paying the price advertised in the cruise brouchures or does the cruise line set up discounts. I have to say if I were forced to pay the prices offered in the brouchures, I would have to take a lot fewer cruises.

If someone could explain how it is now done compared to the way it is being proposed, I would really appreciate it.

Carol

First, Princess hasn't done any of this. Second TA's can get up to 18% commission and the big agencies get better "tier" pricing so that alone can make for a big differnce. If you book two people in a cabin that sells for $1800 pp and they get it for $1650 based on volume and rebate you 15 of the 18% then it adds UP BIG. Add group space and that can be a real net difffernce of over $500. How it would work... is that you would get NONE of that, you would get the same price everywhere, and some would use the CL instead of a TA which benefits the CL a LOT. It takes real $ away from most of the experienced shoppers to "benefit" the new and perhaps naive.

Dear Monk, et al

How goes it?

Keep fighting those windmills! Especially for those of us without the resources to rile against the bulldozing power of corporate big business; we will join you with our voices.

(posted on Monk's thread on this subject, as well.)

Dear Monk,

What I meant by "fighting windmills" was that Don Quixote was an idealist, fighting against all odds the harsh and brutal realities of his day. Idealism, the david and goliath scenario of society, is an impressive and highly admirable trait, especially in the 21st century.

It was a sincere compliment.

(Posted as well on the thread Monk started on this topic)

Archived