Enough about discounting - move on

TWELVEOHONE

The otrher cruise lines will also have a no discounting no rebating policy like RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival, so live with it.

Interesting points

Mark Pestronk, a travel industry attorny saus that the cruise lines have every legal right to do this. They set prices and commission structures to agents. Period so forget legal action.

Scott Barry a cruise line analyst with Credit Suisse First Boston said that "discouraging rebating was healthy" So it would appear that the cruise lines are making a good decision.

Bottom line its done and like it or not nothing you can do about it, so lets drop the subject and move on.

and thanks for posting this on multiple forums.

BTW..your computer has a back button..I suggest you use it if you see threads you have no interest in

Personally, I don't really care too much about the topic, but I have enough sense not to read them..if others want to talk about it ad nauseum, who am I to tell people not to talk about it?

The otrher cruise lines will also have a no discounting no rebating policy like RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival, so live with it.

Interesting points

Mark Pestronk, a travel industry attorny saus that the cruise lines have every legal right to do this. They set prices and commission structures to agents. Period so forget legal action.

Scott Barry a cruise line analyst with Credit Suisse First Boston said that "discouraging rebating was healthy" So it would appear that the cruise lines are making a good decision.

Bottom line its done and like it or not nothing you can do about it, so lets drop the subject and move on.

How is a post designed to incite a debate "moving on"?

Interesting points

I guess we'll move on when we're darn good and ready to move on. Be a little respectful and maybe someone will listen!!

What is your problem exactly and why do you care what we discuss?

Interesting points

Interesting points

You could do what I do, if a topic doesn't interest me I don't read it! Being fairly new here I haven't seen much outright rudeness seems a shame to start now? When people are tired of this discussion it will fade to the bottom of the board on it's own accord.

Interesting points

Good luck telling this bunch what to do buddy.

The darn thing is I think you've got a point there but it got lost in the shuffle didn't it?

If you're going to come here with a topic like this you better be armed for bear 'cause that's just what you're going to get. In this arena you'll need to cite your sources completely, get rid of the typos and construct your argument in a logical, shove-it-down-their-throat manner or you're doomed.

Probably not worth it huh?

Unfortunately we don't have much else we can do but "hit the back button" as mentioned above and "move on", to a lighter topic.

The people that dream these topics up live inside them and just wait for someone like you to come along to pounce on (as illustrated by the above replies)

IMHO, The whole mess is a big distraction from a treasure trove of good cruise information.

You're right and I gotta tip my hat to you for having the guts to say something about it...I'd LOVE to read a review you wrote someday

Sorry that I upset you all but I enjoy reading the different posting on different cruise lines and I got so dam tired of seeing nothing but gribbing about the no discount policy.

Not many on Princess but you should see the ones on RCCL and Celebrity

Sorry

Sorry that I upset you all but I enjoy reading the different posting on different cruise lines and I got so dam tired of seeing nothing but gribbing about the no discount policy.

Not many on Princess but you should see the ones on RCCL and Celebrity

Sorry

TWELVEOHONE has around 20 posts on the discount policy...And now we are supposed to drop the subject!...

but they all work at an on line center that gives great values on cruises. I never speak with anyone just book on line and they do the rest. I guess I have the unknown TA (picture a CSR with a bag over her head) :D

"The people that dream these topics up live inside them and just wait for someone like you to come along to pounce on (as illustrated by the above replies)..." Posted by CruisingIsLife

I'm just not understanding that comment. This topic wasn't "dreamed up" by anyone. It is a real topic that is important to anyone who loves to cruise, as we do here.

Why would anyone want to make it sound like this important cruising issue is inconseqential or illusionary? It will ultimately directly affect anyone who has limited resources to spend on a cruise, which probably is many of us, myself included.

So what is meant by, "the people that dream these topics up..."?

I beg to differ. Those who are unhappy with this policy can choose to cruise on other lines or take other kinds of vacations. And as you've already noted, they can choose to make their opinions known.

Randy

Here is a post TWELVEOHONE made last week..Seems to love this topic:confused: ...

""""""Just copied this from another thread (Cruise Rebating)

Royal Caribbean and Carnival are NOT stopping agents from discounting. RCI along with Carnival are discouraging the uncontrolled rebating that is happening in the industry.

Carnival announced this as being phase two of their rebating policy. Phase 1 was to insure that ALL agencies large and small get the same price.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean simply said that if an agency can afford to rebate then they obviously do not require the commission being paid. If a cruise line is paying 10% commission and the agency rebates half (5%) then it stands that the agency only needs 5% to survive. Cruise lines said if that is the case then they will only pay 5%.

This will be monitored by the cruise lines looking at media advertising by the agencies including the Internet. The first time the agency will be given a warning, after that there will be a cut in commission.

Some of the luxury cruise lines have said that agencies advertising prices below what the cruise line advertises will result in that bookings will no longer be accepted from that agency. I am sure many more cruise lines will follow.

TwelveOhOne """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

The otrher cruise lines will also have a no discounting no rebating policy like RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival, so live with it. Bottom line its done and like it or not nothing you can do about it, so lets drop the subject and move on.

Yes, let's drop it. That'll show the cruise lines! We'll just roll over and take it. You believe posting here and advising people to write to the cruise lines to let them know we aren't happy with the new policy will not change a thing, and you may well be right. However, if no one makes any noise, then there is no chance things will change. Those of us who are posting on this topic think that a slim chance beats no chance. Ya know, you don't even need to use your Back button to avoid topics you don't want to read. Use the 'tool tip' feature and you won't have to waste your precious time with a screen regen!

Ok let me be more direct.

I get email all day from new members who are afraid, yes AFRAID, to post here because of the sarcastic comments that are made frequently to anyone who is new and asks a question that might have been asked before.

I would like to live in a world that never made me uncomfortable too, I have been lambasted by people on these boards for reasons ranging from genuine personality conflict to the fact that I somehow remind them of a parent who wouldn't let them finger paint the new car with dog poop and the "no" still stings.

If you post or read here, chances are good someone somewhere will offend you, the goal would be to be less offend-able rather than waste life energy trying to arrange the world at large so it never does anything to hurt overly fragile feelings.

Chris,

It's not only NEW members that are afraid to post. There are certain subjects that we know not to mention or ask about. I'm have an issue right now, If I were to post it , I would get slammed...

I started a thread about two weeks ago that caused me such grieve by ugly e-mails that I ask Laura to remove it:( .

I think we pick certain people that WE like and answer their post, or pick on them.

I also think sometimes there is a little to much instant messaging talking about each other, Yes I'm guilty also.

Doria just put me in my place and I respect her for it.:) . It was nicley done.

Off my soapbox:eek: :cool:

Ok let me be more direct.

I get email all day from new members who are afraid, yes AFRAID, to post here because of the sarcastic comments that are made frequently to anyone who is new and asks a question that might have been asked before.

Those are "the people" in "the people that dream these topics up"

The "dreaming these topic up" part would probably have been better understood if I had said "the people that find these topics and beat them to death"

No, that's probably ambiguous too

How about "the moaning, sarcastic people who seem to just want to find anything (dream up) to complain about"

Yes, I believe that is better defined.

Thanks for asking!

Archived