vegetarian options

cruisestitch

I don't know if everyone knows this, but there is a separate vegetarian menu available each night -- once in a while there were things carried over from the main menu, but mostly they were not from the main menu. There were vegan options as well. As soon as our table found out that this was available, the waiter brought us those menus every night in addition to the regular menus. I tried the lasagna, the yucca relleno, and several soups. All very good.

Katherine, just back from the Century

They have it for lunch in the dining room as well as for dinner. For some reason, I sometimes had trouble getting the waiter at lunch to bring me the menu. My regular waiter at dinner always had it in my spot before I even arrived.

We had the unfortunate experience of being at a table next to a table where a woman went ballistic when the "vegetarian" polenta she ordered off the vegetarian menu came with crumbled bacon on top - can't say I blame her, although I hope I would have handled it a little better (literally screaming at waiters, maitre d's). So be very careful.

We had the unfortunate experience of being at a table next to a table where a woman went ballistic when the "vegetarian" polenta she ordered off the vegetarian menu came with crumbled bacon on top - can't say I blame her, although I hope I would have handled it a little better (literally screaming at waiters, maitre d's). So be very careful.

I've seen a few times where they have something with meat on the regular menu and a meatless variation of it on the vegetarian menu. I'm guessing the waiter didn't realize she was ordering the veggie one, or perhaps the kitchen didn't realize the WAITER was ordering the veggie one. It would almost be better if there was no overlap between the vegetarian and the meat selections...

I have eaten many things off the vegetarian menu - some where definitely better than others. There are often some things on the regular menu that are vegetarian. But, be sure to ask, I found they frequently use a meat based broth on soups that are normally vegetarian. I would also highly recommend the soy bolegnese - even my family liked it and they are afraid of soy meat!!

My favorite meal of the entire cruise was from the vegetarian menu. It was called a butternut squash "tulip" or something like that. Basically, it was the best-prepared vegetables I've ever had. If you want a meat dish, but you see this on the menu, order it with a friend and share the veggies as side dishes. You won't regret it!

The assistant maitre d and then my waiter always made sure I got to look at the vegetarian menu the day before. I'm not sure why but I guess it was to make sure there was something I liked. I guess if there wasn't they would make up a special order. I always found something I liked and sometimes had trouble deciding. We never ate lunch in the dining room (I enjoyed eating up on deck for lunch) and saw that they had black bean soup for lunch and made a comment to my husband. The waiter said he would save some for me for dinner. I also happen to luck out that trip because the Italian chef was Indian and would make vegetarian Indian dishes for me at the request of the assistant maitre d. First and only time on a cruise I ordered more then one entre. Both the assistant maitre d and waiter received higher then standard tips. I don't think I will ever expect that kind of service again not even on Celebrity, but I do suggest asking if you can look at the menu the day before. When you are following any type of restrictive diet it just good to know that you will be able to find something to eat.

I have found that on the ships where you don't have assigned seating this is just never possible because I guess they don't do that type of catering to you. My mother had no problems on HAL, I could do on Celebrity and on Carnival, but not on NCL or anytime dining on Princess.

I found the specialty restaurant very difficult. They had one vegetarian entree, and it wasn't anything that appealed to me. I eat seafood as well, so I was able to sneak by, but I wish they had a few alternatives for the vegetarians.

Archived